Home
Posted By: Henry McCann Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
From an earlier post, some of you know I recently bought an EG from diamondjim.

The last twenty five years 90% of my hunting has been with a recurve or longbow, and when I've carried a rifle it has been levers with peep sights.

The EG has Weaver bases. What scope would you recommend? I'm thinking a fixed power 4X, or a low range variable. If a variable, I have used a Leupold 1.5-5 on a rifle of my dads that I really liked, but of course want the scope to fit the EG. A friend on another site likes the Brunton 1.5-5. Older Weavers are of course an option.

It will be used for deer and maybe a coyote or two. Another question, Weaver rings to match the bases?

Thanks for your time! Brett

Posted By: billy336 Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
2x7x33 Nikon or leupold are nice and sleek. I've grown fond of the burris Fulfield 3x9, on my 308s. They're modern, but I like em. Have all three mounted at the moment
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
Here's a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 on a 1920 1899A SR. May not be as sleek as you like, but you and I aren't back east taking 25 yard shots through a forest and I like having the 7x view in case it's needed.

[Linked Image]

And the Leupold 3-9x40's have served me very well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: angusmac Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
Brett,

I've got this little Leupold M8 4X duplex with a few light handling marks and I think I have some Weaver rings I'll through into the deal for $145.00 shipped in the CONUS.
[Linked Image]

Let me know,

Paul
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
I like the old Leupold fixed power M8 scopes, in either 4X or even better, the old 3X if you can find one.

[Linked Image]

Rod
Posted By: 260SS Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
2 3/4 power Redfield or 3 power Leupold would be my choice. The lighter you keep the scope the better the rifle will handle.
Posted By: Henry McCann Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
Some great options. I appreciate those that have posted so far!

Brett
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
Nothing but 1.75-6 or 2.5-8 Leupolds for me.
Posted By: lightning Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
I put a 2.5-8 leupold on a 300F based on a suggestion from Calhoun. and about a year ago I picked up a EG in 250 and put a Vortex Viper 2-7X33 on it that works well. Vortex makes a nice scope for the money.
Posted By: RAS Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
I think modern scopes look really goofy on older Savages. But that is my opinion. Get a Unertl Falcon, Weaver K3 or an older Leupold M7 if you want to keep it retro. You will get more chicks with those scopes.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
Don't need anything more than a fixed 4X.
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
I think modern scopes look really goofy on older Savages. But that is my opinion. Get a Unertl Falcon, Weaver K3 or an older Leupold M7 if you want to keep it retro. You will get more chicks with those scopes.

+1

[Linked Image]

Rod
Posted By: KiloCharlie Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/19/13
My EG in .250 wears a Leupold VX-II 2-7X33. My EG in .300 wears an older Redfield fixed 4X. Either scope would be a good choice.
Posted By: benchman Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
Leupy 3-9....[Linked Image]
Posted By: m99g1939 Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
To Angusmac/Paul

Any chance that that M8 scope and rings are still available, as I have a D & T'd M99G that they would look good on? Am interested in purchasing...Either answer here or PM, whichever suits.

Thanks,

Rob
Posted By: RAS Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13

[Linked Image]

Rod [/quote]

Now if you have stiths, you are really going to get the babes. Nice rig Rod. 300? I have numerous guns just like that. Smoked some deer using that exact setup.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
I had a Weaver K4-W on mine until it went TU about a week before deer season started. I had a spare 4X Bushnell Scopechief so that went on in place of the Weaver. My Dad has had a similar Scopechief on his since the mid 70's.

If I replace my Bushnell, it'll either be a Leupold M8 6X that I have on hand or some sort of modern 2-7X. Personally, I don't like the looks of a straight tube scope.

My 2 cents,

Dale
Posted By: 99guy Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
All good choices.

