Home
Posted By: Strider Lever Codes etc. - 03/27/02
Curiosity...
<br>
<br>I'm doing a lot more Savage Shopping these days ...
<br>
<br>Supposing I wanted to avoid more shooter rats ...
<br>
<br>Let me think outloud so you can correct and/or confirm my observations. I didn't get the answers I wanted at the Savage site. Of course our datum no longer is available.
<br>
<br>The Letter/Number Code forward of the lever is an indicator of the year of manufacture, and it would seem barrel length... ? ie 24C
<br>
<br>But doesn't have any reflection on the Model?
<br>
<br>The serial number is only an indicator of the order in which they were manufactured, and is also not an indicator of the model (unless you would happen to get recorded documentation from Savage)
<br>
<br>So, is the only way to know which Model the perspective rifle is - is to see it in it's - original - unaltered - condition ? Oh, and with all the parts Matching in number ...
<br>
<br>tia
<br>
Posted By: Robert Re: Lever Codes etc. - 03/27/02
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>The Letter/Number Code forward of the lever is an indicator of the year of manufacture, and it would seem barrel length... ? ie 24C<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>No. The numbers are the inspector's stamp and for post-WWII rifles, the letter indicates year of manufacture.
Posted By: adkjaq Re: Lever Codes etc. - 03/27/02
you are thinking too much, f them codes they are irrelevent. condition is first 2nd and 3rd. how much you want to spend is next.
<br> I'll help you out here. pre 1 mil F's any caliber.
<br>Utica guns any caliber except 303 and 22 unless the price is super. Do utica guns even have lever codes?
<br>I stiill have a nice 30 td with tang sight.
Posted By: Moonpie Re: Lever Codes etc. - 03/27/02
Are you saying you have a .303 for sale?
Posted By: adkjaq Re: Lever Codes etc. - 03/27/02
yes, and a 30-30, the 30 30 is td real nice carbine with hard rubber butt 90%. The 303 is src, grey, tang sight 5 box of shells. Maybe I can shoot couple pic's Saturday.
Posted By: Johnnyv Re: Lever Codes etc. - 04/06/02
Hello Im new to the forum I have a .300 99 ser.# 404049 it has the Utica N.Y. stamp but other than that it has no codes or anything like that. It is in great cond. clean bore good wood shoots very accurate. Does anyone know the year it was made and what it would be worth, not that I would sell I surely would`nt I would just like to know.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Lever Codes etc. - 04/06/02
Go to savage99.com and start your education.
<br>
<br>You have a prewar gun that is of excellent quality.
<br>
<br>Worth $300-400 depending on condition, sights etc.
© 24hourcampfire