Home
isnt' it an A or an E? # 3100XX. Advertised as 1928 mfg and a "Mint Safe Queen"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
definitely not a G.
I'd be saying an F since it's a takedown. Possibly a D if they were still around by then, but F is far more likely.
Should be an "F" 99D's had been dropped by then. The D would have a heavy rifle weight barrel, the F a medium weight barrel. But if they had a leftover D barrel in 1928... If it's a D it'll have the front sight dovetailed into the barrel. The F will have a raised integral ramp for the front sight.
My vote goes for the F.
Do you think that butt stock is the original?
NO
Can you post a picture of the whole rifle?
Thanks for all the replies. The gun was not only misadvertised but it had no eye appeal to me. Those are the only photos I took. If I took a photo of the front sight we would know more. I looked at the Savage Book and could maybe even a D. Thanks for an insite on the F designation.
Originally Posted by Rick99
Do you think that butt stock is the original?

Hi, for my own education, why don't you think it is original? Thanks
Originally Posted by S99VG
Can you post a picture of the whole rifle?

No, that's all I took in the store.
The butt stock looks like it might be for a later 99A. I couldn't tell if there was a stamping (screaming Indian or SVG) on the toe of the butt plate. The original plate would be stamped.
There was no stamping. Just ribbed. I gotta be more careful when I go in that store. Maybe it was a G receiver and barrel with different buttstock. In any event, totally misrepresented. Thanks.
If it was a G receiver and lever with a different buttstock, you'd notice. The back of the lever would be nowhere near the stock, it'd be curved downwards.

Doesn't mean they didn't replace the lever also.
The forearm looks original. Since it is not checkered I would say the rifle is a Model F with a replacement Late99A butt stock and plate.

Most people can't tell one model 1899/99 from another. If you look through GunBroker you will see many misidentified 1899/99's. It is up to you to know what you are looking at. Exercises in "what model is this" makes us all put on our thinking caps.
Exercises in "what model is this" makes us all put on our thinking caps.

Three points to the first guy to blurt out where the phrase "thinking caps" came from. (You have to be a seasoned Baby Boomer to get it!)
I'm going to guess it didn't come from the Democratic National Convention. How am I doing so far?
Tom Terrific cartoon?

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Exercises in "what model is this" makes us all put on our thinking caps.

Three points to the first guy to blurt out where the phrase "thinking caps" came from. (You have to be a seasoned Baby Boomer to get it!)
Romper Room
Ding ding ding ding! Joe got it. Remember Miss Nancy advising the home audience (we kids in our PJ's glued to the glass-fronted babysitter) to put on our Thinking Caps whenever she embarked on a new learning adventure?
Miss Nancy (1953 pre-school)...boy did that bring back a flash of early TV shows! The only thing left of those days is Betty White.

Hopalong Cassidy, Cisco Kid, Lone Ranger, Annie Oakley...watching TV in your PJ's wearing a pair of six-shooters and a cowboy hat!
Six shooters and a cowboy hat? I wish. All the neighborhood girls used to come over in their PJ's and fawn over me while watching TV. The guns would have turned them off, so I kept them back for when the rest of us budding Marlboro Men would get together later on for the daily roundup.
© 24hourcampfire