Home
Posted By: steve99 An early Christmas - 11/18/16
Won this auction recently for a prewar R with the Stith and Alaskan on board. A shooter. 300Sav, still in transit. This is a 400938. Would this be 1940?

Attached picture pre war R w Stith mt and Alaskan smaller.jpg
Posted By: JeffG Re: An early Christmas - 11/18/16
home run!
Posted By: S99VG Re: An early Christmas - 11/18/16
Looks prewar to me, but I don't know the DOB. I certainly hope that Santa doesn't throw it down the chimney!
Posted By: TomA Re: An early Christmas - 11/18/16
1941. Tom
Posted By: olgrouser Re: An early Christmas - 11/18/16
Yes! A Merry Christmas to you Steve!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: An early Christmas - 11/18/16
Great looking rifle!
Posted By: steve99 Re: An early Christmas - 11/18/16
Thanks guys. And thanks for the year, 1941. It's got some bruises and missing sights. No extra holes though, no pad, no tang cracks, and the bore is good. I'm holding out some hope that the sights are in the butt stock and the Lyman is clear. That Alaskan is missing the adjustment covers. Anyone have two they can spare? Rare as hen's teeth I expect.

Shame it will miss hunting season this year.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: An early Christmas - 11/18/16
Leupold covers work fine on the Lyman Alaskans. Contact their customer service and they will help you. Leupold is great for customer service. GW
Posted By: steve99 Re: An early Christmas - 11/19/16
GW thanks for that bit of good news.I figured to try the covers from the various scopes on hand and maybe get lucky.
Posted By: RAS Re: An early Christmas - 11/19/16
Originally Posted by steve99
. That Alaskan is missing the adjustment covers. Anyone have two they can spare? Rare as hen's teeth I expect.

Not really.

The Lyman Challenger and Wolverine scopes use the same turret covers as the Alaskans. You can usually find these scopes in rough shape and cheap. Like $40 cheap, especially the Challenger.

Just scan EBay, Gunbroker ect for a cheap one and it will be the real McCoy. Hope that helps.

RAS

Posted By: steve99 Re: An early Christmas - 11/19/16
Thanks RAS!
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: An early Christmas - 11/19/16
Steve99

Check your email my mistake Leupold covers don't work on Lyman Alaskans. Getting old sucks. crazy GW
Posted By: steve99 Re: An early Christmas - 11/20/16
oldtimer:

Yeah and it ain't for sissies either. No worries about the covers.
© 24hourcampfire