Home
I recently acquired my first Savage 99 it is chambered in 300 Savage, SN: 3889XX. It appears to have an aftermarket Pachmayer buttpad and some general wear from use not neglect however the bore is excellent.

I must admit i am unsure what Model 99 letter designator it is as the original owner wasnt sure himself. If anyone could offer any information on helping me ID it further i would be greatly appreciative.

Additionally i read some information about a letter code used in dating, sometimes stamped on the "lever boss" however the letter (i see) looks to me my like the very letters they say were skipped i.e. Q or O. (see picture below)

I am a huge fan of Savage and have several of their other models of vintage years but i feel i might be bitten by the 99 collecting bug like so many others.

Thank you again

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://www.runcss.com/MAI/IMG_4974.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.runcss.com/MAI/IMG_4975.JPG[/img]
Its an EG if first three number of serial are 388 is mfg around 1940
If i may be so bold what characteristics do you used to tell that it is an EG? Is it purely by SN? thank you
The checkering pattern, the schnabel, the solid frame. Might even have EG stamped on reciever where foreend meets. Nice piece, you're off to a good start.
I appreciate that thank you. Should I look for an original buttpad/plate to return its more traditional look? Wasnt sure which one was of that period.

Thanks again
The original steel butt plate has quite a curve to it. When the recoil pad goes on they cut or sand the stock flat so the curve is gone. Hard to restore once that's done. Installing a simple flat black plastic plate is easier and gets rid of that hideous pad.

Original style plates are available if you want to go that way.
Real clean 99EG. Too bad about the recoil pad. If you are good at wood working it might be worthwhile to get the proper buttplate and fit it to the rifle. David
Is someone able to explain the "lever boss" stamping for me? I read that the letters Q & O were purposely omitted from the stamping but to me that is what the letter looks like so it has me a little confused.

thank you
http://www.runcss.com/MAI/lever_boss.jpg
Your rifle is an early 1940 rifle. the letter you are looking at is just an inspectors stamp...pre-LBC. LBC started in 1949.
Thank you, I'm learning smile
That is the most common configuration and the most common chambering. There's a reason for this.....the 300 EG is about the best deer rifle ever produced, and so Savage sold a bunch of em.
I still own the earliest known checkered EG in 300.

My worldwide fame will continue.
I ended up running across another Savage 99 opportunity i believe it is a model E? The "economy" model without the round counter if that sounds correct?

But i am also curious about the approximate year of mfg as the serialization breakdowns i have found dont allow for a serial number beginning with a letter. This one in particular is C0185XX.

Also wondered what the value would be in 90% condition?

Thank you
I bought a nice E in 308 for $350, but not 90% nice, Joe.
C0185XX, produced last half of 1975.
© 24hourcampfire