Home
I am sure this topic has been beat to death, but anyone have any pet loads for their 99 24" in 300 Savage. I plan to use a 150gr bullet, probably the Sierra Pro-Hunter SPT, or RN.

Not looking for anything other than a nice accurate round to kill whitetails with out to 100 yds. COL? Is it going to be restricted by the rotary mag?

I picked up a 1947 vintage 99EG, and want to kill a few deer with it.

[Linked Image]
Nice find! Ken Waters book "Pet Loads" has always been my "go to" place for starting reloads. Everybody has their own recipe, but I find his stuff works pretty well. Follow his notes for recommended use. Waters wrote for Handloader Magazine for years and the book can be obtained through Wolfe Publishing, or just about any outlet that carries outdoor literature.
Hard to not like 130gr Barnes TTSX in front of 43grs of H4895. Pushing 3K and deer don't like it.
I'll have to pick up a copy of that book.....
39 to 40grs of the same powder works nicely with 150's.
I gotta admit that if I were to take a stab at using jacketed bullets in the .300 I would have to try those 130 TTSX's.
[Linked Image]
I've Always liked 150gr 30 cal bullets for deer, I guess it's hard to break old habits.
Been killing them just fine with Nosler Partitions in 165gr and 180gr and IMR4895. Wouldn't be my first choice for open prairie or wide open mountains, but at 200 yards and less they don't go far.

1945 99EG:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by CallaoJoe
I've Always liked 150gr 30 cal bullets for deer, I guess it's hard to break old habits.

Weight means NOTHING, construction and placement EVERYTHING.

I'd take a Barnes 130gr over ANY of the bullets you mentioned.
I bought a bulk lot of 150 grain Core-Lokts years back and I'm still shootin' 'em. Several powders work well in the .300 for me: H4895, I4895, and Reloder 15. I settled on Re15 because I use it in the .250 as well. 42 grains of Re15 over the 150 Core-Lokt is what I shoot.

You will likely get lots of advice... (especiallly if RonT shows up)
RL15 and TAC should work equally as well. If I didn't start years ago with H4895 I'd have gone TAC/RL15 to simplify things.
At 300 Savage velocities and at 100 yards or less...

ANY bullet that's not a varmint bullet will kill any whitetail dead if the bullet goes where it should go.

Pick what your rifle will shoot well, and what you're confident with. Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Sierra, Barnes.... 125gr to 200gr.

It'll be dead if you do your job.
I still prefer having a bullet that will work when everything is wrong.

Southbound shot into a northbound hog with a 130gr TTSX.

[Linked Image]
1st load I tried with my "new" '51EG was 38gr IMR4895 and some old 150gr BTips that had been sitting on my bench for years. That load worked so well, I haven't tried anything else
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

Is that a .300 Savage? Seems to be missing the lever grin
Some favorites in the .300S.

150 grain Win Power Point with 38.5 grains IMR 3031, 2575 fps
150 grain Win Power Point with 43.0 grains Varget (1 grain over book max so it may be too hot for you. Start at 40.0 and work up with care and a good chrony). I get 2650 fps
180 grain Win Power Point with 43 grains of W760 extremely accurate, 2250 fps.
Thanks for all the input, I have a friend that works for Sierra, and always been happy with their bullets. Just looking for something that has a velocity in the 2500-2600 range. I have a bunch of RL-15, I may give that a try...

I don't plan to scope this rifle, just leave it as is, or at most at an aperture sight. Be hunting with it in tight cover, as my place is a jungle in most areas.
My all-time favorite woods deer hunting load for the 300 Savage is the Remington 170 grain RNCL 30-30 bullet ahead of 41 grains of H4895. This is a load that shot great groups and killed whitetails quickly when I used them in my Remington 722 and 760. If you're shooting a less rigid action, I'd drop back to 35 grains of powder and work up from there until you find the combination that works best in your rifle.

