Home
Posted By: Longbeardking I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
I picked up an EG in .243 Win, and 2 1899 B's. One in 25-25 and the other a special order in 30-30.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Poconojack Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Beautiful guns....
Posted By: Sbrown Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Dang, those are nice!!! EG's in 243 are a hard find. You did real good!

Steve
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Dang, those are nice!!! EG's in 243 are a hard find. You did real good!

Steve

Thanks. As you can see on the .243. No rear sight and is has sling studs. Neither bothers me much considering the rarity.
Posted By: RAS Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Had to get all 3. None of them should be left behind. Looking at them now, I wouldn't know which one to take.

They are all top notch. Just couldn't get totally lucky with the swivels on the 243.

Still, you had an excellent draft day.

I let two go. A 32-40 and a 38-55. My wife was trying to get me to buy all of them but in the end, I only got the 3. I really wasn't looking for any more B's, but I was actually enthralled too much to say no. There's a good chance the other two will find their way to NH in the future. The fellow that sold them to me knows 100% what a tough time I had deciding which path to follow. He is one helluva a nice guy. There is no doubt in his mind that I'm happy.
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Really, really nice! Great additions.
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
WOW!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Beautiful guns, Stephen! Congrats!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
I can be adopted...... whistle grin
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
They are all cool but I really like that B in the middle!
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Me too, and that is the one that made it difficult for me to pull the trigger. I REALLY wanted the .243 once I saw it. There were 4 B's in different calibers. I wasn't expecting to see the special order and that threw me for a loop. I wanted the 38-55 and 32-40 and the 25-35. Momma was there trying to get me to buy them all at once. I wasn't sure how much more my ticker could take. I decided that condition must be the key deciding point. I haven't completely ruled out the other two.
Very nice!
Posted By: josh117 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
My wife was trying to get me to buy all of them...

...words I likely will never type.
The shows I go to very rarely have one 99 of such interest, let alone 5. Nice work!
My eyes gravitate directly to the 1899B's.
As if a Savage 1899 rifle were not elegant enough, it has a pistol grip/fluted comb adder.
Truly fabulous rifles!
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
I miss read the part where you said you let two go. I thought you meant you sold two to get three. Duh, then I realized you left two behind, to get later. Nice ones too, got some condition there, Way to go, Joe.
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I miss read the part where you said you let two go. I thought you meant you sold two to get three. Duh, then I realized you left two behind, to get later. Nice ones too, got some condition there, Way to go, Joe.

Those that are easily confused to begin with confuse others with ease. I apologize for that. Yes, I had 5 to choose from and only chose 3 of the 5. That's not to say I won't cave on the others if they don't get sold first. Thanks, Joe.
Posted By: JeffG Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16

We will flog the first person to disagree with that Stephen! Really nice!

"...my wife wanted me to get all of them", isn't something you'll ever hear me say..you lucky dog!
Originally Posted by JeffG

We will flog the first person to disagree with that Stephen! Really nice!

"...my wife wanted me to get all of them", isn't something you'll ever hear me say..you lucky dog!

Thanks Jeff. Her way of thinking is that we had horses for 40 years and now it's my turn. I am lots closer to the end than I am the beginning, but I promise you this. I ENJOY my Savages.............
Posted By: steve99 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Steve

I think I remember a post you made a "couple" of years ago about you not being a collector.

I think these changed your status. What a great day for you. Enjoy.
Posted By: Loggah Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Saddlering and i will have to convince you to get the other 2 !!!!! grin grin . I thought we taught you better a few years back !!!! grin
Originally Posted by Loggah
Saddlering and i will have to convince you to get the other 2 !!!!! grin grin . I thought we taught you better a few years back !!!! grin

5 guns. 3 went home. 2 are not "passed". They're are just laying in wait. If my WIFE couldn't convince me to spring, I don't think either of you two will. grin grin grin
Posted By: RAS Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
I have to agree. That pistol grip looks really good on that gun. I have a special order 1899a with one. It holds up just as good as it looks.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Nice 243.Looked at a 358EG today.Sling stud's,kinda silver in the belly,nice barrel blue.Guy's asking $1200.
Posted By: saddlering Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
I rember a time when Don and I had to talk LBK into buying a "T" & and a Salesmen Sample! he thanked us for it! grin
Posted By: Polecat Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Wow, great rifles. I'm glad they found a good home!

