Home
I got 3 full boxes of .303 Savage shells, which I didn't think was half bad...

[Linked Image]

Oh yeah, and he threw in this...

[Linked Image]

It's not marked that I can see, but I think it's a 99H? 20" barrel. Is this a fruit wood stock? Doesn't look like walnut to me.

It does have a crack, that should be repairable with my limited skills

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lever boss code "M" which makes it a '61 if I'm not mistaken?

[Linked Image]

I'm not really sure why I needed it besides I missed having a 99 since selling my 99F in .300 SAV to my Dad, but I figured for that price, I couldn't go too wrong wink

First thing I want to do it source a tang sight and then a set of dies and brass. Looks like 4320 and 3031 are "go to" powders for the .303?

Going to sight it in with some of the factory shells in the morning and see if I can't find a deer in the next couple weeks before the season closes.

Oh, and that was $150 Canadian dollars

Cory
Good deal.
Posted By: Plab Re: For the princely sum of $150 - 12/03/16
the M is an inspectors mark the LBC didn't start until 1949
off the top of my head thats a 1930 ish someone will be along with date. it's H carbine ,,and a great price too

plab
You Stole this one! nice grab, Ebay is about the best place to find tang peep sights! go with older 30-30 loading info!
Nice grab!
Great deal !!!! 99H made around 1927. smile
Posted By: JeffG Re: For the princely sum of $150 - 12/03/16
That's a sure winner! You saved that rifle from the hands of people who didn't appreciate it, bravo!!
Another 99-H for my data list. That's #226. It's been a while since I been able to add one. Nice find.
Outstanding! As far as Savage 1899s for using, that's my favorite model, caliber and price!

Good hunting!

Doug
Originally Posted by Plab
off the top of my head thats a 1930 ish someone will be along with date. it's H carbine ,,and a great price too

plab

Thanks for that. I thought '61 seemed late, guess that's why I posted so I could learn.

The fella I got it "25 or 30 years ago" when a local guy passed away and it's sat in his closet since...said he couldn't find shells for it besides what he had wink He knew he giving me a good deal, just figured I'd give it a good home.

Any suggestions on what peep to look for? I put a Williams FP on the 99F when I had it, but looks like all the new ones mount in the receiver mounting holes if I'm reading correctly?

Cory
Posted By: S99VG Re: For the princely sum of $150 - 12/03/16
Geez, I'm calling the cops on that steel!
Cory, it was made in 1927 roughly. (oops, I see Loggah already told you that).

I replied back to you at gunnutz but have a look under the forearm on the barrel and see if it's MP marked. We used to think it meant military police but since ruled that out, just to many of them in the same serial range for it to be true.

Sure looks like a fruitwood stock.
Originally Posted by CoryTheCowboy
Originally Posted by Plab

plab

Thanks for that. I thought '61 seemed late, guess that's why I posted so I could learn.

The fella I got it "25 or 30 years ago" when a local guy passed away and it's sat in his closet since...said he couldn't find shells for it besides what he had wink He knew he giving me a good deal, just figured I'd give it a good home.

Any suggestions on what peep to look for? I put a Williams FP on the 99F when I had it, but looks like all the new ones mount in the receiver mounting holes if I'm reading correctly?

Cory

I've got 5-6 close cousins to that one grin

norm
Originally Posted by Rick99
Another 99-H for my data list. That's #226. It's been a while since I been able to add one. Nice find.

Nice find Cory, but a decent tang sight is gonna double the cost of your investment. smile

Rick99, not sure if you have these two, #302605 I got from Stever and #320987 from The Yooper before he passed last Spring. RIP Yooper.
Sad news about Yooper. I had been in contact with him about a couple rifles. When emails stopped I was worried he had passed. RIP old friend, Joe.
I sure hope none of you old coots die anytime soon or the market will be flooded with 99's. Value will drop like a rock! grin
I got another one a while back,early one with fruitwood stocks,metal was real nice,wood had been sanded heavy, cost me $315 !!! crazy but it had a 99T rear sight on it !!!!! grin grin Rick i'll get the info for you tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Loggah
Great deal !!!! 99H made around 1927. smile

Originally Posted by mad_dog
Cory, it was made in 1927 roughly. (oops, I see Loggah already told you that).

