Home
Just got this rifle and know its something special but not sure how special and what its worth. Its Sn# is in the 40000 range and its a 303. I believe it has what is the highest grade of engraving that was offered at the time. It has an octagon barrel and is in excellent condition. I would like to know what i have here. Any info would be helpful thank u. If i new how to put a picture on here i would
post photos

Johno
Could you email a pic to somebody if you had an email address?

Or describe the engraving. Does it have animals? What animals are on it?
This post certainly has some intrigue smile
Originally Posted by boltman

+1
Originally Posted by 99trix
Originally Posted by boltman

+1

REAlly confused grin
Maybe like this

[Linked Image]

or this

[Linked Image]

or these

[Linked Image]

Yea its just like that one.. laugh
I have dreams about the lion rifle. When it sold I bid every bit of $ I could come up with but it went to live somewhere else. The guy that was selling it said it came out of Michigan. Would be interesting to see what the letter says.
Wondering if anyone was able to get pictures of the rifle?
The Guy that commented right after your three photos seems to be poking fun at the idea that i might possess one of the rifles in your photos, well I ll be dipped in dog [bleep] because yes my rifle is identical to the second pictured rifle. the one with the hunter in the back ground taking aim at the grizzly. As proof on the other side are 3 does and a watching Buck. laugh All parts like the butt plate ect have matching SNs. Sn is around 48.???
Originally Posted by ctw
Wondering if anyone was able to get pictures of the rifle?

You obviously have a very special gun, it helps to share pictures, that's good medicine for us who will never have one.
Not a lot of factory engraved rifles and the higher the grade the fewer made. Yours might be a higher E grade engraving. Given the serial range I can't say what else it might have as they were generally built on request at that time. Good pictures are needed. If you can't load them you can send to one of the guys for posting for you.
yodaddy, that would be "E" engraving (grades ran from A to G).

If people here are a bit skeptical, it's because we get lots of folks who come in with what they "think" are diamonds, and end up being very pretty rhinestones. grin

But if you really have an E engraved 1899, then you have a seriously desirable rifle. One that most of here are very jealous of!

Here's a link to one that sold on auction:

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1148-superb-factory-e-engraved-savage-model-1899-rifle-44790/

Tell us other details about the rifle. 26" barrel? Round, octagon, or half-octagon? Crescent buttplate? Straight buttstock, or does it have a pistol grip? How nice of condition is it compared to the one I listed above?
I see Rick beat me by a few minutes.

Also.. for $30 you really should send for a letter and get details on who it was sold to, when it was shipped, etc.

John T. Callahan,
Savage Arms Historian
PO Box 82
Southampton, MA, 01073
New address 2012

New prices as of 12/1/2006:

Savage 1895's, 1899's and 99's are $30.00

Send serial number and details of the item, allow 5-6 weeks for delivery.

Make payable to John T. Callahan
C'mon yodaddy, get that camera clicking, we want some pics!
yodaddy
Wondering what but plate the rifle has? Are there any markings on it?
The owner of this rifle asked me to post some pictures. They are not the clearest, but what he sent me. It is a 1899B with what looks to be a nickel washed receiver. DOM around 1905 give or take with it being engraved. Doesn't look like the highest grade wood available. Looks like it has been hunted and used. Wood isn't as proud or as sharp as it should be so the wood probably has been sanded and refinished along the way. Doesn't have sling studs, swivels etc. I don't know if it has been drilled and tapped. I don't know if there is a name engraved on it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/99trix/IMG_20150205_203805.jpg[/img]

Looks like "E" engraving.
Thanks for posting the pictures, Blair.
That one is just begging for a letter.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
That one is just begging for a letter.

Totally agree Rory!
Impossible to tell from the pictures, but I would guess that wood is upgraded. Maybe an English Walnut stock upgrade?
Yes up graded but not the top of the line offering for the day.
The checkering is the "$8" version which was dropped around 1905. It's pictured in Murray, page 5-6. Not in the best of conditions but still a nice item, especially if it letters as being plated!
So after seeing a few pics of the rifle Is any one interested? please private message me with any offers. Realistic offers and no trades.How many Rifles like this were made?
yodaddy, PM sent
Nice gun, shouldn't sell it, never see another.
Any one else get the rifle? Yodaddy didn't answer my PM. He says to PM him so I'm guess he knows how PM's work. David
yodaddy (Member #56715)
User
Registered On: 11/29/14 11:06 AM

I'm sure your not the only one that expressed an interest in his rifle. He has not replied back to me either..

plab
Its all about marketing or trolling, whatever cranks your bait. GW
Sorry if i havent gotten back to everyone with more pics and info been very busy and will try and do so in the next day or two. One piece of info i have not gotten really is the possible value range for a rifle like this. thanks
Ok finally have good photos of the rifle and a better understanding of its value. With that being said if any of you are interested in purchasing and would like to see the photos send me a message and i will email them to you. thanks Adam. I do want to sell so bring your offers
You might try posting it down in the "Free Classifieds."
Originally Posted by Skidrow
You might try posting it down in the "Free Classifieds."

+1.
O.K., since on one else asked, I will. How'd you wind up owning this rifle?
This has been on before check around 1/23/15 I have a lot of photos of it as it has been for sale for a long time the owner will not price it he is some where near Lightfoot in that state that will soon fall off the U.S. and take a swim
Sounds like he's not a gun guy. I can't relate.
I hate to brake it to you Fug1899 you know not what you talk about.shhhhhhhhhhhhh
Dose anybody know if John T. Callahan is still located at Po box 82 Southampton, Ma 01073 and if the price is still $30?
You goddda be kidding!!

You come here and insult one of the most revered collectors in the country and expect help.

Buzz off nimrod!!
just stating the facts the gun has not been for sale very long and he couldnt have "alot" of pictures of it since I v only shared what maybe 5 pics.
Well, whadda you want for the damned thing? I find it much easier to sell something if I put a realistic price on it. This isn't an auction site.
I gave up wasting my time on it

plab
Don't worry we have them up here in the north as well. They want to insist five digit rifles chambered for 30-30 Win are 1895s and worth the better part of 4K.

What is that saying you got down your way, "Can't fix… ignorance?" wink
Originally Posted by yodaddy
Ok finally have good photos of the rifle and a better understanding of its value. With that being said if any of you are interested in purchasing and would like to see the photos send me a message and i will email them to you. thanks Adam. I do want to sell so bring your offers

I'll give you my best Texas shot..."6 bits" and not a penny more:)
Originally Posted by olgrouser

What is that saying you got down your way, "Can't fix… ignorance?" wink

Can't argue with ignorance.

Can't fix stupid.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Jim, are you posting photos for Yodaddy or did you buy it?
Just posting, Rick.
Get a price you could post?
No, but I didn't ask. My fault.
Yodaddy you don't have to brake anything to me I tried to buy this gun along with the 1903 Winchester you have and you dried up like the wind so blow some place else.
diamondjim he would not put a price on the gun so don't feel bad for not getting a price he wants to start a bidding war
on a well use gun
Once upon a time, that was a nice one, Joe.
Put the dam thing on GB with a penny start and you will find out what the market thinks it worth.

Let's move on!
© 24hourcampfire