Home
Posted By: TexasShooter Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/11/13
This is probably "old news" to a lot of you regulars on this forum but it was news to me so I suspect it will be new information to others as well. I have an old Savage 99G in 250 (not D&T) that I wanted to scope with a Lyman Alaskan to closely replicate the first rifle I used as a kid to hunt deer. I searched high and low for a Stith mount for a 7/8 scope to no avail. After completely giving up I bought some reducer rings and was about to go the D&T route. My rifle has absolutely no collector value so why not?

Well, before I made it to the drill press, Lightfoot contacted me to let me know about a no drill sight he makes for 99s. It is a clever design and very simple to install. He charges about half the going price of the Stith and I personally like his set up better. After all, I'm not worried about "period correct". If any of you are in the same boat I was in wanting to scope your 99 but not wanting to drill it, you might drop Lightfoot a note. He's a great guy. - T.S.

Here are a few pics of the no drill mount-
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/11/13
Thanks for the endorsement!

Sure glad you had those scope rings! They bring a pretty penny on good ol' fleabay.
Posted By: RAS Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/11/13
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Sure glad you had those scope rings! They bring a pretty penny on good ol' fleabay.

They are one inch, and a dime a dozen.
Posted By: TexasShooter Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/11/13
Jeff, I'll buy a dozen at that price. Is that shipped? LOL

Yes, they are one inch. I think Mike missed my comment on the reducer rings. laugh
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/11/13
never mind...
Posted By: docost99 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/12/13
TS, how did you get the mount to be that color?
Posted By: TexasShooter Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/12/13
That's the way Lightfoot sent it to me - blued. Some of the pics may look as though it's brown but it's actually blued. A very deep blue at that.
Posted By: RAS Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/12/13
Hi Russell,

That should work out perfect for you. And you need now is a TX hog. There are tons of them around you. Actually, I am taking out a 99 in 30-30 this week for one. Ranch owner is tasking me with a pig removal program.

RAS

"Ranch owner is tasking me with a pig removal program."

That's the kind of chore I go looking for!!

Good luck Jeff.

Russell

Posted By: Skidrow Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/12/13
Hey, that is a great mount. I've got the one before #1 and while I don't have it mounted just now its been on a couple of rifles and has worked great. It may not be really pretty but its slicker than snot on a doorknob. grin
"slicker than snot on a doorknob"

sick
"slicker than snot on a doorknob"

Well, I picked it up from a boy from Mississippi. Once I learned it I've always thought that it was a good descriptive. Of course, I could have said that it was "slicker than Owl [bleep]." Perhaps that would settle better with Yankees. grin Not that I'm accusing you. wink grin
No Yankee here. Native Texan. grin
Like I said, I'm not accusing you. But we do have a world wide forum. Who knows who might be listening. Big Brother? "All pigs are equal but some pigs are more equal than others." grin
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/12/13
The past 2 years I've paid pretty good money to hunt pigs in South Carolina. Our guide said he hunts pigs with a 243, and my 250 looked about the same, so shoot them behind the ear. I told him I had to wait 20 minutes for the darned thing to turn around and show me the backside of it's ear, and it did put him down. A nice 220 pounder. This year I was messin with him about the behind the ear shot and he came back with " I didn't say you "HAD" to shoot him there, that's just a good shot to take." Then he held his fist up against a pig mount and said, "Right here, between the eye and ear, that will do it too." So, this year I shot him in the left eye, came out about an inch behind the right eye. Yep, it worked. Now when people ask how accurate is the 250 I say, "It's got MOPE, Minute Of Pigs Ear, or Minute Of Pigs Eye, either one works, Joe.
I generally go for head shots on hogs. Shoulder shots with an adequate caliber will do the trick. I just don't like having to track them. Half of all the feral hogs in North America reside in Texas. Hunting them is a popular pastime down here. The smaller ones are good eating too.

The behind the ear shot is always a good shot. It drops them in their tracks.

BTW, 220 lbs. is a nice hog. Congrats!
Posted By: RAS Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/13/13
I will be hunting hogs for the next two days. Turkey starts Saturday here in Texas, at least where I will be hunting them in Medina county. I am lucky that I have a local place with a bunch of hogs and another place that currently has a ton of turkeys.

