Home
Me: Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag with 9.5 inch barrel with Ultra dot. Backup is Savage 99C in 284 with a 3-9 Leupold.

Wife: Savage 99E in 243 with 3-9 Leupold. She is 4 for 4 with this rifle.

Hope everyone has a safe season.

RAS

#1-99 x 270 Redding
#2-1899F x 303
#3-Savage MLII
#4-crossbow, new this season from a fellow Savager
99F in 243
99F in 300
99EG in 358
Crossbow

The bottom 3 have each taken does this year.
99G in 303
99F in 300
99E (pre-war II) already got an antelope with this one.
David
99T .300
1899H .303
1899H .22HP
Winchester M54 .30-30

As usual, all I can do is narrow the choices down. When you see me in the woods on the Saturday after Thanksgiving you will see what I finally decided on.
Model 71 Winny in 33 cal.and it is Factory made 33
Trying for the Savage Slam.

1. 99 R 250
2. 1899 B 303
3. 1899 H 22HP
4. 99 Speigel 300
My Trusted 99 in 7mm-08
6 under it's Belt.
late EG in 250
SAV 22 pump for grouse
F or C in 308 for elk draw

norm
Current thought is my close-in deer rifle would be an 1873 Winchester in 38-40, a .348 Winchester model 71 deluxe rifle, a 1926 99G in .300 Savage, and a Stainless/walnut 6.5x55 Ruger No. 1. But, plans change.
Ruger (1st Series) Super Blackhawk Hunter - .44mag w/2-7x Bausch&Lomb scope.

dave
Dave,

Super cool choice. You have good taste and superb judgement.

Good luck.

RAS
Originally Posted by FUG1899

Wow. I think you are going to get the prize on the rarest, and probably most valuable on the board. Where did you find something like that?

Very cool.
This year for Michigan deer season it'll be:

1) 1950s 99F in .250 with a Leupold VX III 1.5 to 5X scope
2) 1930s 99R in .303 with a Norman Ford Texan 3X scope in Stith Mounts

Rod
Originally Posted by RAS

Wow. I think you are going to get the prize on the rarest, and probably most valuable on the board. Where did you find something like that?

Very cool.

Indeed! Pictures???
I got a doe on Tuesday with my new Ruger Scout in 308 so it's going back in the rack.

Next up is my 99 H Carbine (1928) , I just got it last week. It is in 303 Savage.

Mike
A Sako 85 ... why ?

BWhahahah
I hunt 99% of the time in a shotgun only zone. I only get to use my 99's if I go to my friends camp so I have to suffer with my CSMC Professional SXS 20 gauge slug gun.

Life is tough.

[Linked Image]
Gonna go sight in tomorrow morning.. and I haven't decided. Wanna use a 250. Maybe the B engraved refinished rat, or the 1941 EG with Lyman Alaskan and Stith. Hmmmm.... Or the 99T? Or the prewar R with Weaver T7 and Weaver 330?

Or maybe just the lucky gray rat EG in 300 Savage.

I'll surprise myself.
Originally Posted by ROMAC
I hunt 99% of the time in a shotgun only zone. I only get to use my 99's if I go to my friends camp so I have to suffer with my CSMC Professional SXS 20 gauge slug gun.

Life is tough.

[Linked Image]

Now that is cool!!!! Suffer, my a$$..... cool grin
Originally Posted by ROMAC

Life is tough.

[Linked Image]

I want Your problems!!

Winner! I think your brass will be worth more than my rifles!
Originally Posted by RAS
Dave,

Super cool choice. You have good taste and superb judgement.

Good luck.

RAS

Thanks. I also have the same rig you listed (Super Redhawk in .44mag) But mine wears a 2x Leupold.

I've taken several deer with both.

