Home
Posted By: roundoak Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/11/17
Hornady has added 250 Savage 100 gr, InterLock to their CUSTOM ammo product line.

I reload Hornady's InterLock 139 gr and 154 gr bullets for the 7x57 Mauser and use their American Whitetail 30-30 Win. 150 gr InterLock ammo. Accurate and very reliable on big game.

Went to the LGS to buy a deer license and the owner asked if I had seen Hornady's 250 Savage ammo. Long story short, I walked out with a couple of boxes to try in my 99-A. The 87 gr Speer Hot-Cor has been my favorite Whitetail bullet for years, but after recent range sessions with the Hornady ammo I may try to fill a couple of my 5 tags with it this season.

The 99-A likes it a lot.

[Linked Image]
I'd take those groupings! Thanks for the range report!
Posted By: Oldfolks Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/12/17
I bought four boxes for my 1899 .250 Savage. Plan to try it out on some SW Georgia bucks and hogs.
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/12/17
Oldfolks,
Let us know how these work in your 1899, which has a slower twist than the post 60 99s, which I'm assumin roundoaks 99-A is.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/12/17
Yes, the 99-A is (circa 1972) 1-10" ROT.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by roundoak

[Linked Image]

I just love your rifle, great wood and blue. I could spend the rest of my hunting days with a 99-A in 250/3000.....especially yours...grin...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/12/17
Me too
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/12/17
I like that checkering. Have seen several of the 99 As done like that. Wonder if it was done by one person?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/12/17
Lo and behold, the only post-mil 99 I would take.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/12/17
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I like that checkering. Have seen several of the 99 As done like that. Wonder if it was done by one person?

I am the second owner and original owner had the gun checkered by Charlie Cournoyer who owned a gun shop in South Milwaukee, WI. He purchased the gun from the shop. A sales receipt, hang tag and manual was included when I bought the rifle from the man's widow.

The 99 had a Weaver K 1.5 in Weaver mounts and I hunted deer with it until I found the need for more magnification for wacking coyotes on the farm.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/12/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Me too

Me three, or four, or how ever many of you already drooled on your key board..., That's a sweet looking rig! If they'd done it like that first time the 243 would never have been invented.
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

I am the second owner and original owner had the gun checkered by Charlie Cournoyer who owned a gun shop in South Milwaukee, WI. He purchased the gun from the shop. A sales receipt, hang tag and manual was included when I bought the rifle from the man's widow.

The 99 had a Weaver K 1.5 in Weaver mounts and I hunted deer with it until I found the need for more magnification for wacking coyotes on the farm.

Roundoak,

So the rifle has factory wood as shipped from Savage.....Wow! What is the barrel length on the rifle?

Doc
Posted By: roundoak Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/13/17
Doc, 20" barrel.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/14/17
"So the rifle has factory wood as shipped from Savage.....Wow! "

"...original owner had the gun checkered by Charlie Cournoyer who owned a gun shop in South Milwaukee, WI."

Original factory wood but not factory checkering.
Posted By: Marcruger Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/14/17
Lovely rifle. Just right.
Posted By: rikker9999 Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/21/17
Shot the hornady ammo thru my premil 250 99f and it was the best group I ever shot with that gun. Went home and ordered four more boxes.
I may have to do a Hornady vs my reloads test now, you guys crowing about it peaked my interest! smile

Today I'll be testing some BLC(2) in .250 with 2 different types of 100 gr pills and annealed necks to see how they hold up. The pills are Sierra Pro Hunter (measuring .95 L ) and Remington SP (.93 long)

[Linked Image]
Well, the Sierra bullet blew away the Remington (both 100gr) using BLC(2) powder same grain charge. No photos of targets, but I know what bullet I'm using in the future....Sierra

It was Savage day with my buddy Bob (who bought 9- 308's from Norm's collection)
He brought two, I brought 3. Fun day at the range experimenting with various hand loads, box ammo/calibers (.308, .300, .250) and seeing what scopes worked best with their match ups that Norm had picked out.
Two Tasco scopes were put in the trash after today's excursion. smile

The H-335 sure does put out a fireball, but it beat the box Remington .308 round for accuracy. (last still photo)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/21/17
Do either of these 250-3000s have a 1 in 14" twist? My 1955 vintage 99F does. I wonder if it would stabilize that Hornady ammo.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/24/17
That's pretty amazing shutter timing to get a picture of your muzzle blast! I'm surprised it's so big!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/24/17
Originally Posted by JeffG
I'm surprised it's so big!

That's what she said..
LOL Steelhead.

