Home
Just came across a 99C. Serial # D164194 in 308. When was it made? What is with the D prefix? Cant find anything about it in the Blue Book or various Savage sites with this serial number, which is on the left side of the reciever. Has a few issues--overall the wood is in good shape, but reciever has some freckles that should mostly clean up. Muzzle however is pitted about 3/16" in (as if it was stored muzzle down on a wet surface). I'd likely have it counterbored about 1/4" or cut back a bit if need be--rest of rifling is pristine. Comes with a Western Field (maybe Western Auto?) private label 3 X 9 X 32mm scope that is nice and clear. I can get it for $300 or less. I'm inclinded to pounce on it. Should be a nice shooter and a scoped gun, maybe even purty it up a bit as a project and shooter gun so I can keep iron sights on my 1954 unmolested EG.
Thoughts and advice everyone?
Buy it, shoot it. Proceed from there.

At $300 you can't lose.
Late 1979 or early 1980. I'd buy it...
Mind if I ask where the date reference data can be found? Blue book (though I agree can be often wrong or full of misprints) says a C was made in 1965 and 95 to 97.

Think I'll check with my smith on the cost of a recrown, back bore or cutback. Then again, it might shoot just fine the way it is. Keep you posted if I get it (which is likely)
Murrays.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Late 1979 or early 1980. I'd buy it...

Rory "nailed" date of manufacture... and I'm a ++1 on the comment.

Shoot it first... don't fix what ain't broke. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
© 24hourcampfire