Home
Posted By: JohnL Barrel Band, Baby - 10/10/17
Sorry if you’ve seen this elsewhere. Been looking at Savage 1899/99 rifles for years but had too many other pressing interests. Lately, I have decided that I need one and it has to be a carbine. The SRCs and Barrel Bands are my favorites. So I bid too much for this BB in caliber 250-3000. Made in 1935. Photos don’t do it justice.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/10/17
That's one of the really hard to find configurations. Congrats!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/10/17
Good for you! You probably didn't overpay at all!
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/10/17
That's great start. A 99H in .250-3000 is a sweet rifle. Congrats!
Posted By: steve99 Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/10/17
That one was worth waiting for. Nice carbine.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/10/17
Now throw on a good receiver or tang site and you got it made!
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/10/17
Awesome!! Congrats
Posted By: saddlering Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/11/17
good Grab! Love mine!
Posted By: kiwi Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/11/17
You are lucky Never seen one down under, Well Done
Quality remains long after Price is forgotten
Posted By: 5savage Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/11/17
Wow! great looking gun. I really like the wear, that really gives it character. Now if only you knew some of it's hunting stories.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/11/17
Saddlering you are right, that barrel band 250 SHOOTS. The only one I have is in 30/30 and I would never sell it.
Posted By: Sportsdad60 Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/11/17
Congrats! That's a beauty!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/11/17
I have 237 ea. 99-H's in my data. Of those about 9% are .250's.

Post or PM your serial and I will add to my data.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/11/17
Originally Posted by Rick99

Wow! that just made my desire spike again!
Posted By: Jericho Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/11/17
I saw a BB carbine in 250-3000 a couple years ago but it was butchered and priced very high
Posted By: JohnL Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/12/17
I appreciate all the great comments! I was lucky to find this one that’s for sure. Now all I need is some ammo. Does anyone have an opinion about whether the new Hornady 250 ammo would work in this carbine? Thanks again!

John
Posted By: wisconsin99 Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/14/17
John-Really nice looking rig you picked up! I have some extra 250 ammo....PM your address and I'll send you a box. Then you can report back on how she shoots.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JohnL Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/14/17
Wisconsin99,

I PM’d you. Thank you! That’s a super generous offer but I would be more than willing to pay for a box.

John
Posted By: saddlering Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/18/17
I took my 250 Barrel Band to the range, yesterday, and with the 87 grain Speer Hot cores, this thing is a tack driver, its been D&T when I got it from Roy, I put a 2x5 Kales scope on it, 50 yrds I belive I could head shoot rabbits, at a 100yrds shooting at a 3" spot I had 1 3/4 to 2" groups! its going deer hunting this year! I did try 100 grain bullets, they were ok at 50yrds but realy opened up at 100, Ill stay with the 87 Hot cores, and they are on sale again at Midway!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/18/17
Very nice!
Posted By: JohnL Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/22/17
Originally Posted by S99VG
Now throw on a good receiver or tang site and you got it made!

Well, I got a Lyman 30 1/2 tang site for my BB. A couple of questions: first, do you guys think I’ll have to change the front sight? Any recommendations for a good front sight? Which direction do I drift off the old rear sight? And what filler plug would you recommend for the old rear sight dovetail. I’d like to get one that blends with the barrel. Photos to follow.
Posted By: JohnL Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/22/17
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ed7189 Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/22/17
If anybody is interested there is a 99H 250-3000 in what appears to be nice original condition up for auction at Poulins auctions in 7 days.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/22/17
I would fire a few rounds and see where it prints with the stem of the tang sight down as far as it will go. If the stem looks like it could go farther but won't take it out and see if there is a pin in the bottom.

Knowing where the rounds print from the center and at a measured distance will allow you to calculate the front sight height needed if shooting high.

Blanks are where you find them and in all styles and time periods. If you can't find an old one you might have to shape one from a new blank and experiment with some cold blue to duplicate the condition you want.

Sight comes out to the right when looking from the butt end of the rifle.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 10/22/17
The front sight pictured on the gun is not an original Savage sight anyway. Looks like a Remington to me.
Posted By: JohnL Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 07/24/19
Got a letter for the barrel band. It was sent to Sears, Roebuck & Co. in June of 1935. Again, not the most exciting news but worth a shot and completes the picture for this rifle when my heirs sell it in hopefully many decades from now.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 07/24/19
Thanks for the follow up info.
Posted By: dallased Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 07/28/19
Originally Posted by Rick99

Rick, can I send you a serial number and is it possible to tell if it was originally a barrel band? I have a 250-3000 that sure looks like it but the front sight is completely wrong. Someone drilled and tapped it at one time but it is in great shape and shoots superbly.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Barrel Band, Baby - 07/28/19
Are you asking if I can tell if it was originally a 99-H from the serial? The answer is "no". Might tell from good photos of the rifle.

The earliest Barrel Band 99H I have in my data is in the 330xxx range.

The earliest .250 Barrel Band 99H I have in my data is in the 342xxx range. (About 60 later than yours...I found a note on your rifle in my data. We weren't sure at that time if it was a 99-H. Different butt stock and front sight.)

Did you check to see if the wood was serialed to the rifle?
© 24hourcampfire