Home
Posted By: S99VG Coast to Coast 285 or Savage 7J - 10/09/17
A gun show I went to last weekend had a Coast to Coast 285 22 auto in pristine condition. After some google research I discovered its a private labeled Savage/Stevens/Springfield 7J. Most of the sites I found seemed to suggest the the Savage 7J was not a good little 22 as they tended to frequently jam - some even referred to it as the "Jammomattic." This 22 looks brand new but if it was a frequent jammer then that might explain the condition. Anyone have any experience with the Savage 7J?

The following link is a list of private label "hardware store" Savages (and a few other brands) I came across in my search:

www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.gun-cross-reference-1.html
I'm pretty sure Remington trademarked "Jammomattic" with their centerfire auto loading rifles.

Mike
Ah crap, and I thought you were going to say something about the Savage 7. Anyway, I appreciate the humor.
I can't tell you much either, it's to new for me - I did try to look it up in my parts catalogs and I do not see a Savage 7J, even my newest from sometime in the 70's only goes up to 7H. The 7's were box magazine fed, I see a listing for a Stevens 87J, which is tube fed - this is a later version from that old family of 22's and has the tang safety that made the action even longer. The earlier version of the 7 seems to have been quite reliable, I have one but have not shot it much, but have never had a problem.

I too was hoping when I saw this thread jump up that someone had some good information on these.
I don't know a 7J from a 7A, B or C, it's just what I read. I have found out that the Coast to Coast 285 is a Savage 7 and that the 7 evolved through several different models (including tube and clip fed actions) to become the last version with a tang safety. The 285 I came across looks brand new and is dovetailed for rings. I know where it will show up next and may take another look. My primary concern is how well it feeds, or jams, depending on your perspective.
© 24hourcampfire