Home
Posted By: jmac4 Savage 99 in 30-30 - 02/19/13
Thinking real hard on picking up a 99 in 30-30. It is not in great condition cosmetically (gray, tang crack etc.) but the action is sound, no rust and no extra holes. By all accounts the barrell is shot out. I haven't verified but that is what the owner says.

In the event of the barrell being truly shot, what are the options. Cast bullets, rebore (if so to what 35-30, 32??). Hoping a good deep cleaning will fix everything up, but just in case. I need a plan.

Thinking of a project gun. Price is very right ($150ish) so I'm just looking for opinions of people who may have been here.

I suppose I could always part it out if things don't work out, but I haven't been able to do that in the past when conditions warranted....

Thanks for any advice/insight...
Posted By: TexasShooter Re: Savage 99 in 30-30 - 02/19/13
To help you put things in perspective, I bought a really nice 99H carbine in 30-30 through the Fire Classifieds a little over six months ago for around $450. Great bore, no cracks or extra holes, flawless function and no scratches or gouges in the wood. No rust or pitting. Metal has a very nice patina. DOM is around 1926. Looks great. Shoots great.

For my money, if you are looking for a 99 in 30-30 (the 99H carbine is a sweet, great handling rifle) I recommend you pass on the rifle you are considering and let the guys on this forum know you are in the market. Long term I think it will be money saved and you will have a nice rifle you can be proud of.

BTW, mine is not for sale. grin
Just my two cents. - T.S.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Savage 99 in 30-30 - 02/19/13
There is a certain satisfaction in bringing one back from the dead.

Mike
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: Savage 99 in 30-30 - 02/20/13
If it was me............I'd go .38-55 WCF. Standard chambering. Readily available dies, brass, bullets. Check out 35caliber.com ....rebore by JES.
Posted By: jmac4 Re: Savage 99 in 30-30 - 02/20/13
Thanks guys, decided to pass, a little rougher than I originally thought/remember.

Posted By: billy336 Re: Savage 99 in 30-30 - 02/20/13
Good call, they are out there. Keep your eyes openings good luck in your search. If I had one I was looking to move, I'd hook you up
© 24hourcampfire