Home
I have the opportunity to purchase an 1899 22 hi power, manufactured in 1913. No visible cracks in the stock. Mechanically it seems to function just fine. I will try to attach some pictures to help with the condition. Anyone mind giving me some help on overall condition and value? This would be my first Savage. Pictures to follow soon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Well the stock market has tanked. Tax returns are a coming. I would estimate 600 to 1200 dollars. I can't tell how many faults it has. Others will I am sure. To me it looks ok. John
Serial #1357xx
She does look rusty on my phone.
Posted By: RAS Re: Model 1899 .22 Hi Power value? - 02/17/16
On that gun, which isn't mint, bore condition will be huge. Not to determine value, but whether it is even worth buying at all. Take a good look at it.
Ras brings out a good point on checking the bore.

Kinda hard to tell from pics but I think that old girl might clean up pretty good, using some methods that'll not hurt your finish.

As far as old Savage lever guns go, in my opinion they are all worth buying...pending price of course wink.

Pending bore condition, I'd be sniffing around that one at the $400+ range pending really looking it over to see how'd it'd clean up, cycle/feed function, etc...

I am kinda partial to any of the .22x caliber savages centerfires..

Dave
Id guess around $400- $700, Unless its NOT a takedown! it looks like it would clean up, but as Ras said need a good bore. I realy like the 22HP, but not sure if its a good pick for ones 1st 99.
It is a take down and has a partial box of ammo that comes with it.

Overall it has some light rust freckling in places, but I agree I think it would clean up pretty good.

I think it has been sitting on a gun rack for a long time by the looks of it.

I will inspect the bore and get some pictures later today.
Ammo is a bit hard to come by. The bullet diameter is .228, not .224, like most 22 center fires. The easiest brass to form is 25-35 Winchester, it can be made in one step. We made up a batch for my HP using 30-30 brass. It takes four steps. Run it through a 30-30 die to true it up, then a 250-3000 die, then a 25-35 Winchester die, and finally the 22 HP die. We found at first we were ripping the necks off the brass, so we removed the expander plug from the decapper on the first 3 dies leaving the 22 HP die to form the neck. We didn't loose any cases after that. We took about 2 hours to make 50-60 cases. We have about 300 once fired 30-30 cases. One day we will form up the rest and that will be enough to last for years, Joe.
Not being able to get ammo can be a buying point for you. Tell him you are going to have to buy four sets of dies and scrounge the country side for bullets, or buy lead casting equipment to cast your own, Joe.
I think Saddlering summed it up succinctly.
For all the reasons listed, I'm not a fan of the 22HP. I understand everyone else is. If it was a .219 Zipper, better.
Large carnivorous felines don't like 22 HP.
Bore looks pretty good. Not shiny. Rifling is there and seems good. No noticeable erosion. Looks like it just needs a good scrubbing.

Action: can load but seems gunked up. Rotates but doesn't quite want to feed the round right.

Price is $300. What do you think?

Jump on it for that price. Tom
Looks like a 100 year old rifle that has been used and has some rust. But, sights are all correct, I don't see any cracks in the photos and the butt plate is in good condition and original.

If you clean it up do it correctly. Don't do more damage than good. Go lightly.

Bore might just need the copper removed.
For $300 you better buy it! I've had hookers that cost more than that! (Well, I could've anyway.) If you don't, give me a shout!
$300? Holy cow... don't buy that.

Just PM me the contact information for the buyer. grin
Originally Posted by TomA
Jump on it for that price. Tom

ditto!

dave
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
For $300 you better buy it! I've had hookers that cost more than that! (Well, I could've anyway.) If you don't, give me a shout!

Did you just proposition him?! It's so hard to tell on the innernet. grin
I would never cheat on you, Roy!
Well, I got it for $330 out the door...

I think it is in better shape than some of the pictures make it out to be. I'll take some more picture and post them tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys.
You did great on that buy. Hope it's not your first Savage 99. Tom
For $300 you won't go wrong.
Hope it's not your first Savage 99. Tom

Pretty safe bet it won't be the last!!
You did great on that buy. Hope it's not your first Savage 99. Tom

Yup, 1st 99. Always liked them but never bought one before.

I'll be looking for guidance on how to clean it up without harming it. I'll do a search first though.

000 copper or stainless wool lightly wet with oil has always worked well for me on light rust as pictured on your gun. Cooper bore cleaner on the inside barrel. Murphys oil for wood to clean the stock. Let dry and follow up with Tru oil stock wax. GW
Not that it really matters, but while the rear sight looks correct, the front sight blade appears to be longer than the base and also should be level with the bore not sloped I believe or I'm I in error?
+1 with oldtimer303.. The copper wool is the first thing to try with some gun oil. It works as good as the 0000 steel wool but much safer.
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Hope it's not your first Savage 99. Tom

Pretty safe bet it won't be the last!!

Ain't that the truth!

Steve
Originally Posted by jklund38
Well, I got it for $330 out the door...

I think it is in better shape than some of the pictures make it out to be. I'll take some more picture and post them tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm J... wink you got a good buy! Good for you.

Dave
Originally Posted by Calhoun
+1 with oldtimer303.. The copper wool is the first thing to try with some gun oil. It works as good as the 0000 steel wool but much safer.

Hard to beat the Big45 cleaning pad with some light oil... I've cleaned up many old firearms with it and it never scratches into the bluing.

dave
If you can give me better photo of the front sight I'll help you out.
© 24hourcampfire