Home
Posted By: MrFurious Multiplication - 10/06/14
It took me 12 years to finally buy my first 99, and now five months to the day I came home with my second. Would have had a third as well if I would have brought more money to the show with me.

[Linked Image]

Top one is the one I got today and is an 1899 TD in .300 Sav. (S/N 2581XX) that I believe is from the mid 1920's. Lever boss stamp is a lonely "S" (no number).

Bottom one is from 1952 and is also in .300 Sav. Serial # is 6586XX and the date stamp is 26D.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Multiplication - 10/06/14
Early 99F and a nice EG. Quality guns, but they definitely do multiply. grin
Posted By: MrFurious Re: Multiplication - 10/06/14
So any idea when Savage finally stopped stamping Model 99's with "Savage 1899 Model" on the receiver bridge? That kind of threw me as everything else screams 99F TD (integrated front sight base, shotgun style butt plate, 24" light sporter barrel and straight grip stock).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Multiplication - 10/06/14
Originally Posted by MrFurious

[Linked Image]

1899 TD in .300 Sav. (S/N 2581XX) that I believe is from the mid 1920's. Lever boss stamp is a lonely "S" (no number).

The "S" is not a date code. The date codes didn't start till 1949. Too late for your VERY nice rifle.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Multiplication - 10/06/14
Originally Posted by MrFurious
So any idea when Savage finally stopped stamping Model 99's with "Savage 1899 Model" on the receiver bridge? That kind of threw me as everything else screams 99F TD (integrated front sight base, shotgun style butt plate, 24" light sporter barrel and straight grip stock).

[Linked Image]

Sometime around '26 or '27 I think. It's a 99F regardless of that stamp, it throws a lot of folks.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Multiplication - 10/06/14
Just think what you might have in the rack had you not waited 12 years to buy the first one. grin
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Multiplication - 10/06/14
Originally Posted by Rick99
Just think what you might have in the rack had you not waited 12 years to buy the first one. grin

"Don't wait, BUY NOW! If you buy today, we'll throw in this pristine 99K for ONLY $1495!..." grin
Posted By: MrFurious Re: Multiplication - 10/06/14
Well, I did try to buy a 99 in 7mm-08 about 6-7 years ago for $700 at the local gun show but just missed out on it. The next week several of you engaged in a bidding war over it when the guy that bought it put it up for sale on GunBroker. One of you fine fellers ended up paying close to $2,800 for it if I recall correctly.

Needless to say that was the last time I went to the gun show without at least a grand in my pocket "just in case."
© 24hourcampfire