Home
Posted By: Sportsdad60 Post war Savage 99R. - 09/23/17
I don't think the stock matches the SN , the last 3 on stock do not match last 3 on receiver.
What else doesn't match? Another parts gun?

Photos --> https://sportsdad60.smugmug.com/660771-Savage-99R-1951/n-29bSHR

[img]https://sportsdad60.smugmug.com/660771-Savage-99R-1951/n-29bSHR/i-SsP8VM8.[/img]

Posted By: Calhoun Re: Post war Savage 99R. - 09/23/17
In the 50's, the stocks were stamped with an inspection code rather than the serial number like they did earlier.

Thinking it's probably correct. Should see the same inspection stamp on forearm, buttplate and buttstock.
Posted By: RAS Re: Post war Savage 99R. - 09/23/17
In those post war guns, the rule of having the full serial number stamped on the forearm and butt stock does not apply.
Posted By: steve99 Re: Post war Savage 99R. - 09/23/17
Looks to me like a straight rifle, even condition all around. As others have said the number match isn't critical.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Post war Savage 99R. - 09/23/17
Sometimes I wonder the value of sweating over serial numbers. Sometimes the right parts are good enough unless its a real special specimen. That 99R looks like a solid rifle to me and far from a parts gun.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Post war Savage 99R. - 09/23/17
Originally Posted by S99VG
Sometimes I wonder the value of sweating over serial numbers. Sometimes the right parts are good enough unless its a real special specimen. That 99R looks like a solid rifle to me and far from a parts gun.

If it was a vaunted Winchester model 70, no collector would care if the stock had been replaced, if it was still correct in configuration.
Posted By: Sportsdad60 Re: Post war Savage 99R. - 09/23/17
Okay, this one goes up for sale in the WTS forum.
Thanks fellas!
Posted By: Sportsdad60 Re: Post war Savage 99R. - 09/25/17
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by S99VG

If it was a vaunted Winchester model 70, no collector would care if the stock had been replaced, if it was still correct in configuration.

It is interesting that the Model 54 isn't nearly as valued as the Model 70 even though it was the same rifle sans extraction on bolt and floor plate release to unload.
And another mystery is, there is not nearly as many 54's as 70's. Grandfathers to fathers regarding design!

Posted By: S99VG Re: Post war Savage 99R. - 09/25/17
Personally, if I was drawn to Winchesters it would be to the 54 way before the 70. As you said, it's pretty much the same beast.
© 24hourcampfire