Home
Today has been a lucky one ... this went up on a Texas fishing forum I follow ... and I'm in Minnesota. A very, very nice 99-375 headed my direction. Just need to find a set of scope mount hole plug screws. From what I've read there were not may of these made; does anyone have a an estimate of how many?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yours, mine, and maybe two others. grin

Great looking rifle! Good score.
Posted By: 21 Re: Got Lucky Today Found a 99-375 - 08/24/15
I've been told 1500 made in that configuration. I'd like to know how many were made in the 99A saddlegun model.
Uncommon AND purty! Now if it SHOOTS you got the trifecta!
...and now to find ammo. smile
Originally Posted by Rick99

Worst case I can fire form some 30-30 to use.

Curious, has anyone reloaded 375 WIn using Hornady's 225gr Interlock SP-RP? I am going to contact Hornady to ask if this bullet will open up ok on deer at the 1900-2250 fps velocity range ... I think it should.
At that diameter who cares if it opens up.
Posted By: 21 Re: Got Lucky Today Found a 99-375 - 08/24/15
Originally Posted by Fireball2
At that diameter who cares if it opens up.

Indeed.
[Linked Image]

Shooting a little low their Roy. Might want to adjust those sights a little...

wink
Originally Posted by 99guy
Shooting a little low their Roy. Might want to adjust those sights a little...

wink

Don't mess with a good thing; that's a 3-shot hole. smile
I never shoot less than 10. laugh laugh laugh
Seriously though Roy, you seem to be very knowledgeable on the 375s. Do you have any data on how many 375s Savage made and how many of those were As vs. 99-375s?
I don't gather stats on them. Not that there's a thing wrong with that.

I've seen two 99A's to 20 99-375's. I wonder how that compares to the rest of these guys??? Maybe we could get a consensus.

Just sold a 99% 99A a few weeks ago, probably the last one I'll see for a while!
I'll start this off I have a 99A 375. Serial # D676XXX. I believe it's the only one I've seen.
Mine posted here is a 99-375, D3662xx
I have two .375 99-A's. Have seen many of the 99-375 Brush for sale.

I have not heard of any stated quantities for either model version or calibers. Since these were made in the "A Series" serial range (whatever firearm came across the finish line got the next serial number) there is no way to even guess at the number produced.
I did a google advanced search using "Savage 99 375" images. Looking through them all I counted 7 99-375s and 6 99As. If that is representative, the counts may be closer.
Here's mine, #D5585XX:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

PLENTY AMMO AROUND. whistle
Originally Posted by 1899sav

PLENTY AMMO AROUND. whistle

I've only seen .375 Win ammo on Gun Broker selling at stratosphere prices plus shipping. I do reload and have obtained dies and bullets (Sierra Pro-Hunter 200gr and 220gr Vollmers). Today I got a lead on a few new cases to reload with ... hope that pans out. I'm in the hunt for a pound of AA1680, Reloader 7, or H4198 (in that order or preference).
If we can figger out how to get it there, I've got a little 1680 you could play with...
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If we can figger out how to get it there, I've got a little 1680 you could play with...

Roy, thank you for the offer, but I think the logistics for shipping powder are prohibative. Tonight I found a local store that has IMR4198 in stock ... that's pretty similar to H4198, so I'll see if I can find some load data for it.
You can use 38-55 cases if you can find them. Just a slight bit shorter but they'll work if you're not going for max loads.
I have a 99A in .375. Most accurate bullet is the Sierra 250-grain BTSP. Would it open up? Hell if I know, but if I ever see a grizzly on the Blue Ridge I'll find out.
Well, I got lucky again. Win 375 ammo and components are very hard to find. The fellow that I bought the 99-375 called me up. He found a box in his dad's estate that had 1 box of unfired 375 Win Big Bore 250gr, 2 boxes unfired Super-x 200gr powerpoint, 1.5 boxes of win 375 reloads made with 31gr IMR 4198 and Hornady 220gr fn, 1 box of hornady 220gr FN bullets, a box of unfired Winchester brass, a set of Lyman dies and a box of gas checks ... all to my door for a very reasonable price. I also found a lb of H4198 at Cabelas in Woodbury, MN when we visited our kids this weekend.
Good on you! Yous should have ran out and bought a lottery ticket!
© 24hourcampfire