Hogs are funny. There can be zero and then 20 in 15 seconds.

I am bringing my 99G in 30-30 with a Lyman Alaskan carrying a post. If I can get them within 100, their going to be bacon. If I get a big boar, coyote feed.

I killed a medium size boar about two months ago with my 99G in 300 and a sow walked right past me right after the shot, five yards, without much concern. Weird animals.

So far I have killed them with a 308, 7x57, 300 Savage, 270 and 30-06. I missed one with my 348. I seen two BIG boars that are keeping me from bringing lighter bullets. All my 250s shoot 87gr bullets. I want them down for the count immediately.

How can I get in touch with Lightfoot I need one of these.? [email protected]
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/15/16
email on the way.
Posted By: 1899guy Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/17/16
I have purchased several Lightfoot mounts for my 99's. They are excellent!
Posted By: hunter5567 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/15/16
Lightfoot, I sent you a pm also or send info about your mount to me at [email protected].
Thanks
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/15/16
It warms my heart to know cottage industry is alive and well. You go, Mike!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/15/16
Email on the way.

Yup, keeps me outa the bars...
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/15/16
[Linked Image]

Here's mine. The EG on top. 250-3000.
The Lightfoot mount is tremendous

Steve
Posted By: 99hunter Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/15/16
+1 on the lightfoot mount. We have them on 3 of our 99s and they work very nice!
Posted By: rlott Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/16/16
They work good on an 1899 too!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/16/16
Wouldn't it be easier to just drill a couple holes in the top of the receiver? grin
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/16/16
Blasphemy Sir! Be ye a Heretic? wink
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/17/16
Ah, can it, and bring me a shrubbery!
Posted By: rlott Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/17/16
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Wouldn't it be easier to just drill a couple holes in the top of the receiver? grin

Or just fire up the Black-n-Decker and do this!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/17/16
Originally Posted by rlott

[Linked Image]

Piercings are all the rage, ya know.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/17/16

I guided elk hunters for many years in Hell's Canyon of the Snake (deepest canyon in North America).

Our cookie, Vera, had a Savage 99 in .250 that was drilled and tapped for every possible scope mount, receiver sight, tang site and a few more devices not of our universe.

Very cooked ... and in her off time, she sat by the horse watering pool and waited for a bull elk (3-point minimum).

I don't recall her ever going a season without killing a bull elk very dead and right by the watering hole. Many, many evenings, we'd get back to camp and she'd nonchalantly say, "Stevie, My bull is gutted and open; would you help me skin it and hang the quarters?"

"Gladly, darling Vera, gladly."

There are two pointsof the story: .250s kill the crap out of elk and the patient hunter always kills game.

God Bless,

Steve

Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/17/16
Originally Posted by rlott

[Linked Image]

One thing is for certain. The guy who did it damn well lost a lot less sleep over it than is being lost over it today. These things only make the good examples more valuable and, if priced right, give the new guys or the guys who don't care about a little swiss cheese with their deer rifles a real bargain.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 06/17/16
When I lived down state there used to Be a 300"G" with A checkering very nice rifle but for the 9 plus holes on the side and top of the reciver! Guy said he had a letter on the gun but always forgot to bring it with the gun to the show, I think he was asking 1400.00 for it I even offered 900.00 one day and he turned it down! I used to call it Holey Moley!
Posted By: Grandpas99 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/11/18
I would like to purchase one of these mounts. How can I get in touch with you?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/11/18
PM sent.
Posted By: qntf170 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/03/19
I would really love one of those mounts as well......how do I get one???
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/19
Thanks for the endorsement!

