Home
Posted By: campsquire rust prevention - 12/19/13
The other day I bought a can of "Boeshield" rust and corrosion inhibitor.
I spray it on a cloth then quickly wipe it on my gun metal. Within about a half a minute it sorta solidifies like a wax rather than stay liquid. It feels like it's somewhere between a wax and an oil. It's clear, leaves no streaks, and can be wiped off if need be.
I'm real impressed with it.
I would think it outperforms regular gun oil in a wet environment. It also may be real effective for long term storage of a firearm.
Boeing Corp developed it as a corrosion inhibitor for its' airframes.
I'm not associated with the product by any means. I just bought some, (despite its' price $26.00).

Can you think of any reason not to use?

See pic below.
[img]http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/jaspit/IMG_0156_zpsc5ede48c.jpg?t=1387466935[/img]
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: rust prevention - 12/19/13
I use a similar product on customers parts for long term storage. They combine solvents and wax. When the solvent evaporates the wax is left behind as a barrier.

My concern would be the possible affects of the solvent on wood finish.
Posted By: campsquire Re: rust prevention - 12/19/13
Yeh GD, that was a concern of mine too.
On the other hand, I've read heavy apps of regular gun oil (petroleum) on unsealed wood aren't the best thing either.
Apply with care I suppose.
Posted By: crowmagnum Re: rust prevention - 12/19/13
I hope it is effective. It would be a third option for me.

I've had succcess with EEZOX and Old World Snake Oil (recommended by
many on this site). No problem (even recommended for) protecting wood.

Keep us posted.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: rust prevention - 12/19/13
Sounds like neat stuff, but I'll second the reservations re: effects on wood. I simply use a good paste wax that I know is good for wood, on the metal too. Oil goes in the bore and mechanism, not so much on the outside. Just my method YMMV.

Perhaps spray some on a cloth to apply to the steel only, to avert overspray onto the wood?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: rust prevention - 12/19/13
+1, no gun oil on the outside of the gun EVER unless I'm cleaning crud off of the receiver, and then the stock is usually off. Course, I don't put anything waxy on the outside of my guns either beyond Snake Oil, and I'm very frugal when putting that on wood.

Problem with something new is that it may take several years for any bad effect to show. How long has Boeshield been on the market?
Posted By: bsteve Re: rust prevention - 12/19/13
I bought a spray can about 5 years ago to use on the hardware on my boat. It contains parafin. No idea when it was invented but it isn't new.
Posted By: campsquire Re: rust prevention - 12/19/13
Hmmmm...snake oil...not exactly a great name to market something successfully. I'll have to try it though (just like I tried "Salty Vag..a Potato Chips"....love em.
Maybe it's where I live but I have a rifle or two lacking bluing in places. If I put nothing on them I'd have rust inside a month. Both relative humidity and temperature are all over the place here in VT.
Posted By: texken Re: rust prevention - 12/20/13
Boeshield was actually used by the Boeing co. for aircraft, I have used it for 30rs on my cast iron sawtables etc. and it is the best thing I have ever used to protect metal. as for wood I would not use.
Posted By: campsquire Re: rust prevention - 12/20/13
Yeh texken. Good idea. Think I'll walk down into my cellar and apply some to my table saw.
I've got a rifle that was missing it's bluing entirely. I've cold blued it a couple times. Despite this effort, every year it seems to develop that reddish "I'm about to rust petina" if you look at it in good light. When I get a moment I'm going to cold blue it again and follow it up with the Boeshield. I'll know how effective it is in a year or so.
Posted By: billy336 Re: rust prevention - 12/21/13
RIG
© 24hourcampfire