Home
Posted By: tal35 Savage model 20 stock - 12/21/13
Would there be any interest in savage model 20 stocks? I have a good stock and there is a very good stock duplicator in the area, just thinking out loud here and want opinions.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/21/13
Yes sir. I would be.
Posted By: velcro Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/21/13
I'm in for one.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/21/13
As always, depends on the price. grin
Posted By: richhodg66 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/21/13
I need one and the only source I found apparently discontinued them. Let me know when you get set up, I'll take one.
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/21/13
I can tell you that I had an original stock for sale last year and I received a lot of email about it for several weeks. I think that there would be quite a bit of interest in repro stocks if they were done well and if the price was reasonable.

Rod
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/21/13
Todd, see if he'll do 1895 stocks.
Posted By: tal35 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/23/13
I will check into it, I have a nice shape 1920 stock, were the 20/26 different? Which would be of more demand? What is different on the 1895 stock from the 1899?
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/23/13
The 1920 has a svelte stock while the 1920/26 has a heavier stock with a bulkier pistol grip. The barrel channel may also differ in the two models. More 1920s models were manufactured.

Demand? Probably the leaner, lighter stock. smile
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/23/13
1895 had a different shape to the forearm and the "pads" were shaped differently on the buttstock... I also assume that it would have the same longer upper tang of the pre-90,000 1899s.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/23/13
The only model 20 I've ever seen did not have an original stock. Would you post a photo?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/23/13
Some 1920's..

[Linked Image]

Top one is an 1895 stock I could use... grin
But you can see the rounded side pads and the bottom of the forearm curves upwards a bit, unlike the straight bottom of an 1899 forearm.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/23/13
Here is a 20....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: norm99 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 12/23/13
Originally Posted by tal35
I will check into it, I have a nice shape 1920 stock, were the 20/26 different? Which would be of more demand? What is different on the 1895 stock from the 1899?

difference in 1899-95 95has a longer cheek [receiver pad ] elongated and rounded on the end i'll have to measure tang lengths and hight of tangs , i'll do that tomorrow

norm
Posted By: tal35 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/02/14
I got the guys name that stock dups. they are about 80% complete, no checkering my cost is $140 is it worth it?
Posted By: richhodg66 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/02/14
I'd like one. Can someone provide a template for the original checkering? Also, where can a guy get a replacement buttplate that is correct as mine is gone?
Posted By: S99VG Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/02/14
Could be. Keep us posted.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/05/14
This thread prompts me to remember the following:

Found a 20/26 in .300 here in So Cal, in case anybody wants to look at it. Negatives: side mount drilled and fitted and scope, unfortunately, it also has a Bishop stock. Metal is great outside, (if you discount the scope mount holes).

I wasn't interested in another big game caliber, but if anyone is, I can check the bore condition for you, find out what the scope is, what the mount is, see if they will reduce the price without the scope, etc. This shop wants $500 for it, which is high, but not unusual here in the "OC". They might deal; I've done business with them (once) but never tried to dicker. Didn't note down the serial but remember it was 4-digit.

PM me if interested (I don't have any stake in this shop or this deal, but know that somebody MIGHT want a 20/26).
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/05/14
Does it have the bolt sleeve sight? If so, there's pretty much half of the asking price.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/05/14
Kind of off topic, but I need a taller blade for the front sight on my 1920. Are they available or would I be better off trying to make one?

Thanks,
John
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/05/14
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Kind of off topic, but I need a taller blade for the front sight on my 1920. Are they available or would I be better off trying to make one?

Thanks,
John

There Out there
Look on E-Bay from time to Time You'll find One.
But Probably Faster if ya Make One
Posted By: docost99 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/05/14
I had to use a higher front sight in mine, too. I bought a sight blade for a 30-40 Krag (IIRC)for the right height, and then had a kind soul cut the length down for me.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/05/14
Thanks guys. I'll keep looking, but probably attempt to make one in the meantime.
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/05/14
Originally Posted by docost99
I had to use a higher front sight in mine, too. I bought a sight blade for a 30-40 Krag (IIRC)for the right height, and then had a kind soul cut the length down for me.

What Soul, Mines Gone. grin Waiting on a Beer to Revitalize it! grin
Posted By: docost99 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/06/14
I'll get you that beer, Steve. I think I was the only one to bring a public beer cooler to the last fest.
I have to have a couple for lightfoot for all he has done for me this year. George, too.
Maybe I should get a 1/4 barrel....
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/07/14
Brian,

Make it a pony keg. Betting there ain't many folks here that know what that is. Mentioned in Johnny Cash "Jackson." "dancing on a pony keg."
Posted By: docost99 Re: Savage model 20 stock - 02/07/14
Maybe some good ol' Wisconsin Amber brewed right there in Middleton, WI.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Savage model 20 stock - 11/25/14
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Originally Posted by elkchsr

Thanks,
John

There Out there
Look on E-Bay from time to Time You'll find One.
But Probably Faster if ya Make One

PM member Kaywoodie. He made a taller one for mine out of brass stock, and it turned out nicely. I had swapped in a bolt with a Lyman 54 to mine, and it worked out perfect with the new front sight.

For that matter, I have a "parts" 1920. I bought it sometime back, from a young vet who posted about it here. It had an un-modified bolt with Lyman 54 mounted. I checked the headspace and it easily swapped into the other 1920 on hand.
© 24hourcampfire