Home
Posted By: Phil99 New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
I picked up this pre war RS in .300 a few weeks ago. It's a later variation, with two point checkering, serial #407XXX. The flat bottomed sling studs were on it, but the receiver sight had been replaced with an open sight. I found the correct Redfield 70 LH sight and put a blank filler in the rear sight notch. Looks pretty spiffy now.

Rod

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
Doesn't get much better, regardless what might possibly be said. You should be very proud of that rifle.
Posted By: BradD Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
They really picked out a nice chunk of wood for that one! Looks like a nice rifle.
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
sweet rod! I sure wish I could run across more Savage levers around my neck of the woods... I honestly have never seen one in the few local shops around me, nor at local gun shows, outside of mine.

Southern Illinois area is pretty void of Savages.. From what I have gathered here, it seems like some Northern and Eastern states are much more populated with Savage levers than around the midwest here.

Nice one Rod!

dave
Posted By: Phil99 Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
I hate to tell you this Dave, but this one came from Illinois. cool

Rod
Posted By: Calhoun Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
That's beautiful! Sling come with it?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
Nice rifle Rod. Beautiful.
Posted By: Phil99 Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
Rory--No, that's actually a sling from my deluxe Winchester 71. The RS swivels and the Winchester Supergrade swivels seem very similar, if not identical.

Rod
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
My opinion the ultimate 99. Only way it could be better would be if it had the three point checkering. Would be nice to own a T model in 250 just to compare against my R's. What say ye to the owners that have both models. GW
Posted By: S99VG Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
I'm sure it looked pretty spiffy even before you added the sight and sling.
Posted By: 99guy Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
Beautiful gun.

Look at that wood and those case colors...

whistle

Posted By: diamondjim Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
Very cool.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: New Prewar RS - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by Phil99
Rory--No, that's actually a sling from my deluxe Winchester 71. The RS swivels and the Winchester Supergrade swivels seem very similar, if not identical.

Rod

Been there, and yes they are almost identical. Only difference I can see is on the finish, the 99RS slings have a nicer, smoother finish and the Winchester were rougher. Otherwise almost an exact match.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15
Very nice. If it was mine I'd probably sell it to a collector. Too nice for me to hunt it. frown grin
Posted By: Sbrown Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15
Nice!! Very nice! It doesn't get much better than that.
Proud for you.

Steve
Posted By: saddlering Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15
Rod you found youself a very nice 99!
Posted By: 1899sav Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15
I hate to tell you this Dave, but this one came from Illinois. cool

Rod

WOW ROD NICE GUN
Looks Fantastic.
ILLINOIS? HMMMM, Must of been the one in DAVE's BACK YARD! grin
Posted By: Phil99 Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15
Actually, this one was closer to your neck of the woods, Steve. It came from Marengo.

Rod
Posted By: steve99 Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15
Great looking RS Rod. Some beautiful wood on that one.
Posted By: 1899sav Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria
sweet rod! I sure wish I could run across more Savage levers around my neck of the woods... I honestly have never seen one in the few local shops around me, nor at local gun shows, outside of mine.

Southern Illinois area is pretty void of Savages.. From what I have gathered here, it seems like some Northern and Eastern states are much more populated with Savage levers than around the midwest here.

Nice one Rod!

dave

DAVE
JUST WAIT TILL I MOVE DOWN AROUND CARBONDALE. grin
Posted By: 21 Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15
Boy, what a nice tool !!!!!!!
Posted By: olgrouser Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15
cool smile cool
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15
Actually, this one was closer to your neck of the woods, Steve. It came from Marengo.

Rod

Danged ole 99 addicts,no honor, will slip right in your backyard and grab one when your not looking. wink GW grin
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: New Prewar RS - 05/23/15

DAVE
JUST WAIT TILL I MOVE DOWN AROUND CARBONDALE. grin [/quote]

Carbondale as in PA. My daughter went to Alvernia U. just outside Reading PA. She has a bunch of friends from Carbondale. When I told one of her friends I collected Savage 99's he said, " Why would you collect those things? They're like Chevy's, every body has one. Actually, he said they throw them under their tires for traction when it snows. Lots of 99's in PA, Joe.
© 24hourcampfire