Hopefully the time comes when I can make use of one of these fine mounts. Always in the market for another 99.......
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/19
gophergunner - I've got to ask if that is a P47D Thunderbolt or a P43 Lancer you have as a icon? Everytime I see it I wonder which it is. Thanks.
I took that off just some clip art here on the sight. To me, it looks like a P-47. An interesting sidenote-I had an older fellow doing some quality control work for me. He had a background in the aviation field, and was actually on the R&D team that rolled out the P-36 Seversky, which I believe was our first low winged, monoplane fighter. He got a chance to go up for a ride on a B-17 when the airshow came to town. He wasn't going to pay the $500.00 it cost to go up, but the crew that was operating the bomber found out about his history in aviation development, and took him up for a ride free of charge. They even presented him with a really cool repllica flight jacket that they had all autographed.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/19
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I took that off just some clip art here on the sight. To me, it looks like a P-47. An interesting sidenote-I had an older fellow doing some quality control work for me. He had a background in the aviation field, and was actually on the R&D team that rolled out the P-36 Seversky, which I believe was our first low winged, monoplane fighter. He got a chance to go up for a ride on a B-17 when the airshow came to town. He wasn't going to pay the $500.00 it cost to go up, but the crew that was operating the bomber found out about his history in aviation development, and took him up for a ride free of charge. They even presented him with a really cool repllica flight jacket that they had all autographed.

That’s a great story and a damn decent thing for the flight crew to have done. I’m thinking your plane is a P43 Lancer, but I could be wrong. The Lancer was the last development of the prewar airframes that led to the Thunderbolt. The P47, now there’s a piece of American know how that followed the undeniable engineering dictate of “no substitute for cubic inches.”
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/04/19
"The Flying Milk Jug"
Yeah, you just gotta love The Jug. Not nearly as sexy as a P-51 or a Spitfire, but one bad assed to plane to take to a fight. All that firepower by John Moses Browning could really make someone's day turn crappy in a real big hurry. Easy to see why the A-10 took on the same name.
Posted By: Bob_N Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/05/19
I would like some info on your mount.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/05/19
Bob, Mike will see your post and send you a PM. I just put one of his mounts on my 1926 model F in 303. Don't know why it took so long. Easy to install, solid as a rock and looks good.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/06/19
Originally Posted by Bob_N
I would like some info on your mount.

Lightfoot's a good guy. Deal with him and you won't be disappointed.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/06/19
That lightfoot's a pretty swell fella. Bailed me out a time or two!
Posted By: resistant Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/18/19
I would like information about the Savage 99 mount.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/19/19
I'll need your email address. You can leave it in a private message.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/19/19
Pretty soon there is going to be a Lightfoot mount factory.

grin
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/19/19
I think there already is- Mike's garage.

Cottage industry is alive and well!!
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/19/19
I think his mount has already earned its place in the pages of Savage history. Less fifty years from now guys will be finding these mounts and asking where the hey did these things come from.
I started doing this after I retired to keep busy. Thanks to the internet I get busier and busier! Sometimes I wish I had a factory.

I will keep at it a while longer but it is getting to be a job rather than a retirement preoccupation.

Thanks to all for your support!!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/19/19
Whatdoya do with all the new found wealth Mike? Hopefully squander it on Savages!
By the time I put one in the box I am working for less than minimum wage so 'wealth' doesn't really apply.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/19/19
Not that I have a use for one of your mounts right now but maybe I should get one before you decide to stop making them. It's a brilliant solution.
Posted By: Mirabec Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/20/19
New to the forum. Can anyone tell me how to get hold of Lightfoot. I need a scope mount for a 99.
Thanks
Posted By: S99VG Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/20/19
Just go three messages up and click on his name. From there you can send him a personal message.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/20/19
Originally Posted by S99VG
It's a brilliant solution.

Yes it is......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasShooter Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 03/21/19
I like that Snubby Jim!!!

T.S.
Posted By: Ricks99 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/02/20
Good evening all. I have inherited my father's 300 Savage which I used to hunt deer here in WA. There is no model # but I believe it is an 1899 lever action. Serial number shows it was made it n 1930. I am interested in a no drill scope mount and saw the one in this forum. Mine has action and barrel engraving that drilling would alter. It currently has open sights with a peep sight installed behind the ejection port. I love using this rifle but aging eyesight requires a scope. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/02/20
Give me an email address and I can send all the details.
Posted By: ctw Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/02/20
If you provide a picture or two I bet the guys here could identify your model just so you know.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/02/20
action and barrel engraving sounds like a 99K
Posted By: 99guy Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/02/20
Originally Posted by Ricks99
Good evening all. I have inherited my father's 300 Savage which I used to hunt deer here in WA. There is no model # but I believe it is an 1899 lever action. Serial number shows it was made it n 1930. I am interested in a no drill scope mount and saw the one in this forum. Mine has action and barrel engraving that drilling would alter. It currently has open sights with a peep sight installed behind the ejection port. I love using this rifle but aging eyesight requires a scope. Any help would be appreciated.

For the love of God, please do not put the drill to this gun.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/02/20
PM Lightfoot here on the Forum or he might contact you. I think his little hobby is turning into a full time job! smile
Posted By: TristanMB Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/17/20
Hi I live in Manitoba Canada and I am interested in some info on the lightfoot scope mount for my 250 Savage 99.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/17/20
I just received a brand new Lightfoot mount from Mike. FAST service, VERY fair price, and very very well done!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by TristanMB
Hi I live in Manitoba Canada and I am interested in some info on the lightfoot scope mount for my 250 Savage 99.

Welcome to the campfire! Hang around, and within a day or so Mike should show up and send you a message.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by TristanMB

I sent a private message. Look for flashing envelope at top right of screen.
Posted By: dallased Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
I just received a brand new Lightfoot mount from Mike. FAST service, VERY fair price, and very very well done!

You betcha. I received mine a couple of weeks ago. Took 15 minutes to put it on the rifle and install the scope in Leupold rings. That darn mount is fantastic. I am going to an auction the end of the month where there are a couple of interesting Savages. If appropriate and I have enough money with me I will be bringing one home and ordering another mount. I have several savages but I like to recover abused ones and most have been drilled and tapped long before their time. But they are beautiful in their own way and shoot superbly and are fun to fondle.
Evening y'all. I just bought a new to me 1937 300 savage model 99. And I'm looking for a Mount for the scope. That lightfoot Mount looks awesome. How can I purchase one.

Attached picture IMG_20210816_174628869~3_20210816194827988_20210816194928333.jpg
Posted By: Polecat Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 08/17/21
You can private message Lightfoot or send an email to him at [email protected]

Lee
thank you i sent him an email.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 08/17/21
No email yet. If you copy and paste the posted address above you have to retype the @. Copy the one in my sig line.
im resending the email now thank you
No email yet. If you copy and paste the posted address above you have to retype the @. Copy the one in my sig line.

i resent it again
if not here is mine [email protected] thank you sir
Posted By: texken Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 08/17/21
other than period correct, Lightfoot's is much better, imo
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 08/19/21
I received mine from Mike a few days ago and the install was easy.
Just waiting on a set of Leupold low extended rings to hopefully get the eye relief I want from my Leupold 2x7.
If that doesn’t work out, I’ll be looking for a scope with a longer tube for better mounting options.
The Lightfoot mount itself is very well done. 👍
Posted By: Shield462 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 12/11/21
It's been a few years Lightfoot but I wanted to get a feel for your mount before I posted on what I thought. All I can is that your mount is amazing. It has withstood many range sessions and one whitetail hunt. It is well made, easy to mount and looks great. I bought a refurbished vintage Weaver K8 from Vintage Rifle Scopes to complete the look and feel for my great Grandfather's rifle. Keep up the great work.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 12/11/21
Well, thank you very much! How long ago did you put it to use?
Posted By: Shield462 Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 12/12/21
I ordered it from you early 2019 so it's been a minute. If I figure out how to post images on here I will post pictures of the rifle.
Posted By: E Blair Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 12/19/21
Good to see this thread. I have a Lightfoot mount and have not installed it yet. Currently I have a vintage 2.5K Weaver scope on a Stith mount that I also got from Lightfoot. I am realizing the limitations of the old Weaver scope, and thinking of getting a new one a mounting it with the Lightfoot. I would prefer a low power optic, maybe 1-5 to 5x. Good for those close shots. Has anyone gone that route or have recommendations?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 12/19/21
If your Stith mount is a windage mount I can supply a split ring so you can put a modern straight tube on it.
Posted By: E Blair Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/09/22
[Linked Image]

Lightfoot, Is this a windage mount?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lightfoot Scope Mount - 01/09/22
Originally Posted by E Blair
[Linked Image]

Lightfoot, Is this a windage mount?

Yes, indeed. Do I hear 'split ring' in the air...?
© 24hourcampfire