I got the Super Blackhawk Hunter handed down to me from my Dad. It's a real special one for me to be able to own and use.

dave
I hunt in Southern Michigan in what used to be called the
"Shotgun Only Zone." A few years ago the law was changed and allows deer hunting with straight wall cartridges 35 caliber and larger with maximum case length of 1.8".
This year I will be hunting with a Bushmaster 450 Bushmaster
AR style rifle for the first time. This rifle is one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot.
Last year I took a doe with a Smith&Wesson XVR Revolver in 460S&W magnum.
RAS

I knew of these and went to an auction when I saw this gun in the add the auction said it was a made up gun so only a few people looked at it my friend Ron R. had the most 71's that I
knew off he told me what to look at on the gun and it was real now i need the 45-70 to go with it I know of one but can't by it
Current planned battery is the 358 Brush Gun and a tang safety Ruger in 270 Win.

Crappy weather choice will be a synthetic stocked Rem 700 in 30-06.

Gophergunner is coming to the area this year, I'll have to watch extra close that my 99 doesn't go him with him!

Dale
Probably a 99H in 30-30.
Stever, there are some nice bucks in Iron County this year. I have 11 pointer on camera and friend shot (bow) tall 11 pointer 2 days ago 10 miles from here! Should be fun season.
I am hunting with my father's 1952 Rem 740 jamatic, and my 1899B 25-35. My son would like my father's rifle, but he wants me to kill a deer with it first. The only thing it's ever killed legally was my wife's bull moose.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I am hunting with my father's 1952 Rem 740 jamatic, and my 1899B 25-35. My son would like my father's rifle, but he wants me to kill a deer with it first. The only thing it's ever killed legally was my wife's bull moose.

[Linked Image]

grin i'll take the bottom one in 25-35 cool

norm
This year, for the first time in about 25 years, I will hunt deer in NY State. My home state doesn't allow rifle deer hunting - unless you consider using a Savage bolt action shotgun a rifle....it actually is, but I digress.

I will hunt NY State this year with my Savage 99 E, bought from someone at the 'fire as a barreled action and restocked by me. It wears a 4x Leupold which I purchased from another member, and it will be shooting my handloads featuring a 180 grain Hornady round nose bullet. Caliber is 300 Savage. I will also take along my Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08.
Thanks, Norm. Too bad you're on the other side of the border. I fell into this one. I have shot only one other and looked at many. All have had poor bores.This one is great and shoots like a house on fire. On January 20th I will be picking up a 32-40 and a 38-55. Guns have a little less condition but bores on BOTH are mirror. Those two will round out my 1899B's 25-35, .303, 30-30, 32-40 and 38-55.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I am hunting with my father's 1952 Rem 740 jamatic,

LBK you only need one shot..

plab
I'll be using my 1899H in 30-30 with stith mounted old weaver
and my 284DL with 3-9 lo-pro redfield on the corn field

good luck to all !

plab
Originally Posted by Plab
I'll be using my 1899H in 30-30 with stith mounted old weaver
and my 284DL with 3-9 lo-pro redfield on the corn field

good luck to all !

plab

And to you as well. Trust me, the ONLY reason I am using the 740 is to make my son happy. I never saw my father kill ANYTHING legally.
How about illegally?😱
EVERYTHING. Laws meant nothing to him.
Maybe a 358 or 350RM or Marlin 356 or 375S,but opening few day's a 250-3000 Saddlegun will get the nod. [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][img]http: [img:center][URL=http://.../sqweeler/102_1360_zpsnap1o7c6.jpg[/img][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
How about illegally?😱

