Home
Savage must not have made but a few early cut checkered 110's in 7mm mag. Cartridge legitimized by Remington in 1962, this Savage rifle made in 1963/P date code. As I said, this is cut checkered. With stamped checkering starting in 1965, that's 2-3 years for Savage to make a few cut checkered ones. Does anyone know how well the 7mm Mag took off the first three years of production for Savage? Were production numbers high or were shooters slow to engage the new fire breathing 7mm? I think this is the only one I've ever seen. Did they ever produce a 300 mag in a cut checkered pre-1965 rifle?

Regardless of rarity, this one is going hunting with Roy.
No help here. I only have data on a few early 110's.
What's interesting to me is the 39,xxx serial # on a 1963 rifle.
Roy,

Have no idea on your questions. But I will throw in a plug for the 7mm Rem Mag. It is an incredible round. My favorite big boomer.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

You should establish yourself as the resident 110 expert. There's much information on 99s to be found in this forum but not enough on other things Savage.
What is this 110 model of which you speak? You mean to tell me there are other bolt actions than Mauser/Springfield/Winchester? Oh well, I guess not everybody can own a "Rifleman's Rifle" (or a 99). whistle grin
There is another bolt gun. Its called a Krag - though I do like my Super Sporters too. I guess I'm just low class.
Originally Posted by S99VG
Originally Posted by Fireball2

You should establish yourself as the resident 110 expert. There's much information on 99s to be found in this forum but not enough on other things Savage.

I threaten to turn off the computer for good about every other week so I don't think I have the temperament for it, let alone much knowledge to add. JeffG and Deerstalker are your men. I'll contribute a little.
There is another bolt gun. Its called a Krag - though I do like my Super Sporters too. I guess I'm just low class.

The Krag makes you a gentleman of distinction and fine taste. I bet strange women pay your bar tab too, if you own a Krag.
This is quite the conundrum. When did savage quit calling them the 18110? We're some stamped 18110 but called 110? I am so confused.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

The Krag makes you a gentleman of distinction and fine taste. I bet strange women pay your bar tab too, if you own a Krag.

"I don't always shoot rifles, but when I do I shoot Krags (unless they are Savages). Stay on target my friends."
many others know more by accident than i do on purpose after playing with 110 for years. my brain is turning to mush and i have to turn to others for information i knew for years.
i was enamored with the ad campaign Savage ran way back when about the "three rings of steel" . if i remember that was just about the same time they birthed the 7mm mag in the 110.
during that era most rifleman were turning up our noses at the "queer" metric loadings. the 6mm went through several incarnations before it was accepted. Savage was in the middle of the scramble with the 340's and 110's.
Remington of course held the most 7mm/mags in the 700 but i remember a cousin had one in the 110 and he also had a 300 win mag. thats as far as my brain will dredge just now.
ps. i checkered one for Bob Peterson but as far as factory cut checkered i disremember.
Roy:

That gun is only hard to find if someone is looking for it. wink

grin
There was about 7-8000 110's made in 1963.
Originally Posted by Angus1895
This is quite the conundrum. When did savage quit calling them the 18110? We're some stamped 18110 but called 110? I am so confused.

This is my first time hearing about an 18110 stamp, any chance of seeing pictures and getting the serial number range?
some 110's sold via Sears received a different model no can't recall right now if that was one of them.
only reference i can find is the model 18 410 bolt action shotgun.

Didn't Savage come out with the 18110 about 230-years before the 18340!
I see older Model 110s every now and then usually in 243, 270, 30-06, or 7RM. They usually have very nice stocks, and I see more left handed ones than right handed. I have heard they made the early 110s in 250-3000 and 300 Savage but have never seen one in the flesh.
I think the 110 is something worthy of more talk on this forum. Especially the early 110s.
I agree. The 110 early ones are quite nice. BTW I was being SARCASTIC about the 18110. In reference to 1899 stamped 99 s.
I agree. The 110 early ones are quite nice. BTW I was being SARCASTIC about the 18110. In reference to 1899 stamped 99 s.

I figured, hence my "wisenheimeresque" reference to the 18340. Now if we can get some of the experts to break loose with some dandy information on the 110!
My first contribution to the 110 trivia data base-

The 1963 7mm magnum stock is cut checkered, like the earliest 110's, but dimensionally it is larger in the forearm and pistol grip, like the later 60's stamped 110's. The slimmer profile of the earlier 110's is the big attraction IMO. I don't know if it's larger because it's newer or because it's a 7mm magnum.
I have a left handed 110 in 308, LBC "K" (1959), Chicopee barrel address. It's a beauty but building construction season is rapidly coming to a close here and I don't have time to go though the twists and turns of posting photos. I'll try to remember to post them once the snow flies and I have the building completed that will include my new photo studio. David
I had a LH 110 in 264 Win Mag. Till the barrel locking ring split, then rebarelled it in 7 Rem Mag.
Heres my 110 in 264 mag! the lock ring is still whole on this one.

[Linked Image]
Sorry guys, but the 100 always kind of looked unfinished to me- there's no bolt sleeve!
© 24hourcampfire