Home
I recently removed the buttplate from my Model 99 and found that the numbers on the plate and the buttstock (the same) do not match the number on the receiver. I assume this means the buttstock was replaced at some point? Is my assumption correct?

Thanks.
More than likely. Are they greatly different? What about the number on the forearm end? Does it match the receiver number? GW
The receiver and forend match and the number is 418,3xx. The buttplate and buttstock is 444,2xx. The seem to be a year off 1946 and 1947.
Yeah, with 5 years difference almost surely replaced.
The difference is one year according to the savage99 website. I am wondering if the move to Mass. in 1946 may have anything to do with this.
I bet it still kills schit dead, no matter the numbers.
Originally Posted by Redrockhunter
The difference is one year according to the savage99 website.

It ain't 1 year. It's 4 or 5.

I have a 22 hi power with nonmatching numbers, but I believe it came from the factory that way....

receiver and forend.........225721
buttstock and buttplate.....227721

I had the rifle lettered and J.T.C. stated a few things could have happened:
1. Buttstock and buttplate could have been mis-stamped.
2. Buttstock and buttplate could have been put on the wrong gun by mistake.
3. Buttstock and buttplate put on from another rifle that was not used....
Thanks, fellows, I appreciate your help.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Redrockhunter
The difference is one year according to the savage99 website.

It ain't 1 year. It's 4 or 5.

reason Rory is saying 5 years is very limited production of sporting rifles during the war years, the normal time frame between those ser no,s could be 16 to 24 months.

norm
The real reason I'm saying it is because we have better dating info than Murray's, which is where Savage99.com gets his data.grin
© 24hourcampfire