JeffG, I did a screen shot from the video I was recording.
I was surprised too. So much that I checked the powder charge a 3rd time at the range online! H-335, 42.5 gr, 150 gr Sierra SP. The box ammo my buddy was using didn't make a fireball....
Posted By: crowmagnum Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/24/17
Shouldn't the object be to complete the powder burn within the barrel?
Crow, after doing a "H-335 muzzle flash" google search, I found a post from a gent that called Hodgdon to ask about the known muzzle flash with H-335.
Here was his reply:

H-335,Blc and and BLc-2 as you probably know are double based ball powders. That is, they have a certain precentage of nitroglycerine added to give more power and as an added feature, better storage abilities. One of the byproducts of the high nitro content in H-335 is the generation of hydrogen gas. Depending on the cartridge it could be lots of hydrogen gas. Now when the round is fired as long as that hydrogen gas is contained in the barrel, nothing happens. But when the bullet exits, that hydrogen gas literally explodes in a very bright flash and extremely loud report.
I used to load H-335 in a Remington Model 660 with 20" barrel. In the middle of a Nevada summer at just about high noon, my buddy and I were shooting at tin cans and other targets of oppotunity. I broke out the .308 and torched off a round. The blast was something else but the 4 foot wide ball of fire was actually brighter than the sun. That's when I got interested and gave Hodgden a call asking about it.
I had a small amount left over from all those years ago and used it in my .35 Whelen. It's a darn good powder for that cartridge and I'll have to get more on my next powder run.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 10/24/17
I guess now you have to wear those special solar eclipse sunglasses whenever you shoot it...
I used it in a 20 inch 35 rem for a while and it also had a wicked muzzle flash. I use it in a 223 with a 24 inch barrel and have no more flash than with any other powder.

Mike
Posted By: Marcruger Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 02/09/18
Hey Guys,

Finally found time and reasonable (32 degree) clear weather to go try the new Hornady Custom 250 Savage 100 grain ammo. 600,000 serial # range 99EG. Lyman tang peep. 100 yards benched off of good bags.

No dice! Shot two foulers, then six for the record. Five of the six went into a 5-inch "group" (if you can call it that). Number six hit a foot low. Yep, a foot. All shots felt like they broke clean.

Lest you say it is the "monkey behind the crank" or the rifle, this EG will group an 87 grain Hot Core into 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" on command at 100 yards with the peep. It may do better, but my eyes cannot discern any better than that!

I use a homemade target of dayglo yellow poster paper with a 1.5" black cross spanning the whole paper. Looks like a crosshair behind the front bead. Otherwise, the groups would be much larger. Open sight shooters may want to consider this trick.

So, these Hornady's are relegated to foulers. That Pre-Mil twist just won't stabilize 100 grains, at least THIS Pre-Mil won't.

It was worth a try, as you just never know.

Best wishes, Marc
Posted By: Marcruger Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 02/09/18
"Do either of these 250-3000s have a 1 in 14" twist? My 1955 vintage 99F does. I wonder if it would stabilize that Hornady ammo."

Obviously from what I just posted above, this 1-14" twist will NOT stabilize the new Hornady ammo. It was worth $32.00 to find out though.

I wonder if Hornady is selling their brass though?? Hmmmm....I better go look. I have culled tons of poor Winchester and Remington brass from new packages in the past.

Best wishes, Marc
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 02/10/18

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful rifle.
Posted By: 99in22_250 Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 02/10/18
My Savage 99A in 250-3000 just LOVES Sierra 100 gr. Game Kings perched atop 33.5 grains of IMR 4064. It is deadly on NH whitetail too.

Rich
Posted By: Goat Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 02/11/18
Roundoak that is really,really high in my list of the all time best looking rifles!!! No joke about it. It really makes me want another 1970s 99A Saddle Carbine in a bad, bad way. I know I'm talking/writing like a teenage boy but THAT trips my trigger. I got one about 10 years ago that was truly a 98% rifle except a split at the tang that had been repaired so that you had to look for it. Mine was a.250/3000 also. It was so beautiful that I was scared to hunt with it for fear of putting a scratch on it. I did kill one whitetail with it and it was a bang flop DRT. I sold it because I knew they would likely never be made again and that one was in such good shape that it should be put up for posterity sake. Than is one fine rifle!!!
Posted By: Goat Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 02/11/18
I failed to mention that mine (see above post)was a pretty good shooter too. The best load i had was with the Sierra 90gr HPBT Gameking. I don't remember the powder but it chronographed just over 3000fps. Only deer I took with it was DRT as it broke both shoulders and exited. I know that bullet is a sure Southern whitetail killer. Both my uncle and I used it for years at about 3400fps in the 25/06.
Posted By: jonesmd4 Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 02/11/18
I'd be interested in how they shoot in older 250's also. My 99 F from 1926 shows perfect bullet silhouettes with 100 grain bullets at 75 yards. I've measures the twist as best as I can and think it is maybe a little slower than 1 in 14".
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Hornady 250 Savage ammo - 02/11/18
The 90 grain Sierra shoots great in my 1955 vintage 99F with 1 in 14" twist. The shortest currently made 100 grain bullet is the Speer. Sierra is longer. I have some Remington 100 grain PSPCL bullets which I will also try. If we ever get over this winter and I can get to the range, I will report on how well the Speers, Sierras, and Remingtons shoot. I have a box of the Hornady 100 grain ammo, but haven't tried it yet. I guess it will be used in my Savage Axis with 1 in 10" twist barrel. The Hornady 100 grain bullets are longer than any of the other 100 grain bullets mentioned.

Regarding your barrel's twist rate, Mule Deer has mentioned that twist rates were nominal in those old days. Sometimes the rifling machine might rifle a 1 in 14', or maybe a 1 in 15" twist. Maybe a 1 in 13", too. I checked mine pretty carefully, and it appears to be exactly 1 in 14".

In another post I listed the lengths of the above bullets. If anyone cares I can re-post them.
© 24hourcampfire