Home
Posted By: coondawg .22 HP takedown - 07/21/17
Going to pick it up at lunch. Not many around NE Arkansas.The butt stock is not great but the bore looks good.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/21/17
Pics or it didn't happen..
Posted By: coondawg Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/21/17
The serial number dates it 1917. The forearm matches. Not sure about rear sight it's stamped with a circle R. Buttstock has some flaws but it has a cool wooden buttplate. 19" to the receiver barrel.
Posted By: coondawg Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/21/17
Here are a few pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/DGjsPW3.jpg[/img]
Posted By: JeffG Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/21/17
Good for You! That money was just going sour in the bank, might as well turn it into some real fun like a 22HP! I'll be looking forward to your first range results.
Posted By: coondawg Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/23/17
I've misplaced my book, is a 20" barrel takedown is a 1899H? Is that the correct rear sight?

Thanks,
Robert
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/23/17
If it's a 1917 then, yes, it's an 1899 H. That wooden butt plate is kind of cool. Looks like it still has the curve under it so it may not have been cut? If they made the plate to lengthen the pull, that sure beats cutting it off to put a thick pad on, Joe.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/23/17
Were it me, I would have bought a correct butt plate for that poor girl before introducing her to society.

How's the bore? Headspace? In a rough gun intended for shooting, those two attributes are of paramount importance. Not that this is a rough gun necessarily (well, except for the butt plate).
Posted By: S99VG Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/23/17
The butt stock looks fine. I'm pretty sure the wooden buttplate was made to fit the contour of the original - which may have been hard rubber.
Posted By: coondawg Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/23/17
The bore looks great, not sure about headspace. I do like to see a mint original rifle or shotgun but I'm drawn to the one's that have that been there and done that look for some reason.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/24/17
If your rifle has the "SAP" proof on the barrel and receiver it would indicate that the rifle was back to the factory around 1929-1930. That proof was only used for a short time.
Posted By: coondawg Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/24/17
Originally Posted by Rick99
If your rifle has the "SAP" proof on the barrel and receiver it would indicate that the rifle was back to the factory around 1929-1930. That proof was only used for a short time.

It does have the "SAP" proof on the barrel and receiver. What does the buttplate look like for this model?
Posted By: Rick99 Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/24/17
[Linked Image]

Best to use one of these repro's. This one is on Brownell's but there are others.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/24/17
Some on ebay too.

Link

Link 2
Posted By: coondawg Re: .22 HP takedown - 07/24/17
Thanks!!
© 24hourcampfire