Home
Posted By: richhodg66 Stevens Model 75 - 02/20/18
Also known as the Savage Model 29, pump .22, this one was made in 1936 it seems.

I now own one, the price was right, but I'm going to have to put some money in it for a barrel relining. No problem, never been rational when it comes to neat old guns anyway.

Is there anything in particular prone to breakage on these little guns I should be aware of? What else can anybody tell me about them? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens Model 75 - 02/20/18
If you give up on the barrel reline let me know, I need a breech bolt out of a Stevens 75.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens Model 75 - 02/21/18
Although the Stevens 75 used a Savage 29 action there are differences from the Savage labeled versions. All the Stevens 75's I have seen have the earlier internals without the changes for Hi-Speed ammunition and parts catalogs also only show the earlier parts so they should only be shot with Standard Velocity or lighter loads, I suggest this even for Model 29 actioned guns that have the changes for Hi-Speed because they seem of marginal strength for continuous use of Hi-Speed ammunition.

I do not know where you came up with a manufacturer date of 1936, the Model 75 was dropped from Stevens catalogs sometime in 1933 or very early 1934 at the latest. The last catalog I have that it's listed is No 58 that has a price sheet dated June 21, 1932, it is not in catalog No 59 which I do not have a dated price sheet for, this catalog still lists the Visible Loader and I do have a later version of No 59 with a price list dated March 1, 1934 that by then has the Visible Loader counter stamped 'discontinued'.
Posted By: richhodg66 Re: Stevens Model 75 - 02/22/18
I'm certainly not sure on the date. Thanks for the info one the standard velocity ammo, I'll keep this one fed with it rather than the high velocity stuff.
© 24hourcampfire