You guys are good! I pulled the buttplate off as one of the screws looked like it was backed out a tad and found this

[Linked Image]

Pretty neat! According to an inflation calculator, that's about $409 now. Imagine new 99s for that price...

Took a closer look at the plate while it was off and looks like the rifle has had some success in the past

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mad_dog
I replied back to you at gunnutz but have a look under the forearm on the barrel and see if it's MP marked. We used to think it meant military police but since ruled that out, just to many of them in the same serial range for it to be true.

Sure looks like a fruitwood stock.

Sure is, not the best picture, but looks like an "MP" to me

[Linked Image]

Best part of all, took it out and did the classic 13 1/2 yard sight in and the sights were still dead on with the Imperial 190 gr. KKSP. The deer must've realized that because they were pretty scarce today..

Cory
Some Neat History with the rifle! Id slip it back in and add a pic with your info to it!
grinI think Henry Gibson used to play in Rowan and Martins "LAUGHIN" !!!! grin
I had a 99G 300 that was MP marked. The seller sent along a copy of an article that said the MP marking was put on Royal Canadian Mounted Police rifles. Not sure why they would spend the bigger bucks for a G. 99H makes more sense from the cost standpoint. David
It's hard to find any 1927 production 99 that does not have the MP marking.
A heartwarming story! Heartwarming, aside from the note under the buttplate, in that good deals are still to be had. I have to admit that you had me going at first, thinking "whyinhell brag about paying $150 for three dodgy boxes of old .303 ammo", but then...
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A heartwarming story! Heartwarming, aside from the note under the buttplate, in that good deals are still to be had. I have to admit that you had me going at first, thinking "whyinhell brag about paying $150 for three dodgy boxes of old .303 ammo", but then...

up nort here 303 ammo is 80.oo a box,

norm
Originally Posted by Rick99
It's hard to find any 1927 production 99 that does not have the MP marking.

Well son-of-a-gun. laugh

I have a couple of 99G's both with MP stamped barrels.
#291xxx ('26) top
#301xxx ('27) bottom
Numbers match, barrels numbered to guns, looks like a stock/fore changeover and a front sight changeover.

#291xxx stock/fore look the same style as a couple 1899 250-3000 type II's I have also. #204xxx & #231xxx

[Linked Image]
Unfortuneately this was as close to a buck as I got yesterday. I'd forgot how nice they were to carry...

[Linked Image]

Any suggestions on what peep I should put on it? While I think tang sights look classic, I'm just the wondering about horizontally adjustment...I guessing just the adjust the front? I found a used Lyman 57SA for $250, which seems steep to me, but is that the going rate?

Thanks,

Cory
I'd go for a tang sight, they work great and look neat. $250 for the lyman is too much.

Mike
Lots of sights on ebay and the buying season for them is waining.
$125-150 is a realistic price range for a 57SA on eBay.
I too would stick a tang sight on it and shoot the heck out of it. Adjust for windage via drifting the front sight.

I have a spare one- PM me if you want it. (If I'm allowed to send a gun sight to Canada?) Or anybody else for that matter.
Posted By: S99VG Re: For the princely sum of $150 - 12/07/16
I'd go with a good Lyman or Marbles tang sight on that 99 too. Looks like Mr. Gibson was a 17 year old kid when he bought it. Makes you wonder how long he had it in his possession?

Originally Posted by pwomble
$125-150 is a realistic price range for a 57SA on eBay.

but thats yankee money 150 is 215 up here and shipping ,,

and yes you can ship to Canada Gary but a lot of guys on Ebay will not.

norm
Originally Posted by S99VG
I'd go with a good Lyman or Marbles tang sight on that 99 too. Looks like Mr. Gibson was a 17 year old kid when he bought it. Makes you wonder how long he had it in his possession?

The guy I got it from got it from H. Gibson's son, so I would guess most of his life.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I too would stick a tang sight on it and shoot the heck out of it. Adjust for windage via drifting the front sight.

I have a spare one- PM me if you want it. (If I'm allowed to send a gun sight to Canada?) Or anybody else for that matter.

Thank you for the offer, I sent you a PM

Cory
A Lyman 30 1/2 is windage adjustable. The last ones I saw sell went for about $250 U.S. David
© 24hourcampfire