Home
Posted By: Shortgrub Been a long drought , but. - 04/14/17
Been a while since I had my last fix, I meant acquire a Savage 1899. First pistol grip I've owned. 1899A in 30-30 with the usual tang crack and chip out at the back of the tang. But being such a straight grain stock it appears to have several cracks almost the entire length of the stock. Common? Pics soon.
Posted By: RAS Re: Been a long drought , but. - 04/14/17
Tang crack is common.

Crack along the whole stock is uncommon.

30-30 is a nice touch.

time to try pics,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Rear sight has been filed and painted. All the horizontal lines in the stock feel slightly raised. A chip and crack behind tang. Bore is great. Mfg. 1907 and matching numbers.
Very nice! Bring 'er to the next Fest.
The pistol grip sure adds elegance.

Could be just long dark grain that looks like a cracks. ?? Dry wood?
It's an old rifle. Hard to tell from the pics but likely been lightly sanded/finished by previous owner. Maybe just some ancient finish that needs a little attention. I'm only guessing, the rifle is in your hands.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Been a long drought , but. - 06/16/17
Yeah, does look like the stock has been redone with the metal proud to the wood at the tang. But that's some nice walnut, and agree that the pistol grip, perchbelly and fluted comb make that a nice gun. Very nice.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Been a long drought , but. - 06/16/17
Yeah, you never sand a stock, especially anywhere in the vicinity of metal. But regardless, that's a nice 1899. We should all be lucky enough to have "proud metal" at age 100!
Neat looking old rifle!
Originally Posted by S99VG
We should all be lucky enough to have "proud metal" at age 100!

I'd settle for semi-proud wood.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Been a long drought , but. - 06/17/17
Still a nice old rifle......a certain amount of class there yet.
Yep, I have to say she is sweet to hold. I'm really likin the old grey ones. I wished she could spin a yarn or two. Feel the history in firearms like most of mine.
© 24hourcampfire