EDIT: 41 grains of H4895 is a compressed load if you seat the 170 grain RNCL to the cannelure. I only seat them to the base of the neck in Winchester/Olin brass. Federal or Remington brass may, or may not, have different case capacity than the W/O.
The Nosler 150 gr. accubond over 42.0 gr. of Varget works well in my Reminton 7600 300 sav. You might want to work up to that charge from below in your 99.
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

Is that a .300 Savage? Seems to be missing the lever grin

It isn't a 99, but it is a very nice 300 Savage. I really like the blueprint.
For those using Remington Core-lokts, how's your performance? I bought a bunch of 165 - gainers back in the 90's and had a lot of difficulty with accuracy at velocities exceeding the .300 Savage. Up to the .300, all was okay. Over it, say like in an .30-06, and not so good. I even tried 140 - grain Core-lokts in a 6.5-Swede and had a point of impact way higher than their factory loads. I weighed out a bag of 500 and found a lot of variability in individual bullet weights, which got me thinking that the bulk bullets might have been seconds, or what?
Nice looking EG, Joe.
Does anyone use Sierra Spitzer boattail 150 grain bullets in the 300 Savage and if so what kind of accuracy do you get?
I've shot them from my 700 Classic with very good results.
Well, I wasn't having much luck finding brass for the 300 Savage right now, so I just bought 2 boxes of Hornady 150gr Interbonds for it. I will shoot these, and reload when I get through with them, as long as they shoot well from the rifle.

Why buy empty brass, when you can buy loaded ones for about the price of the empty ones for now...

Here is a pic, of the inside of the rifle, It doesn't look to me like it's been shot a whole lot...

[Linked Image]
Interesting with a "B" stamped in there! I dont know if i have ever seen a letter stamped in there before. confused confused Don
The reason I asked about the boat-tail bullets in the 300 Savage had to do with information I read in Ken Water's "Pet Load". According to information in his article, he stated, it was not a good idea to use BT bullets in the 300 Savage because they extend too far into the case when seated and could lead to increased pressure.
I was wondering if anyone uses BTs when reloading for the 300 Savage and if they have noticed any signs of increase pressure?
Thanks for any information you can supply on this matter.
Don't believe everything you read.

You did see that I load 130gr Barnes TTSX's, right?
It's going to depend on the bullet and it's OAL. A boat tail is going to use more room in the case when you have to keep the COAL short enough to fit in the 99 magazine, but how (if any) much pressure increase that might lead to is dependent on the bullet, the powder, and how much powder you are using.

I've tried boattails, but never worked up to a max load and never saw any pressure signs. If you use them, see if the mfr has load data for that bullet for 300 Savage and follow it.
I don't know if boat tails cause excessive pressure, but they have always just looked all wrong for the .300 case to me. Face it, the .300 has a very short neck and, compared with other rounds, it doesn't have much meat to support a long bullet. I tend to think that cases with longer necks have an edge on accuracy. Will a BT work in a .300 Savage, hell yeah; it just wouldn't be my first choice. Try some BTs and then try Water's recipe for Spire Points and see what you get.
Hornady loads a 150 gr. sst boat tail in there sprerformance line!
Originally Posted by S99VG
I don't know if boat tails cause excessive pressure, but they have always just looked all wrong for the .300 case to me. Face it, the .300 has a very short neck and, compared with other rounds, it doesn't have much meat to support a long bullet. I tend to think that cases with longer necks have an edge on accuracy. Will a BT work in a .300 Savage, hell yeah; it just wouldn't be my first choice. Try some BTs and then try Water's recipe for Spire Points and see what you get.

There are lots of 300 Win. magnums out there very successfully shooting long bullets, short neck and all. Assuming proper sizing, the 300 Savage has plenty of neck to hold onto a bullet.

