Home
Posted By: Twinkletoes 99A ?? - 01/18/15
A couple years ago, I added another 99 Savage to my accumulation. At the time, the seller told me it was an A. It resembled an A, so I just assumed it was.(I'm a accumulator, not a collector)
Today, while reading the "Hollow Forearm" thread, it kinda sparked my interest. So, I went into my cave, started pulling forearms---Nope no hollow. However, after pulling the end cap off of my F, seeing that the SS#, stamped on the inside of cap, did match the SS# stamped on the inside of the forearm---both numbers followed by a F and then pulling the end cap on the A??,
and seeing both SS#s, followed by a S, I drug out "Murray" and did some reading.
The firearm in question is a .30-30, 22 inch standard wieght barrel, altho, visually, compared to all my other 1899s' and 99s', with light barrels, this barrel resembles a semi-bull, shot gun butt plate. However, my firearm, SS#2292xx, which all 4 SS#s match, obviously, according to "Murray" was mfdered prior to the A. It does have the flat topped, Savage, rear sight, but it has the Rocky Mountain front sight. If not an A, what is it?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99A ?? - 01/18/15
At that serial number, I would say it's a 99C.
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: 99A ?? - 01/19/15
Do you have some pics?
A 99C would have a heavy barrel and heavy crown. Though different s.n. range according to Murray.
A 99A would be yet another s.n. range & 24" barrel.
I'm missing something. ??
Still sounds like a 99C....??
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 99A ?? - 01/19/15
Certainly sounds like a 99C but it's a very early serial if it is.
Posted By: Polecat Re: 99A ?? - 01/19/15
I sounds like a 1899 A Short Rifle or a 99 C. It falls right in the transition period for the 2 models. I have one in that same serial # range and I intend to get a letter to find out but I haven't got around to it yet. Here's a link that might help.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../7157004/Short_Rifle_or_99_C#Post7157004

Lee
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99A ?? - 01/19/15
From my data, 2292xx, 30-30, Take Down, lettered as an 1899-Short Rifle TD. Produced 6/14/1920.
Posted By: norm99 Re: 99A ?? - 01/20/15
Originally Posted by Rick99
From my data, 2292xx, 30-30, Take Down, lettered as an 1899-Short Rifle TD. Produced 9/9/1920.

YOU HAVE A LETTER from a gun that ended up in South West Alaska, that;s interesting .

norm

Posted By: Rick99 Re: 99A ?? - 01/20/15
Error...the 9/9/1920 is the ship date, 6/14/1920 is the production date.
Posted By: Twinkletoes Re: 99A ?? - 01/20/15
I'm not smart enuff to post pics! At my age, it would probably be a massive under takeing to try. The gun appears to be identical to the one that Polecat posted pics of, except his is a .303, as mine is .30-30. My barrel is stamped Corp., not Company. and also, the dove tail grove is further from the front of the barrel boss on the action (3.34 in.) were on my 2 Hs and F, are 3.14 in.
As a typical accumulator, I had never cared one way or the other, about specifics on my firearms, however, now that I've come to the age were I seem to have too much time on my hands, have become more interested. I will have this one lettered.
Posted By: norm99 Re: 99A ?? - 01/21/15
better PM Rick99 and check last two no.s of ser no sounds like he might already have the letter.

norm
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99A ?? - 01/21/15
Remember that it can't letter as a model 1899A, because there was no such thing until Doug Murray came out with his book and used the telegraph codes as model names on the early 1899's (brilliance, imo). The early ledgers would simply show a round, 22" barrel. A letter will give you great info like who it shipped to and when it was made and shipped, but the model for this serial number range will be worked out via Murrays serial number ranges.

So since Murrays says the 1899A SR continued until SN 238,000, I'm pretty sure the OP's rifle will come back lettering as an 1899 SR.
Posted By: Twinkletoes Re: 99A ?? - 01/21/15
Thank ya kindly for all the responses. It encouraged me to do a better job of reading my copy of "Murray". I did mail a letter and check for info on the firearm today. However with this durn storm--suppose to get 4--6 inches of rain by Thur. No planes flying. When I do get the letter, I will post results. My copy of Murray has SN to 220,000, however it also says the A was not discontinued until 1922, so it would be logical that the SNs' to go higher.
© 24hourcampfire