Home
Hi Folks,

Did Savage install on a custom basis a screw-on ramp sight during this time period?

A friend brought by a sweetheart of G last night. It is unmolested, no extra holes, worn blue but obviously well loved and cared for. 20" barrel in .30-30. It is wearing a Marble's tang peep sight, and a Savage marked rear open sight.

The front sight is a Lyman ivory bead insert in a ramped front base. The base has two screws holding it on. It is not an integral typical 99 front base. The sides of the base have a groove on each side for a hood that is not present. The base is cross-serrated on the sloped portion. The ramp is straight, no curve. Both screws are on the flat portion. It looks a lot like the one shown below in a photo from the web I found labeled "Marlin".

The base fits the barrel like a glove, and has the same wear as the barrel in that area. If it was changed out, it was changed out back in the day it appears.

I saw in the old 99 book that Savage offered various sights as an option. Do y'all think it could be factory? It's a great gun in any event. Many thanks, Marc

[Linked Image]
No, and that one is grooved for a sight hood as well.

The screw on ramps Savage used in late manufacture had one screw hidden under the sight.
By 1928 the 99G in 30-30 had a 22" medium weight barrel with the integral ramp front sight. Sounds like the barrel was shortened by 2" and a new sight installed. The 30-30 had a lightweight 20" barrel before about 1926/27 but it had an integral sight base that sort of pinched a flat blade sight. If it was an earlier barrel the original sight base would have to have been ground off for that sight. Very unlikely. David
It looks exactly like the sight on my Marlin 444. It's NOT a Savage sight. Be done with it.
© 24hourcampfire