Accuracy wise, I have a Rem. 700 Classic in 300 Savage I could probably use to lighten your wallet. If I were a betting man that is. grin
Please read beyond the bolded red script to get to my point. I never said the .300 Savage didn't have enough "neck to hold onto a bullet." That's obviously an interpretation way outside of the scope of it's history, or for that matter the .300 Winchester Mag's too. What I did say is that BTs [/u]would not be my first choice when it came to selecting an optimum bullet shape for the .300 Savage[u]. That's all.
I've used boat tails in 300 savage loads quite a bit, Norma, hornady, Sierra, and Noslers. No problems that I've ever seen. They shoot fine and kill deer okay too. I use 4320 in my rifles but I'm sure 4895, 4064, 3031, Varget, and a host of others will work just as well.
Originally Posted by S99VG
Please read beyond the bolded red script to get to my point. I never said the .300 Savage didn't have enough "neck to hold onto a bullet." That's obviously an interpretation way outside of the scope of it's history, or for that matter the .300 Winchester Mag's too. What I did say is that BTs [/u]would not be my first choice when it came to selecting an optimum bullet shape for the .300 Savage[u]. That's all.

I got what you said. What I'm driving at is I believe you're putting undue emphasis on the neck length per se in coming to your conclusion about bullet choice.

There are certain circumstances, using bulky IMR4064 for example, where I too prefer a flat base bullet in the little 300.
mathman - Its all good. I guess I also fall into the bulky IMR powder crowd. We all have our own preferences. Good shooting!
I haven't tried it at '99 overall length, but IMR4895 is scary accurate under a 168 match bullet in my 700.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
It's going to depend on the bullet and it's OAL. A boat tail is going to use more room in the case when you have to keep the COAL short enough to fit in the 99 magazine, but how (if any) much pressure increase that might lead to is dependent on the bullet, the powder, and how much powder you are using.

I've tried boattails, but never worked up to a max load and never saw any pressure signs. If you use them, see if the mfr has load data for that bullet for 300 Savage and follow it.

Rory,
I am using my older (4th edition) Sierra Handloading Manual. It does give information on both the 150gr FMJHPBT and the 150gr Spitzer BT. Also, my 9th edition of Hornady manual gives info on the BT. I reloaded some of each yesterday using a variety of powders IMR4895, H4895, and H380. I kept the COAL at 2.600" and they cycle fine. I have not had a chance to shoot them yet.
After reading the article in "Pet Loads" I just became a little concerned about pressure. I tend to get that way when there is a possibility of bodily harm. Better to be safe than sorry.
I am sure this topic has been beat to death, but anyone have any pet loads for their 99 24" in 300 Savage. I plan to use a 150gr bullet, probably the Sierra Pro-Hunter SPT, or RN.

My go to load for years for White Tails and also accuracy has been the 150 grain Sierra Pro Hunter over 41 grains of Reloder 15. One inch groups at 100 meters and enough deer to fill a pick up truck twice over. Complete penetration on broadside shots and on a frontal chest shot, the pro hunter has enough energy to go through the entire deer and will wind up under the hide in one of the hind quarters.
Nosler also has 300 Sav load data online for their boat tails
http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/300-savage/
Thanks Keith
Has anyone tried the 150 SST bullets by hornady that is made for the .300? Luv to hear some feedback.
Tom, if you did not see it, here is a thread on it. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9674704/3

I just loaded 20 rounds with H4895 with the Hornady #30383 bullet; varied powder 37.0, 37.5, 38.0, 38.5, 39.0. I measured the length of the bullet (1.12"). When seated so the case mouth is at the bottom of the canular, the OAL measures 2.596". I'm waiting on a set of 1" extended rings to mount a scope on the 99EG I recently picked up and then I will fire and chrono these test rounds.

Here's a pic of a commercial Remington 150 (core-lokt) with the Hornady bullet next to it so you can see approximately where the base of the Hornady bullet ends up at.
[Linked Image]

Amazing (or maybe not) how the mere mention of .300 Savage load data will trigger a bazillion replies/comments/recommendations. Just goes to show how well liked the hoary round still is. I betcha if one of the "big" companies introduced this cartridge new today that riflemen would swarm to it as the best thing since sliced bread.* A lot of potential in a small package.

I find myself thinking (a dangerous thing, that) that the AR-10 platform would be a shoe-in for the Savage cartridge.