Lee
Posted By: Loggah Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
And a 1895 saddlering carbine ! whistle
Originally Posted by Loggah
And a 1895 saddlering carbine ! whistle

I don't recall either of you pointing me in the direction of the 1895. I saw that at a gunshow, then at an auction when I thought it sold. It was after the auction that I learned that it had had a reserve. I had a little persuasion from Maine. OK so sometimes I need to be coaxed a little. I am close to needing another safe. grin grin grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
If my wife ever encourages me to get a 99 I won't pass on it. Those are beauties. Congratulations.
Posted By: johno Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Really nice rifles mate, like the others said on your bike and get the other two.

Johno
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Stephen, you had a fine day. Those are some truly beautiful rifles. Congratulations my friend.
Posted By: Dale K Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Very Nice, congratulations (on both the rifles and the wife) grin

Dale
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
I don't own a 32-40 or a 38-55 but I could if you PM me their location should you decide against them. wink grin GW

PS> I really deserve that B model. Would love to find a B with that early pistol grip. Nice guns! GW
Posted By: Skidrow Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/09/16
Very nice Steve. I'm glad they found you. grin
Posted By: norm99 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/10/16

Me too, and that is the one that made it difficult for me to pull the trigger. I REALLY wanted the .243 once I saw it. There were 4 B's in different calibers. I wasn't expecting to see the special order and that threw me for a loop. I wanted the 38-55 and 32-40 and the 25-35. Momma was there trying to get me to buy them all at once. I wasn't sure how much more my ticker could take. I decided that condition must be the key deciding point. I haven't completely ruled out the other two.

You suck Spending the grandkids inheirtance like that,,I think your new handle should be THE GUN MAGNET grin cool congrats Steve show us the other 2 when they get home.

norm
I can show them to you right now. On the table it's the first one and the third one. Just too much gray for me. I need time to really think anout it. 32-40 and 38-55.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/10/16
Buy them both. 38-55 especially.
Posted By: norm99 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/10/16
I can show them to you right now. On the table it's the first one and the third one. Just too much gray for me. I need time to really think anout it. 32-40 and 38-55.

[Linked Image]

thanks Steve little grey but original , [sickenvy here] have a nice 30-30 B, 38-55 B but its been retubed and on a newer reciever,
303 B ,,,those 2 would be welcome additions up this way , Bs early and late are hard to come by up here,and virtully impossible in 32-40 38-55.

norm

norm
Posted By: Rick99 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/10/16
If the 30-30 and 25-35 hadn't been on the table would you have bought the other two? Those don't look too bad from the photo. And, in 32-40 and 38-55.
Posted By: Owl Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/10/16
Can you say Sweet ? Very Very nice ! Congrats.
Originally Posted by Rick99
If the 30-30 and 25-35 hadn't been on the table would you have bought the other two? Those don't look too bad from the photo. And, in 32-40 and 38-55.

I passed on the 32-40 and the 38-55 once before, when the 30-30 and the 25-35 weren't there. This was the second time I saw them. When you go to a gun shop or a gun show you should be looking for something that will give you the biggest bang for your buck. I have learned that you shouldn't buy a gun that you have to defend.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/10/16
Indeed... but a 32/40 and .38-55? Those buggers one snags when and where they are. Period. grin
Nope. I don't buy anything JUST BECAUSE........... I have a 38-55 that makes me very happy. To be honest I really didn't want another 1899B. What I want is an 1899C and I am working on that. The 2 B's with condition were the same price as the other two.........So I grabbed the condition. When I find a C IF the other 2 are still there, then I "might" grab them, but then again??????????????????? If my wife couldn't get me to go all the way one of youz guys sure as hell won't convince me. grin grin grin It's pretty easy to spend someone else's money . wink wink wink
Posted By: BradD Re: I brought 3 more home. - 05/10/16
Those look like really nice rifles you found. I hope you enjoy shooting and handloading for the 25-35 if/when you get around to it. Very enjoyable cartridge in the 1899.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Indeed... but a 32/40 and .38-55? Those buggers one snags when and where they are. Period. grin

