Home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4kPH6I-gfk
A BIG "THANK YOU" to you, "Skid"... !!! A really useful and "interesting" post.

Below is the net addrress of NRA's photo Museum for our Forum Members to browse... lotsa interesting "stuff" on this page as well. smile

www.nramuseum.org

Enjoy, my friends... grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Is it really the one millionth 99 or is it just a 99 with one million as it's serial number ?

Savage pretty much skipped the 800000 serial number block.

Mike
It's definitely not the 1 millionth, just has the serial number.
Is it really the one millionth 99 or is it just a 99 with one million as it's serial number ?

Of course it's not actually the one millionth 99. What is was was good advertising for Savage. Since when does advertising have to be truthful. wink grin
So let me get this straight. If you are counting actual production it is a pre-mil, but due to the safety mechanism it is truly post mil. And by serial number alone it is just plain MIL. Anything but "run of the mill".
Since Savage only made a few 800,000 serial number rifles it's for sure that rifle wasn't number 1,000,000.
Jimmy, since premil means a serial number under 1,000,000 - it's not a premil. Now if it meant 1 of the first million made... But it doesn't.

You are right it's not post mil tho. grin
The fake 1 millionth rifle interests me not at all.

What piques my curiosity , When did the absolute very last Savage 99 leave the factory ? What was it's serial number ? Who owns it ?

Mike
When did the absolute very last Savage 99 leave the factory ? What was it's serial number ? Who owns it ?

Good luck with that. It seems that Jerry's Sports Center bought the last of the Savage 99 stock, as they were the only distributor that I could find still selling them in the early 2000s, and they were cataloging them in .308 and .243 and then only in .243 and then around '04-'05 they were gone.
I guess it doesn't really matter what the actual millionth 99 was as this the rifle Savage stamped with a one and six zeros. Great video and thanks for posting the link!
you guys are just running this through the mil LOL

plab
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Since Savage only made a few 800,000 serial number rifles it's for sure that rifle wasn't number 1,000,000.

Lots of other holes in the production of 1899s and 99s then just the 800,000. And then to add to the confusion, there were some guns made with duplicate serial numbers. There were a LOT less duplicates then there are holes however.
Anyone know or want to guess how many 99's were actually produced? Even a ballpark figure? David
There's an old thread where we listed all the premil gaps. I'll see if I can't find it.

Nobody has the FAINTEST idea of a postmil count once the letter prefixes started.

PS: Old thread:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5857041/1
Thanks Rory. That thread is really interesting. David
© 24hourcampfire