Home
A couple of months back I got a lot of help from members here in solving the loose lever problem on my 1895 Savage. I have been a little slow posting the results as spring always gets busy around here, but here it is. After getting the mechanical side working right I decided to do a little bit with the cosmetic side. The rifle has been reblued and likely the barrel was shortened to 24". However the stock does not seem refinished. It has both the "M" and "JM" stamps, as well as an "R" of unknown purpose or origin on the bottom of the stock. I sent the lever and butt plate off to Wyoming Armory in Cody to have them color case hardened, to give the rifle some contrast and have a more original appearance. Now she looks and works like a champ. Wyoming Armory got the parts back to me within a week and a half, and did the Savage parts as well as a sack full of Smith and Wesson parts for less than $100! Great service and prices, friendly folks and very highly recommended. The case colors are muted, not too flashy, which I prefer. Pretty good project for under $800. And a good shooter to boot. Here are some pics. Thanks again to everyone for the advice and help.

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/hjhuts/library/1895%20Savage

Picked up a super nice 26" barrel 1899A with a perchbelly stock and semi fancy wood on the butt stock on GB last month - can't get enough of them Savages...
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Finished 1895 Project Pics - 06/22/17
looks good
Considering what you started with you did good.
Thanks for the follow up post!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Finished 1895 Project Pics - 06/22/17
Yep, it does look good.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Finished 1895 Project Pics - 06/22/17
Wow, that's a looker! I'd say the muted color case hardening suits the rifle perfect. I'll have to check out Wyoming Armory.

Really terrific!!

Thanks for followup.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Finished 1895 Project Pics - 06/22/17
Count me green with envy, nice rifle, very good job bringing it back up to full function and curb appeal
Nice work indeed! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Finished 1895 Project Pics - 06/22/17
Indeed!
Cool.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Finished 1895 Project Pics - 06/23/17
Back in 09 when I first discovered this forum there was a thread on restored 99s. I've often thought it would be interesting reviving that thread so members could show off their handiwork. I have nothing to contribute right now as the closest project of mine was stolen in a break in several years ago. But still, it would be interesting seeing what's been done by other members as it might inspire me to finish up the 99F TD and 40 Super Sporter restocking jobs I've had sitting around for too long. It may inspire others too.
Id send for a letter, you never know when the barrel length is factory. I bought, at significant risk, an 1899CD with a 24 barrel and it lettered as such. The gun had high original condition and some other features that made me believe it was likely factory but it was still a big gamble... luckily it paid off. Your 1895 is now quite beautiful, I have a similarly restored 1895 and really enjoy it. Cheers
Posted By: JeffG Re: Finished 1895 Project Pics - 06/23/17
Originally Posted by S99VG
Back in 09 when I first discovered this forum there was a thread on restored 99s. I've often thought it would be interesting reviving that thread so members could show off their handiwork. I have nothing to contribute right now as the closest project of mine was stolen in a break in several years ago. But still, it would be interesting seeing what's been done by other members as it might inspire me to finish up the 99F TD and 40 Super Sporter restocking jobs I've had sitting around for too long. It may inspire others too.

Do a search for "tinkerbell" all sorts of 99 remodel stuff will get dredged up
Posted By: S99VG Re: Finished 1895 Project Pics - 06/23/17
Originally Posted by JeffG

I get what you are saying but I'm more interested in restorations than remodels. And besides I think Roy has taken enough heat already - just in jest.
Originally Posted by JeffG

I get what you are saying but I'm more interested in restorations than remodels. And besides I think Roy has taken enough heat already - just in jest.

cry laugh laugh
You guys need some Krylon and ceracoat this morning do ya?
Posted By: S99VG Re: Finished 1895 Project Pics - 06/25/17
I prefer my Krylon with two lumps of sugar. Again, it's all in jest and dare I say this in front of the guys on this forum but I've liked some of your projects.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Finished 1895 Project Pics - 06/27/17
That turned out fantastic!
© 24hourcampfire