Home
Posted By: ctw Left hand lever safety - 12/10/17
Installed one of the Numrich/savage left hand safeties today on an E I was pretty exited to get this done but to tell the truth not really sure how much this would add for a south paw. This rifle is destined to have a new barrel chambered in 260 Remington at least that was always the thought but may just bob the barrel and leave it a 308. Took a few pictures but not able to post them.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/10/17
In the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" vein, I hunted with my tang safety 99DL a few years ago. I kept reaching under the lever for the lever safety. I carried lever safety 99's for too many years to adjust to the new fangled safety. For the same reason (too much experience with regular M16's) I didn't buy a left handed AR15 when one turned up in a local gun store. David
Posted By: ctw Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/10/17
Maybe it will grow on me.

I was able to get a few pictures as far as the gallery.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/12457251/left-hand-safety#Post12457251
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/10/17
Thanks for the pics! Having the right tools is what it's all about.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/10/17
I don't need a left hand safety but while we are on the subject, can you ball park a price for the install of the LH safety as pictured?
Posted By: ctw Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/10/17
Rick
It took me more than two hous to complete as pictured. Still not complete in my eyes needs to be shaped some and the trigger needs a small spot of weld and then fitted to the safety.

Perfectly functional as pictured.
Posted By: 99trix Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/10/17
I am also left handed but I have gotten really good with my thumb to release the safety. Was a little awkward at the start, but with practice it is quite easy.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/11/17
Sure seems like alot of us Savage 99 guys shoot Left handed!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/11/17
Being left handed encouraged me to go with the best lever gun made when I was 13 (1958). That was before affordable left handed bolt guns were produced. The left handed 110 was introduced in '59 but I couldn't afford a new rifle at that time and I was sold on my EG anyway. David
Posted By: Plab Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/11/17
Originally Posted by 99trix
I am also left handed but I have gotten really good with my thumb to release the safety. Was a little awkward at the start, but with practice it is quite easy.

Ditto

plab
Posted By: JeffG Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/11/17
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Thanks for the pics! Having the right tools is what it's all about.

True, true! It can't be done with a chisel and mallet, so I'm impressed, nice work CTW!
I have adjusted to a right hand world as well.
Often wondered what it would be like to have shells eject away from my face rather than flying in front of.
Never fired a lefty rifle and no desire at this point.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/11/17
I write, eat and shoot handguns left handed but have always shot long guns right handed. I guess I lucked out on that.

There does seem to be a lot of regulars members here that are left handed. Per Google: only 10% of the population is left handed.
Posted By: cmhjohn Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/11/17
Rick,

Just curious, are you left or right eye dominant? I am left handed and left eye dominant but shoot right handed (from the beginning) and get along ok with a rifle but I cant hit any moving target with a shotgun. You?
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/11/17
I'm right eye dominant. As a kid I had a duel western pistol/holster set and I was always taking the right holster off because the left one felt more natural to use. I bat and throw right handed. Drive nails left handed. crazy
Left eye dominant. Only thing I do right is shake hands.
Originally Posted by ctw
Maybe it will grow on me.

I was able to get a few pictures as far as the gallery.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/12457251/left-hand-safety#Post12457251

My son and I are both left-handed and would like to have that done to my grandfathers M-99 EG. It appears a gunsmith needs to install the safety as machining needs to be done...correct?
Originally Posted by ctw
Installed one of the Numrich/savage left hand safeties today on an E I was pretty exited to get this done but to tell the truth not really sure how much this would add for a south paw. This rifle is destined to have a new barrel chambered in 260 Remington at least that was always the thought but may just bob the barrel and leave it a 308. Took a few pictures but not able to post them.

Curious...how much was the safety?
Posted By: ctw Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/12/17
Numrich shows out of stock. I wonder how many they had?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1072640
Posted By: benchman Re: Left hand lever safety - 12/13/17
I don't worry about the safety where it is. As it turns out, I didn't need to use it. I could have left the bullets home. I could have left the rifle home. Saw no deer to shoot it at!
© 24hourcampfire