*Sliced bread was first marketed in 1928 and was an instant sensation. Previously packaged loaves were a do-it-yourself proposition. I hope the guy who invented it died rich.
I wondered who the genius was that came up with sliced bread and when it happened. Been on my mind alot lately. Same with loads for the 300.
Like Steelhead says, not much use for anything else with the 130 Barnes available. Discussion over.
I gotta say it. For the cost of some scrap lead and a couple hours of time/labor, I can cast bullets and load them in .300 brass and shoot all day for almost nothing beyond the cost of a pinch of powder and primers. Reading the debates over jacketed types to me is mainly interesting from an academic viewpoint. I load jacketed stuff for my BIL (who couldn't care less what jacketed bullets I use, so he gets Sierra 150's) and little else. I think, maybe, I have a box of same sitting on my shelf with about a quarter inch of dust on it.
Starting to load 150 Barnes TSX bullets with H4895 and W748. Wished I had some IMR4064 to experiment with but you all know about the shortages out there.
I'm a reloader, but I'm not sure I can improve upon the factory 150 grain Remington loads.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I'm a reloader, but I'm not sure I can improve upon the factory 150 grain Remington loads.

The improvement I realized is being able to shoot more for less! wink
Looks like most everybody has a pet load for this great gun/caliber. Here's mine with the usual safety caveats: R-P brass, Win Lg Primer, Sierra 150 gr Spitzer, seated 2.600" LOA, 38.0 gr of 3031 for a chrono'd velocity of 2572 fps, ext. spread of 15. In my 950 99 EG, it will do less than an inch at 100 yds for 3 shots from a cold bbl.

Reloader 15 does as well with 42.0 gr and a clocked velocity of 2626 fps for 5 shots. Both loads work equally well with Hornady's 150 gr Spire Pt and similar seating depth.

With the same bullet, 20.0 gr of SR4759 with a COL of 2.575" does about 1800 fps, and gives me 3/8" at 50 yds for 3 shots.

As always, this load is safe in my gun, but you should consult a good manual, and work up to it with due regard. Rod
Yeah, I got a pet load but I won't tell you folks what it is. I will tell you it's in the Speer #8 with IMR 4064 but you can't use it these days because the newer manuals say that it will blow your rifle up. wink grin
Yeah, some of the older manuals do show hot loads by today's standards. One load in Wolfe's powder profile publication is as hot as a .308. Viewer discretion is advised.
No kidding. They even used lead based paint for kid's rooms and didn't wear seatbelts back then.

What a bunch of wussys today
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Yeah, I got a pet load but I won't tell you folks what it is. I will tell you it's in the Speer #8 with IMR 4064 but you can't use it these days because the newer manuals say that it will blow your rifle up. wink grin

I believe Speer #8 was the one where a lot of data was prepared with bad tarage tables for the copper crusher slugs, resulting in listed charges that were higher than they should be.
Firebiscuit....did you ever crony them 160 ftx I left you? Thanks.
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by gregintenn

The improvement I realized is being able to shoot more for less! wink

Lightfoot, what do you have planned for reloading the .300 when Cali goes lead-free?
Not Lightfoot, but duh, 130 Barnes ttsx.
Originally Posted by Loggah
Interesting with a "B" stamped in there! I dont know if i have ever seen a letter stamped in there before. confused confused Don

I didn't even notice the "B" stamped in there myself, until I snapped that pic.....
I called Sierra Bullets today to inquire if they had any updated information on loading data for the 300 Savage. They e-mailed me information on their 110gr, 125gr, 150gr, 165gr, 168gr, 175gr, 180gr. Each one of these bullets had loading information for Varget powder. Has anyone loaded 300 Savage shells using Varget powder? If so, how did they perform?
Be prepared for a long message from Ron_T.

I'll give my response to Ron now: I think you could have added a bit more Varget and hit paydirt. grin
I've tested Varget, but not a lot. Seemed to work very well.
Latest loading for my 300 is Barnes 150 gr. TSX and 40 gr. of IMR4064.

