Home
Haven't talked about these in years, and they don't get much cleaner. Bottom of stock/buttplate could be better, but look at that case colored lever and checkering and bluing. Somebody got a nice one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/720992769
They don't come much nicer than that, and the price was a steal.
I guess I'll have to start watching gunbroker again.
Nice. 99EGs are like what a buddy of mine says about Winchester 94s; everybody should have one. And to that I'd add that everyone should have one nice EG in 300. They are the quintessential 1950s Savage!

I've never seen a two screw pistol grip cap. I take it that the cap is factory original.
Huh. I learned something today.

I never felt the need to own a 50's EG .300. I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers, but I won't go searching for one either. Too new for my tastes, and post-mils are right out of there.
There was a thread about the 2 holers a few years back when I owned one!
I had to use a two holer last week...
Originally Posted by S99VG
I've never seen a two screw pistol grip cap. I take it that the cap is factory original.

Yep, factory original. Knew it's been a while since we talked, and that some folks would have missed it, and new folks hadn't heard about it - so good time to post.
Amoskeag had a .308 burried late last auction still topped 2K with the juice. It was "nice"
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by S99VG

Yep, factory original. Knew it's been a while since we talked, and that some folks would have missed it, and new folks hadn't heard about it - so good time to post.

Good info for us newbies. That's the first thing I noticed! 2 holes!
Originally Posted by RAM
Amoskeag had a .308 burried late last auction still topped 2K with the juice. It was "nice"

Knew that gun. Friend of mine. wink

He had few other "nice" ones in there as well..
I have a checkered pre war EG in 300 and an EG in 358. Both are classic, wonderful firearms.

The one bought here was a steal at that price. That gun is in outstanding condition. Wish I would have gotten it.
So are the two screw pistol grip 99s specific to certain years or was it something Savage just did on a random basis?
65x,xxx to 67x,xxx range, but not all.
So that could easily fall within a single year of production.
© 24hourcampfire