Home
Posted By: 264wm Savage Four-Tenner - 03/21/14
I have a Savage Four-Tenner shotgun gauge adapter that adapts the 12gage to a 410 gauge still in original box with original instructions that fits all single and double barreled break shot guns. Is this collectable? What info on the value is there?
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/21/14
They sell on eBay for between $50 and $90 in the box.

Rod
Posted By: 264wm Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/22/14
Thanks
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/22/14
264 wm, I sold one recently for 200.00 so yes they have value and are collectable. mine was 20/410 I would think yours is more desirable.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/22/14
Originally Posted by deerstalker
264 wm, I sold one recently for 200.00 so yes they have value and are collectable. mine was 20/410 I would think yours is more desirable.

12 to .410 is the MOST common. 20 to .410 is next and 16 to .410 is not too common. Don't believe me?????????????? FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't give $200 for one no matter what. smile
Posted By: Loggah Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/22/14
You just dont like 410's ! smile
Posted By: 264wm Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/22/14
The one I have looks like it has only had a few rounds down it and looks new. Have any of you ever used one? Just wondering how they pattern. I can't remember if it was mine or one of my brothers from the 50's or 60's.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/23/14
I've sold about a half dozen Four-Tenners in various gauges this past year. For a 12 gauge average would be $50-60 unless you find someone that's just got to have one and he's up against another bidder that just got to have one. Selling one for $200 was catching a rare fish.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/23/14
I used a Four-Tenner in a 12 guage model 220 that I got REALLY cheap at a garage sale in Vermont back when that was all I could afford (after the '80s "recession") I found the Four-Tenner in a gunshop in CT that didn't know what it was (no box) and got it and some "broken boxes" of old paper .410 shells for about nothing.

The reason I got it was that the 220 just kicked too hard with regular 12 guage factory shella. I never patterned the combination, but it was perfect for cottontails and not bad for grouse, especially with smaller size shot (7 1/2s). I even jump shot a couple of woodies and a mallard with it with 6s.

And the 30" barreled 12/.410 guage 220 handled nicely too, if you could get it free from the Vermont berry and wild grape vines....

I've kept the Four-Tenner for the 12 guage barrels of my Savage 2400s, but never used it since I moved out here to CA. 2400s are heavy enough to soak up 12 guage recoil just fine.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/23/14
Gun show today had 4 if the 12-410 and no boxes at $15 each. They stayed there.

Posted By: deerstalker Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/25/14
LBK, don't know what I did to ruffle your feathers but I'm sorry for whatever it was. I should have added that the 200 I got for the adapter was a package deal with a savage 24. again sorry if I offended you somehow.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/25/14
Originally Posted by deerstalker
LBK, don't know what I did to ruffle your feathers but I'm sorry for whatever it was. I should have added that the 200 I got for the adapter was a package deal with a savage 24. again sorry if I offended you somehow.

I am getting a little tired of this "written" word thing. My feathers are NOT ruffled.......... When we read, we inject feeling to the words. Most times they are the WRONG feeling. You said nothing that offended me. All I said was that I would not pay $200 for one PERIOD. You need not apologize to me. You're more of a man than most. wink smile
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/25/14
thank you sir for the response. the last thing I would want is to offend anyone (excepting northwestalaskan) on the fire. I certainly would never pay a like amount for a four tenner myself. the deal I made was a 24 savage 22mag/20ga for a m70 stainless 7mm mag and the other guy gave me 200 for the 410er.
have a wonderful day. tom
Posted By: 264wm Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/25/14
Do all the four tenners come chambered in 2 3/4 and 3 inch?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/25/14
I've been looking at those things since I opened my first Shooter's Bible back in the Pleistocene Age, but never owned one. Do they work? I get the sense that people look down their noses at them but don't know why.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/26/14
the one i had was a 3 inch
gnoahhh, mine worked very well. was great for grouse and wood peckers on my gable.
Posted By: 264wm Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/26/14
Did you ever pattern it? I was thinking of getting a old break single to try it in for grouse. You can find the old breaks cheap at yard sales.

seems like I did pattern it. seems like a 30" pattern at 25 yrds out of the 20ga mod barrel. can't be certain as that was about 5 years ago and half my memory has fled me since then. maybe I can talk my bil into letting me pattern it for him and report back.
he will never do it as he is to busy watching little house on the prairie. would like to get it back from him.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Savage Four-Tenner - 03/26/14
"Some people look down on them" because they weren't made by Briley or Kreighoff.

But the same people look down on Savages in general, so I wouldn't worry about them much--in fact I'm very glad they and their money haven't completely infected the Savage market like they have the Winchester and Colt markets.

Just my grumpy "hump day" opinion.
© 24hourcampfire