Will try a hot loading of 44.5 H4895 and 130 gr. TSX for accuracy later this week in my Model 14 American Classic.
I believe Speer #8 was the one where a lot of data was prepared with bad tarage tables for the copper crusher slugs, resulting in listed charges that were higher than they should be.

Nope. If you have #7, as I do, you'll see that #8 is mostly a copy.
Will try a hot loading of 44.5 H4895 and 130 gr. TSX for accuracy later this week in my Model 14 American Classic.

Cheater! If you don't shoot it in a 99 it doesn't count. grin
Originally Posted by mathman
Be prepared for a long message from Ron_T.

I'll give my response to Ron now: I think you could have added a bit more Varget and hit paydirt. grin

Original post by Lightfoot:
You will likely get lots of advice... (especiallly if RonT shows up)

Gesshhhh, guys...

All I try to do is fully explain things... gee... gosh... shucky-DARN... grin grin

(Mutter... mutter... [CENSORED] )
Originally Posted by Chappy410
I called Sierra Bullets today to inquire if they had any updated information on loading data for the 300 Savage. They e-mailed me information on their 110gr, 125gr, 150gr, 165gr, 168gr, 175gr, 180gr. Each one of these bullets had loading information for Varget powder. Has anyone loaded 300 Savage shells using Varget powder? If so, how did they perform?
I do. 40.3 gr Varget using Sierra Pro Hunter 150 gr RN. Shoots well in my 99 out to 200 yards.
I loaded up some Sierra 125gr Spitzer with 41 gr of Varget and some Sierra 150gr SPBT with 40.3 gr of Varget this morning.
After I got the reloading done, I headed to the range. I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of both loads at 100 yards. The 125 gr group was tighter than the 150gr. Both had the same POI so no scope adjustment was required. The 125gr had a 1" group and the 150gr group was 1.25-1.375". Good enough for Mr. Whitetail or Mrs. Woodchuck.
I have had astounding accuracy from 41 gr Varget and 150 SpBt in both Speer and Sierra from a 1964 "F" model. Velocity was 2560 fps, and extremely consistent.

Be aware that some early 99's show over 2700 with this combo, and that is too hot. I probably wouldn't go over 2450-2500 with pre-war 99's, so reduce accordingly.Once you get to the ones which were also chambered in 308, you're on pretty safe ground.
I am shooting a 99E made in mid 70s. I have found that it likes 150gr Sierra SPBT or 150gr Sierra Spitzer with 40.3 grains of Varget. The most accurate load for this rifle is Sierra 125gr Spitzer with 41 grains of Varget. I don't have a chronograph but with these loads I have not seen any signs of excessive pressure.
Here is a link to some good info on bullet selection and reloading (below the history section).

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.300+Savage.html
Today I fired my 1950EG .300 Savage for the first time. I put Lightfoot's mount and an older Leupold 1.5-5 Vari-X III on it. I loaded Hornady's 150gr SST bullet (#30303 .300 Savage) with H4895. I only fired at 25 yds to zero it in and chrono 4 rounds at each of 37.0 grains to 39.0 grains in 0.5 grain increments. Here are the two best loads of the 5 increments. I'm really pleased with this rifle.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Lookin' good!! Hope it prints as well at 100 yards.
You definitely cannot stuff a 300 Savage with 40 gr. of IMR 4064 with a 150 gr. Barnes TSX seated down to an OAL of 2.600 as per the Nosler manual. frown

Reworked the load down to 38.5 gr. in order to seat the bullets below the maximum OAL. A whole lot of tapping going on to compress the powder to make the load fit.
You definitely cannot stuff a 300 Savage with 40 gr. of IMR 4064 with a 150 gr. Barnes TSX seated down to an OAL of 2.600 as per the Nosler manual. frown

What's the problem? Bullet too long? I regularly stuff more than that under several 150 gr bullets. More information is needed. confused
Yes, bullet length. Of course there's not much of a reason, if any, to use the 150gr Barnes, when 130's are available.
© 24hourcampfire