Home
Posted By: JeffG 1899A P/G, no checkering? - 10/06/15
What's the chance this wood is correct with no checkering?
The forearm doesn't have quite the right shape.

Plenty of dings and nicks appropriate for a gun that has been hunted and handled for a long time. I did not get the serial number for it yet.

[Linked Image]
Other than the 1899 250-3000 Rifle pg stocks, all of the other pre-WW1 1899s with pg stocks have had the distinctive curve, "wave", shape on the bottom of the pg. This is the same design as the early Marlin lever action rifles with pg stocks. I can't exactly tell from the picture, but the bottom of the pg appears to be straight, rather than the curve/wave shape.

I have around 80 1899s with pg stocks and all of them have the curve/wave on the bottom of the pg.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 1899A P/G, no checkering? - 10/06/15
That's what I was wondering. Can't tell if it is wavy or flat.

Can't see the tip of the forearm. D&T'd. The rifle is pre-90,000. Fancy walnut with no checkering was an option.
Posted By: JeffG Re: 1899A P/G, no checkering? - 10/06/15
Bottom of the grip does have the marlin wave, check.

The end of forearm has the delicate schnable, check.

The bottom of the forearm has hard corners, like the bottom of the receiver, for about 4", that's one of odd looking details to me.

I need to call them back and get the serial number and barrel address, it's 303
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 1899A P/G, no checkering? - 10/06/15
I'd guess it's original, just refinished.
If you enlarge it enough you can see the Marlin curve.

There is info on the tag. SN looks like 45.703
Posted By: S99VG Re: 1899A P/G, no checkering? - 10/06/15
The bottom lines of the forearm look very angular in cross section. You think that maybe someone got a little over zealous with sanding when they refinished the factory stock? The back of the pads look like they may have been "home brewed" too.

Given the added scope, I'd cast my vote for a stock refinish from way back. Possibly the late 50s or 60s. Hey, wait a minute. That makes me from way back too. Crap!
Posted By: JeffG Re: 1899A P/G, no checkering? - 10/06/15
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
If you enlarge it enough you can see the Marlin curve.

There is info on the tag. SN looks like 45.703

Holy Cow Mike, I want a computer like yours!
Old school desktop with 23" LED monitor... wink
© 24hourcampfire