My favorite on post war models is the Leupold 2.5-8x VX III
Posted By: 260SS Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
EG .308W with Redfield Widefield with Weaver mounts, total weight about 8.5 oz. Handles incredibly fast, as it should. This photo is for you, Jeff.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
All good but go for the ones that gets the girls.... wink
Posted By: Henry McCann Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
Thanks again to everyone. Loved the pictures. You can see exactly how a scope will look.

RAS, thanks for the laugh! 28 years ago before I got married, I would have been glad to see if retro scopes would have helped me pick up chicks.
Posted By: bsteve Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
I mounted a Leupold 2.5 Ultralight on my 99F, nice little scope.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
Mine is sporting a Weaver Classic K4, couldn't be happier. That being said, if I were you I'd take Paul up on that M8, be pretty hard to beat that on a 99.
Posted By: 300Savage Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
I like my Weaver K2.5X on my 99F. Lightweight and holds zero year after year, 2.5X is really all you need for Deer Hunting in the Michigan Woods.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/20/13
Not to put a damper on all this, but, really, what kind of a question is this? Similar to "What is the best gun for deer"? Or, "what's the best deer caliber"? IMO,and only me. I feel there is no "best" anything. Best golf club, best car, best anything. It's what you are comfortable with and works best for you. Grab whatever you can see through and can afford slap it on and start having fun. wink whistle
Posted By: 21 Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/21/13
I get that most of us on here are older and need a scope, but my first inclination is to answer the question by saying "none". Scopes detract from the very purpose and handiness of a lever action. I don't scope any of mine.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/21/13
The ULTIMATE Savage 99 carry handle, the Trijicon 2.5-10x56mm Accupoint. Oh yeah baby! grin grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wardman Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/21/13
Saw this for $325 the other day at Cabela's Hamburg used shop

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-5-5x20mm/

Almost bought it to have on hand....
Posted By: sbsmith Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/21/13
I must aggree that all you really need on a 99 is a straight 4x or less. That said, I have 2 EG's and an F. The 300 Sav EG wears a 3x M8 Leupold, the 250 Sav EG ,a 1.75-5 Burris and the 358F, a 4x Leupy. As with all 99's, it's the feel and balance that distinguish it from the others, in my not too humble opinion. All the smaller fixed power scopes add less weight. However, I would like to find a mounting system other than the prohibitive Stith in order to lower the scope on the rifle. All the Weaver's seem too high for good balance. Anyone have any good ideas?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/21/13
I don't see how you can get any lower than low rings on a set of Weaver mounts. They just get higher from there with Redfield and Leupold.
Posted By: boilerpig1 Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/22/13
I like the old Weavers. I use 2.5's, 3's and I have a 4 power that was on my fathers rifle. All were tune up by Frank Ruiz from El Paso.

[Linked Image]

BP...
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/22/13
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
I like the old Weavers. I use 2.5's, 3's and I have a 4 power that was on my fathers rifle. All were tune up by Frank Ruiz from El Paso.

[Linked Image]

BP...

Just doesn't get much better than vintage Weaver or Lyman. Nice looking rig.
Posted By: bbrownie Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/23/13
Originally Posted by 21
I get that most of us on here are older and need a scope, but my first inclination is to answer the question by saying "none". Scopes detract from the very purpose and handiness of a lever action. I don't scope any of mine.

I have a tang sight on my .250-3000, and a williams receiver sight on my .300 savage. they are handy to carry and I can shoot just fine with these sights.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/23/13
The best scope for a '99 is the scope that you can kill game with. Duh! grin
Posted By: r2d2 Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/23/13
When I got my 99 it came with an old Weaver 3x on it. Kind of matched the year so I left it in place. No where near the optic of today but it has done it`s job.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Best Scope for a 99? - 01/23/13
Originally Posted by r2d2
When I got my 99 it came with an old Weaver 3x on it. Kind of matched the year so I left it in place. No where near the optic of today but it has done it`s job.

That's the rub for me. I don't like hazy or yellow sight pictures when I'm hunting for one buck or one opportunity. Leupold Vari X III or better for me.
© 24hourcampfire