?? we don't talk about that stuff

Plab
99f 358 win. LBK, my dad had hunted with a 740 in 308 since 1958. Killed a few bucks with it myself. His advice is use 180 psp' s and don't look back. No round nose bullets. Keep it clean and you will be fine. Does my heart good when I hear his rifle report on a frosty morn in November.
Dad's was bought for him as a gift from the family in 1952. He got his arm caught in a paper machine and lost the majority of use in his left arm. The gun has never jammed. He always used 220 grain Rem core-lokt round nose bullets. I just want to get it over with and give it to my son. Not many good memories associated with it. One good one was my wife killing her first moose with it. Only legal thing the gun has ever been involved with.
Plan on useing a 375 win. cal in a 99! then my 22Hp ! from The biggest to the smallest!
I will be using a 1916 vintage 1899H chambered in .22 Savage Hi-Power Ackley Improved using 65gr. Sierra GameKing's for my first tag and then a 1918/19 vintage .250-3000 Rifle using Speer 87gr. Hot-Cor's for my second one. At least that's the plan.
I think yours is the 1st Ackley inproved 22Hp That iv heard of, did you have the rifle improved or did you buy it that way? Did Ackley do the work?
I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that one. Is it an AI for sure? Not doubting your veracity, but a bunch of wildcats were done in the 30's involving "improving" the .22HP to one extent or another. We moderns tend to call everything with a blown out shoulder an "Acley Improved", when he was by far not the only guy doing that.
I've narrowed my field down. Definitely going to unlimber the "new" .22HP I built on opening day, if I can find time to get it zero'ed between now and T'Giving. If that opportunity falls through, it'll be the Winchester 54 .30-30 because the zero on that hasn't shifted in a couple years now. The AR with Vortex scope is dead on, but I really really don't want to use that...
Savage American classic in 308 with my dads old redfield 2 3/4 scope.
I hope to take a whitetail with one of the following. A 99G in .300 or 99A in .250.
[Linked Image]
I was given a 99EG (I think EG) in 300. I took it out doe hunting last month. I plan to take it out again.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Gonna go sight in tomorrow morning.. and I haven't decided. Wanna use a 250. Maybe the B engraved refinished rat, or the 1941 EG with Lyman Alaskan and Stith. Hmmmm.... Or the 99T? Or the prewar R with Weaver T7 and Weaver 330?

Or maybe just the lucky gray rat EG in 300 Savage.

I'll surprise myself.

Figured it out.

My dad's Marlin 336 in 30-30 to start with. Pulled it out of the safe and it just called to me.

I'll be taking my father-in-law's reblued, engraved rifle as secondary.
Will give my 1899 303 #007 another chance this year. Its target if it presents itself is one deserving of having the 1899 displayed in its rack. Seems he likes the field cam but avoids being seen by eye.

Might go for one in each Savage caliber as I need to thin out the does. GW
The barrel is marked ".22-30/30 A.I." and the dies, which are Redding, are marked ".22-30/30 A.I. 40 deg.". The rechambering was done in 2003 by Fred Zegler at Z-Hat Customs in Casper, Wyoming and a fine job he did. It easily pushes 65-70gr. bullets to 3150 f/s compared to 2800 f/s for the standard Hi-Power out of a 20" barrel. According to Ackley from his book, the only difference between the two are neck dimensions and pilot used. It is a very modern looking cartridge. If I can figure out how to post a pic., I will.
Dave.

Thanks!
if i do get out it's my 54' F in 250.
had today set aside to hunt and had a burglary next door that took up my day.
Cabelas .54 Hawken
Browning BPS Upland with an Ithaca cantilever barrel
Martin Bengal
If I can get to a centerfire county, Savage 99 EG .308
Fun reading this thread even though I sold most of my 99's.. Go get em and good luck..
Well, I scored an 8 point with my Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. I did also bring a 99C in 284 on this trip. Pics to come when I get home and get photobucket fired up.
Congrats, Jeff!
I'll be carrying the 1899A Short Rifle A2 Special in 32-40 for part of the time, and an R in .250 that I picked up here on the 'fire.
I'd sure like to take a deer with the 32-40....
1928 G in 30 WCF, one down....
Took a doe last day of PA early season with .54 flintlock so there's meat in the freezer.
Opening day planning on Savage 99F .243 with 2x7 leupold on it. If weather wet and wild, old reliable 700 Remington in '06...has Rimrock stock so I don't feel too bad if it gets wet.
© 24hourcampfire