To say NOTHING of an EG in .243 Win. I have seen plenty of 32-40's and 38-55's. This is ONLY the 2nd EG in .243 that I have EVER seen, and frankly, the MAIN reason for the meeting between the seller and myself. The 2 1899's were icing on the cake.
I know this thread is over 6 years old, but out of boredom I was reading lots of the old threads and reminiscing. I still have the guns AND the wife and I am thankful for all. Things have certainly slowed down. Sooner or later something will show up that trips my trigger. Until then I will enjoy what I have been lucky enough to acquire. These are my 5 B's. .303, 25-35, 30-30, 32-40, and last but not least, 38-55

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: olgrouser Re: I brought 3 more home. - 07/01/22
Kool cool the 30-30 with the special order stock is my favourite.

Pleased for you and that you have the years and the health to enjoy the fruit of your labours.

Regards to Nan.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: I brought 3 more home. - 07/01/22
Sweet!
Posted By: 99guy Re: I brought 3 more home. - 07/01/22
Some good looking rifles there.

Maybe time to start a Model 8/81 collection? grin
Originally Posted by 99guy
Some good looking rifles there.

Maybe time to start a Model 8/81 collection? grin

You have no idea how I would like to find either in nice original condition. When I was a young hunter, I was in awe of that style. I loved hearing the family treasure that you have,
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 07/01/22
You have 1899B's in all the calibers available for that model. I would call that a collection.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: I brought 3 more home. - 07/01/22
Very Nice Stephen
I haven't a clue why I brought this back around again. Like I said, just bored. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: I brought 3 more home. - 07/01/22
Fine rifles like these are always a welcome treat to see. You've done good, LBK.
you need an old car to work on when you're bored. It's not for sale. I spirited out of Vermont last Winter.

[Linked Image]
Working on an old car is not my idea of fun. No more than working on an OLD gun is. I have seen scads of old everything that has been "worked" on. I am one of those guys that like "untouched" more than anything re-furbished. It is just me. BTW, BOTH my wife AND I would like to find a vintage car someday.
If you have an old car they require some tinkering. I've been tinkering with the 29 convertible lately. Changed the oil, rebuilt the carburetor. I'm now going to put some equalizers in the front brakes to make it stop better and check the timing. It's not running as good as it should and I suspect the timing is off.
I wouldn't tackle another major project at this time in my life.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
If you have an old car they require some tinkering. I've been tinkering with the 29 convertible lately. Changed the oil, rebuilt the carburetor. I'm now going to put some equalizers in the front brakes to make it stop better and check the timing. It's not running as good as it should and I suspect the timing is off.

EXACTLY my train of thought. Thanks for your perspective. I put my feet on the floor and thank God for another day.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 07/02/22
I know what you are saying. Some days I don't get anything accomplished.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: I brought 3 more home. - 07/02/22

Equalizers can help, but primarily it's down to adjusting the brake rods so the brake drums have just a hint of dragging against the brake shoes. Mechanical brakes are wonderful, aren't they?😁 Henry Ford thought so, when the rest of the world didn't. Of course within the limits of a Model A's speed they weren't bad.

A high percentage of gun nuts I've known were/are car guys too. Tinkering with stuff like old guns and old cars is a philosophical way to become one with them, to truly own and master them.

Old guns without old cars to haul them around in would make for a lessened world, IMO.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: I brought 3 more home. - 07/02/22
Did you know there are 8,764 nut's, bolts and parts on a 68 Plymouth Formula S convertible? At least if I counted right when I took it apart there are. Getting the factory big block out of the engine compartment is kind of like getting that little spring in a 99 bolt back in. Once you know how, not so bad.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: I brought 3 more home. - 07/03/22
Thanks Gonahhh, I'll check the rods when I put the equalizers in today. The equalizers made a tremendous improvement on the 28 roadster I had in the 90's. Maybe I adjusted the rods then too. Don't remember doing that.
© 24hourcampfire