Home
SN 393022. I believe Mr. Royal (thanks for all your help) speaks of this dark checkered walnut on page 80 of "A collectors guide to the Savage 99 Rifle"
It appears to have a "Hoppes" dribble on the left side of stock.
This thing was 1/2" MOA on the range Sunday with iron sites at 50 yards, and trust me, it's NOT the shooter!

Not sure of it's value, but I paid under $500. That's what I listed it for insurance value though.
All photos here--> https://sportsdad60.smugmug.com/Savage-99EG-1940/n-Qb529Q/

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Collector, accumulator, hoarder, it's all the same.... grin

Nice rifle.
That one will definitely work! Good find.
Thank you gents. The walnut really puts forth it's "best dress". Awesome shooter. I think this will take a deer this fall.
Perfect.
Nice rifle! 1/2MOA at 50 yards= 1/4". Are you sure about that? If so, bake a cake and invite us over!
Okay, well, it was 1" MOA on Sunday, things tightened up since then, and the fish grew...

First two were flyers (then I started breathing) last 4 grouped nice.
The big hole is from a Ruger .44 magnum Deerstalker.

[Linked Image]
Judging by your pictures I'd say you did damn good! Ya gotta love a nice EG.
Not casting aspersions here! That's pretty decent shooting. I bet that guys before you killed a metric ton of deer with it.
Yeah, the guy that owned it before me was an author of a couple of deer books (White tail and Mule) and Sports Afield writer as well as Outdoor life.
Search on Amazon for "Norm Nelson deer hunting"

Oh Holy Crap, this is a most wonderful rifle.

Trust me, at one time long ago, I was a gunny writer, one who published over one-million decent words, and Norm and I HUGGED when first we met ... and both of our wives cried.

Norm was and ABSOLUTELY IS the real deal. Trust me, one of his rifles is a true treasure of the first order and I personally wished I owned it.

Of that you can be assured.

May GOD Bless You and Yours Forever,

Steve

That's a dandy rifle right there.

Bring back pics in November.
That'll work for sure . Nice rifle.

Lee
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Oh Holy Crap, this is a most wonderful rifle.

Trust me, at one time long ago, I was a gunny writer, one who published over one-million decent words, and Norm and I HUGGED when first we met ... and both of our wives cried.

Norm was and ABSOLUTELY IS the real deal. Trust me, one of his rifles is a true treasure of the first order and I personally wished I owned it.

Of that you can be assured.

May GOD Bless You and Yours Forever,

Steve

Steve, were you by chance an editor for Sports Afield?
Check your PMs please. Thanks for the kind words about Norm.
Nice EG! From the recent symptoms observed, my long-range, internet diagnosis is you have caught "Savage Fever". :-)
welcome fellow junkie. We have all been there and a few choose not to leave. Enjoy the trip!
Thank you fellas. I feel right at home here. Hi my name is Brian and I am a Savage holic.
Originally Posted by Sportsdad60
Yeah, the guy that owned it before me was an author of a couple of deer books (White tail and Mule) and Sports Afield writer as well as Outdoor life.

Did you buy that rifle directly from Norm Nelson?
No, norm has passed onto the great hunting grounds. I purchase from his widow.
Originally Posted by Sportsdad60

I remember reading Norm Nelson articles.
THanks Moosemike.
Norm's family and mine go back to 1950's.
As a matter of fact there is rumor I may be his child as my mother and he had an affair during that time.

Pics below: Norm and his first wife in 1960, my sister is in the foreground.
2nd pic is a Montage I put together for Norm before he passed. I had it stretch on canvas. I'd kid him all the time about being one of the last great white hunters every year I visited and I think he liked that title.
3rd pic is Norm and I last fall. I brought my SKS out for him because he didn't own any commie rifles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire