Home
Posted By: 3stars Savage billboard - 01/29/13
I thought some of you would like to see this....
This is a billboard my Dad (on the right) and another student painted in sign school in 1948. I noticed they painted the wrong date on the sign and my Dad claimed it was the other guys mistake.. grin It's ironic he painted the sign in a Savage theme and years and years later I would have have caught the "Savage Fever"
bad!!!! Hope you guys like it.
3stars
(Bob)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage billboard - 01/29/13
Nice! Bigger picture for folks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: texken Re: Savage billboard - 01/29/13
thats neat
Posted By: GeneB Re: Savage billboard - 01/30/13
Originally Posted by 3stars
I noticed they painted the wrong date on the sign and my Dad claimed it was the other guys mistake.. grin

I have seen that date before, it is the correct date - after Savage acquired Stevens in 1920 they sometimes used the date Stevens was founded in their advertising.
Posted By: 3stars Re: Savage billboard - 01/30/13
GeneB, That's interesting... Thanks for the information!
You guys sure are a wealth of knowledge!!
3stars
Posted By: GeneB Re: Savage billboard - 01/30/13
Check out the dates on either side of the Indian logo at the bottom of the 1964 catalog cover - 1864 & 1964
www.savage99.com/1960s
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage billboard - 01/30/13
Aha.. I was wondering if they'd accidentally gotten the date for Savage & North, but that was earlier than 1864. Good job, Gene.
Posted By: pigpen Re: Savage billboard - 01/31/13
That's pretty cool,where they paid in guns and ammo?That's real good I'm sure your proud.
Posted By: 3stars Re: Savage billboard - 01/31/13
No guns and ammo for them.... it was a project (final) at a sign painting school he attended in Chicago. My dad grow up hunting pheasant and rabbits with his trusty Stevens .410. I was told it was basically his project, but got help with the final painting.I only wish he would have painted a 99 theme .
3stars
Posted By: circuitrider46 Re: Savage billboard - 01/31/13
Thanks 3stars, wouldnt it be nice to find that sign rolled up in some closet somewhere

CR
© 24hourcampfire