Home
Posted By: Calhoun Quiz time - 05/22/17
Okay, thoughts on this 250-3000? The picture doesn't show it very well, but it is a perchbelly buttstock.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JeffG Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
Wrong front sight ramp for an early 250-3000? Replaced barrel? Is the barrel address the correct vintage?
Posted By: 99guy Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
What is the serial #? Do they all match?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
Barrel address is the right vintage for the gun, and all numbers match.
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
Doesn't look very perchy to me.
Too much info missing from pics, s.n., barrel address, barrel length, caliber, etc.
Possibly a 99G ~s.n. 300xxx+ ??
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
Forend checkering looks like a later style G model.

Receiver bluing looks more G than M.250-3000, too. Could be the lighting though.
Posted By: RAS Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
Let's see what the trigger looks like.
Also, don't see a takedown latch. Solid frame?
It's definitely a takedown, look at the front of the receiver.

I do agree, it looks a lot like a G.

There was a 99G in 300 there, bottom of the buttstock was very different lines than this one. Straight bottom on the 99G, perchbelly on this.
Posted By: Jaaack Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
Can you get more info or not? If yes, is there anything stamped on the front of the receiver?
Dang.. didn't think of looking at the front of the receiver. I slipped up there, though I have a pretty good idea of what I would see. grin
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
No takedown latch?? and that sure doesn't look perchbelly to me.
It has a takedown latch, just not showing in the picture for some reason. I know, because I took the forearm off to look at the serial number. And the picture is taken from an underside perspective, which is making the perchbelly look less obvious.

I was snapping pics quick, didn't have time to frame everything perfectly.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
The important thing is why didn't you bring it home? That's a nice looking rifle!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The important thing is why didn't you bring it home? That's a nice looking rifle!

Other side has some pitting in the metal and barrel where it was left lying on something, plus the price was $1999.. no way was it going to come down enough to interest me.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
So did someone put this thing together or is it factory? Or is that the basic question?
Okay, you've all expressed the same thoughts I had when I saw. Except nobody commented on the early windage adjustable rear sight.

The serial number is 325,420, which makes it an early 1930 rifle according to my data. All numbers match, the gun library guy was nice enough to remove the buttplate. It definitely has a perchbelly stock, there's a 1925 99G in there also and the difference is obvious - though I have seen more pronounced perchbelly stocks.

The sights have been replaced, but all else looks original and it has a lot of condition. If it wasn't for the pitting, the price might be acceptable.

Now, why does it have the perchbelly stock? The manufacture date was after the stock market crash, and they produced very few guns in 1930. Rick was thinking they might have just pulled an old, unused stock out and finished it. Very possible - tho 13 years seems a long time to leave a stock laying around. And it wouldn't take but a little bit to file off that extra to make it look standard. But we've seen them use receivers 15-20 years after they were made. But with the 1914 rear sight, I wouldn't rule out that somebody sent in their early 250-3000 for repair or replacement and demanded a perchbelly stock on the new one - and Savage made one due to the serious lack of business.

But it's probably the latest correct perchbelly stock anybody has seen.

Never say never.
It wouldn't surprise me if Savage had older stocks and other parts on hand 13-years after they fazed them out. Geez, look at Numerich Arms. They must have got their start by buying up huge lots of NOS factory parts. I think factories kept a lot of older parts around as a matter of habit and as a matter of being able to provide service to customers who had older firearms. And you know, the older I get more I realize that periods of time like 13-years are really not all that long. Heck, 13-years ago was only 2004!
Originally Posted by S99VG
It wouldn't surprise me if Savage had older stocks and other parts on hand 13-years after they fazed them out. Geez, look at Numerich Arms. They must have got their start by buying up huge lots of NOS factory parts. I think factories kept a lot of older parts around as a matter of habit and as a matter of being able to provide service to customers who had older firearms. And you know, the older I get more I realize that periods of time like 13-years are really not all that long. Heck, 13-years ago was only 2004!

It still strikes me as odd.. they find a 13-15 year old perchbelly stock laying around that had never been fitted, checkered or finished. They fit it to a new receiver and finish and checker it but couldn't be bothered to trim off the perchbelly to make it current?

Would love to see the ledgers for this one. Maybe it was an employee who wanted a perchbelly. Maybe maybe maybe.. who knows?
Could be a rifle that was illegally assembled by an employee. I have a book on the Winchester 94 that shows a couple examples of this happening at the Winchester factory. Anyway, it is an interesting piece but obviously not worth the $1999.00 asking price. Thanks for putting it up!
Posted By: Harry M Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
What's the barrel length?

Tapered?
Posted By: Harry M Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
Its possible that serial number could be late 28/early 29
I have a 99G in 30-30 that was once a 1899H in 22HP. Savage made the change at the factory and it ended up being owned by a long time lifer Savage employee.

It is the longest letter I own.

Anything is possible with Savage.
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Quiz time - 05/22/17
"Possibly a 99G ~s.n. 300xxx+" I wasn't that far off... smile
I saw the windage sight, obviously replaced.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Okay, you've all expressed the same thoughts I had when I saw. Except nobody commented on the early windage adjustable rear sight.

The serial number is 325,420, which makes it an early 1930 rifle according to my data. All numbers match, the gun library guy was nice enough to remove the buttplate. It definitely has a perchbelly stock, there's a 1925 99G in there also and the difference is obvious - though I have seen more pronounced perchbelly stocks.

The sights have been replaced, but all else looks original and it has a lot of condition. If it wasn't for the pitting, the price might be acceptable.

Now, why does it have the perchbelly stock? The manufacture date was after the stock market crash, and they produced very few guns in 1930. Rick was thinking they might have just pulled an old, unused stock out and finished it. Very possible - tho 13 years seems a long time to leave a stock laying around. And it wouldn't take but a little bit to file off that extra to make it look standard. But we've seen them use receivers 15-20 years after they were made. But with the 1914 rear sight, I wouldn't rule out that somebody sent in their early 250-3000 for repair or replacement and demanded a perchbelly stock on the new one - and Savage made one due to the serious lack of business.

But it's probably the latest correct perchbelly stock anybody has seen.

Never say never.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Quiz time - 05/23/17
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
"Possibly a 99G ~s.n. 300xxx+" I wasn't that far off... smile
I saw the windage sight, obviously replaced.

Yep, you were very close. You didn't call up Cabela's and ask, did you? grin grin (just kidding!)

It seems to be sitting in the back of my mind that somebody else reported some perchbelly stocks from the late 20's. Who was that?
© 24hourcampfire