Home
I have been looking for an engraved Savage 99 for some time now and was turned off by the Savage 99Ks that I found with it's basic scroll pattern on both sides. Engraved guns with critters on them always ended up well into the 5 digits for a price. So I compromised when I saw the Savage 99A that I just bought. It will satisfy my urge for now. Here is what I got....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1276.photobucket.com/a...ravedleftleveropen_zps00ceab19.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1276.photobucket.com/a...ngravedleftleverII_zpsfdc88224.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y480/TommyGunsNo1/99Engravedbutt_zps7eea1da7.jpg[/img]

The work on this 99 was done by Floyd E. Warren out of Ohio in 1976.
I'm going to polish up the bolt. This will be my newest "close work" deer rifle and fall turkey gun.
Happy for now........

Savage99F358
I like it.
I agree, that work is nicely done. And getting a 250-3000 or 300 Savage that's factory engraved with anything above scrollwork is very nearly impossible. Gonna look good in the woods.
It's the nicest 99A I've ever seen!
Love the dark bluing with the gold. Excellent engraving and old style wood. Very nice rifle in a great caliber.
Great looking rifle. It needs no apologies.
WOW! That should convert a couple traditionalists to have a little love for a post-mil!

That is some beautiful work! I'll bet that is still not a poor man's rifle.
Very nice!
Two thumbs up for that one!! Niiice
I was told by another forum member that this 99A was made in 1971 with serial # A719156. There is no lever boss code. And this mark on the barrel.....
[Linked Image]

I don't know what this means, maybe someone does?

Savage99F358
Very nice! May be a poor mans rifle but looks above my pay grade grin

Lee
I'm going to hope that's a clover on the left.. grin

Don't remember seeing stamps on the bottom of the barrel, but most of the later postmils I've owned were NIB and I didn't remove the forearms. Interesting.
Alittle while ago, i posted that when I took the forearm off my postmil F, i found a large S, and a spade shaped stamp.

Perhaps the inspectors were card sharks, lets see if anyone finds a heart and a diamond on theres to complete the suits.
Very nice rifle sir, I like the turkey side.

Great piece of work...I like it...
A really sweet lookin' rifle... love that dark blue and gold combination. Simply "excellent" in all ways... grin

Thank you for posting the pictures of your prize. smile
well done rifle for sure. the deep relief engraving reminds of a Fox X grade.
The man has talent.

Pretty sure this guys name isn't "Bubba".
Not a poor mans rifle or I would have bid on it when I saw it! You dog! Those SHOOT too. Glad you could swing it, I love a customized 99.
That is simply a splendid rifle. Love that deep blue and gold. Thanks for posting the pics.
Very Nice. Enjoy and Congrats.
Beautiful rifle.

Several years ago I purchased a 99A that was checkered by a gunsmith/stockmaker. Any thoughts of checkering your rifle?

Wayne
I'll be thinking about the checkering, but I have decided to have the bolt jeweled to be more in line with the rest of the gun's enhancements.

Savage99F358
Mike, thats a nice rifle, and one you can still hunt with if you want to, must have cost a few "PIES" !!!! grin grin Don
That's screaming for some tight fitting light streaked walnut with fine checkering. Beautiful work.
Just sweet!
© 24hourcampfire