Home
After a long wait, and assuming that the NJ NICS system is up and running, I hope to take possession of my first 99 tomorrow:

[Linked Image]

I was able to reassemble the gun while it has been waiting at my local FFL.
I will now need to knock out the rear leaf sight and install the Lyman tang aperture sight:

[Linked Image]

These are both within my limited technical capabilities.

My goal, after sighting her in, is to be able to hit a 9" pie plate at 100 yards with a clean cold gun on a first shot from a standing position.

Range report to follow.
Should do it no problem. Going to really enjoy that one.
Good way to start your future collection.

Your hooked.

Welcome to the club.

Kind of like getting married.

For better or worse, richer or poorer...
Bet you can't own just one. I started last year, bought another this fall, and I think I'm getting another one in the next few days. They are a fun gun to own and shoot.
Instead of a blank, take a look at putting a Lyman #6 or 16 folding rear sight. The number 6 would be age appropriate for your 99. Nice looking rifle.
Welcome to the addiction. One of the better ones that I have had.
Enjoy the hunt.
Now you guys are forcing me to get a Lyman No. 6.

Do you have no decency or shame.
I took possession!
Tang sight is on, but the rear leaf sight is stuck in the dovetail.
I will need to send the barrel to my gunsmith.
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
I took possession!
Tang sight is on, but the rear leaf sight is stuck in the dovetail.
I will need to send the barrel to my gunsmith.

You're never going to make it into the Tinkerbell Club like that. Can you soak it, free it up? Use a brass drift to tap it out.
I have a pretty hefty brass punch I use with equal size ball peen. Put some tape on the barrel in case it gets away from you then line it up good and smack the dog chit out of it. Pecking away at them is the worse thing you can do. Brass wipes right off with a little oil and the sight is in good shape.
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I have a pretty hefty brass punch I use with equal size ball peen. Put some tape on the barrel in case it gets away from you then line it up good and smack the dog chit out of it. Pecking away at them is the worse thing you can do. Brass wipes right off with a little oil and the sight is in good shape.

I let the Kroil set in for a couple of hours, held my breath, and gave a big hit on my biggest punch.

Shazzam!

Came out with two hits.
Best you have it done right then. It took a while to brew up the courage to tackle the first one.
PB Blaster and time. They come out rather easily.
Sometimes a Tinkerbell will chink up the sight with a chisel or some such to make a tighter fit in the slot.
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

I let the Kroil set in for a couple of hours, held my breath, and gave a big hit on my biggest punch.

Shazzam!

Came out with two hits.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. grin
[Linked Image]
Nice rifle and background.
Nice! Very nice!
Nice looking EG you got there. Nice tang site with it too.
Originally Posted by steve99
Nice looking EG you got there. Nice tang site with it too.

I think it's a G

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire