Home
I'm looking at this 1947 99EG (I believe it is) from a local guy. It is chambered in .300 Savage. Can you tell me what model this is and specifically what I should look for problem wise. Unfortunately it is D&T'd but it does come with the scope.

The finish is excellent and the action was never used by the father (the son is selling it for him), but the father bought it used a long time ago from the original owner who put a few boxes of cartridge through it (he says). I would of course try to get it for less than his asking of $750 (was asking $850 earlier)for the gun, scope, box of ammo? I could probably sell the scope for $150 to $200 I think, so that make the rifle $550 to $600. Reasonable?

I've wanted a Savage 99 for a long long time and am very familiar with Marlin and Winchester levers. Thanks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

difinately an EG, what is the ser no ,tell you if it is 47 , should be 500000 to 525,
Yea luppy should be worth 150-200

gun looks in excellent shape except for DT . excellent shooters ,their asking full price in my opinion but in that shape it should last you 100 years or so plus of course your sons and grandsons.

norm
I don't know the s/n yet.

I thought about removing the scope and mount before buying to see how well the D&T was done. Were these older rifles ever factory D&T and how would I ever find out for sure if this was one of them?

I want to take it to the range and fire it a few times to verify no issues with headspacing.
Originally Posted by OldWolf
I don't know the s/n yet.

I thought about removing the scope and mount before buying to see how well the D&T was done. Were these older rifles ever factory D&T and how would I ever find out for sure if this was one of them?

I want to take it to the range and fire it a few times to verify no issues with headspacing.

look at the left side front of receiver , the savage mod 99 will be showing if it was factory DT but the chances are few, there was some in the 500;000 range that were factory DT. I would just shoot it if it groups well what else do you need,.If it was fired as little as they say head space shold be no probablem. Never hurts to check it out though
You mean near the round counter? If so I don't see it in the pic. I will be looking at the rifle for the first time in the next day or two.
Prior to 1950 I don't think there were any Savage 99's that were factory d&t. Very few EG's that were factory d&t'd until 1955'ish.

Nice hunting rifle there, I hunt with a gray rat made in 1945 and it's accounted for quite a few deer. Got a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40 on it, just about perfect in my mind.
I just bought an extra clean 99EG in 300svg mfg'd in 1950, d&t w/ 1950's Wvr 2.5x scope for $500. I don't care if it was a great deal. It's another great mdl 99 to add to my shooters at a reasonable price in comparison to some of the stuff that's out there...I'd have paid $650 with a good Leupold scope on it. Of course I seldom find any 99's around these parts...have to go to GB or some other site.
This one is $750 with the Leupold scope that I would probably sell for maybe $200. So that is about $550 for the rifle. I think your 1950's Weaver scope sounds like a better fit for this era rifle imho.
Is there a second hole for that rear d&t? Doesn't look like it. There are a number of 99's that were aftermarket d&t for a 3 hole sight base like that base, but it makes it impossible to put other bases on without getting another hole drilled.

Normal factory d&t for sight bases had 2 holes on the front of the receiver, and 2 in the back.
What kind of base mount is that anyway?
Nice rifle, appears to be worth the money. Buy and shoot!

*PS If you think a 1950's Weaver will serve you better than that Leupold, I would question that. Might appear more era correct, but that's it.

It is a Leupold mount and has 3 screws.
in my area that would be a reasonable price for that rifle
it looks to be in very good condition all though drilled and tapped
find out more about what year it is could be factory drilled
the EG was the work horse of the 99's IMO they are the most common 99 ..great scope too
it will never go down in value as long as its cared for

plab
I thought the Leupold VX1 scopes were the low value models and not so nice (as compared to the higher priced models). Am I wrong?
Buy it and be happy with it. Leave the Leupy on it and enjoy the heck out of it.
I'd hunt it and shoot it as is. It's a nice set up. Nothing wrong with the VX-1. It's a good scope.

3 hole set up is definitely not factory.

It's not a $600 gun without the scope more like $500 as the D&T hurts it's value but not it's functionality.

$650-$700 would be a more reasonable price for everything IMO.
I thought the Leupold VX1 scopes were the low value models and not so nice (as compared to the higher priced models). Am I wrong?

True, they are not as nice as the higher priced models. But, the higher priced ones aren't as good as the Zeiss scopes.

So while not as nice... they are plenty good enough for your average deer hunter.

[Linked Image]
Not a rip off, but not a bargain either. Id prefer to have that rifle to most anything I could buy new today in the same price range.
As Will Rodgers said years ago...."Land is a good investment....they quit making it." (Maybe does not apply to the Louisiana delta) They quit making 99's. If in doubt go buy an Axis.(just kidding) Like Justin Wilson said about cooking with wine.."Cook with the wine you like...if you like the wine...cook with the wine."
Was looking at a handfull of 99's today. Most were priced $500-$550 range (no scope). With the older Leupold scope, I'd say $750 is a tad high, though not by much.

I think $700 would be a fair deal for both parties.
I wonder how many people who say the price is to high would sell you one like it for less?
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I wonder how many people who say the price is to high would sell you one like it for less?

LOL. Exactly.
A .300 eg is nothing to rush for. I would wait for a correct .308, or anything other than .300.
Originally Posted by Angus1895

None on this forum! smile
Buy it. In three years it will seem like a bargain.

Looks like a fine huntng rifle.
I bought an EG in .300 Savage just like that one, though not in as good shape for $350 a couple of years ago. Mine isn't drilled and tapped, but I put a good Lyman or Redfield (can't remember at the moment)and is a good shooter. It will be my primary deer rifle this year with a cast bullet load it shoots well.

That price seems a bit high for the most common 99 variant to me, but 99s are really cool and if I wanted it, I'd probably bite the bullet and get it if I could afford it.

I have my eye on a 99R in .300 for about $750 right now. I like the 99Rs, the extra weight seems like it would make them better shooters. The 99R has a Marbles Tang sight on it and is in pretty nice shape, no recoil pad installed or anything like that.
Originally Posted by lauren
A .300 eg is nothing to rush for. I would wait for a correct .308, or anything other than .300.

I'd wait for a 308 too. It's a much better deer gun that the 300. wink

I've seen deer shake off 300 rounds like bee stings.
do you think a deer is ever gonna know the difference between a 300 and 308 ? never 300 savage is a great caliber for deer.
I have some 300's that shoot real tight groups. the 300 is well capable of taking game at 300 yds if the shooter can do his part

plab
Originally Posted by Calhoun

True, they are not as nice as the higher priced models. But, the higher priced ones aren't as good as the Zeiss scopes.

So while not as nice... they are plenty good enough for your average deer hunter.

[Linked Image]

And, IMO, better than an old unsealed Weaver. I have had too many older Weavers fog up on hunts. Much prefer a new Leupoy, even a vx1.
Originally Posted by lauren

It may be the most common but you'd never pry mine away from me!

I lucked into a real nice .308 factory D&T. Featherweight I belive it is. I love it but it won't do anything the .300 won't.

I wouldn't call that .300 EG a bargain but neither is it unreasonable. In fact, the only rifles I see around here for less look a whole lot worse. That one is pretty nice. Had I not gotten my .308 I'd have pounced on the .300 shown.
Some here call the 300 eg, Tomato stakes. I would take a 300 f, over an eg. I would take a 308 f over both of those.
The 300 savage reloads for me better than the 308. I think a 300 savage is the perfect round available for the lever action.
© 24hourcampfire