Home
Most here probably already saw this and know it to be wrong, but I figured I'd post it anyway. I'm pretty sure the sight listed in this auction isn't right for a T sight. It isn't the right model. My T, and every one that I've seen posted, have a sight that has rounded side profiles. It looks like that sight was made for a ramp with a sight hood, hence the straight sides.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-99T...0?hash=item3d59fbd952:g:FiQAAOSwju9aiChs
Originally Posted by backtobethel
Most here probably already saw this and know it to be wrong, but I figured I'd post it anyway. I'm pretty sure the sight listed in this auction isn't right for a T sight. It isn't the right model. My T, and every one that I've seen posted, have a sight that has rounded side profiles. It looks like that sight was made for a ramp with a sight hood, hence the straight sides.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-99T...0?hash=item3d59fbd952:g:FiQAAOSwju9aiChs

If that's right, the guy that bid $80 is gunna be pissed. I just saw it this morning but I didn't know if it was or wasn't.
My 1937 catalog shows rounded sides for the sight.
It is not the same as the one on my 1935 99T.
[Linked Image]
That is not the first Lyman I've seen with a red bead and I've also seen them on Ts.

I don't know if the factory ever used the Lyman or not. But...I wouldn't say never...
If you look at the bidders ID, I think some will recognize that he knows Savage sights. Tom
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
That is not the first Lyman I've seen with a red bead and I've also seen them on Ts.

I don't know if the factory ever used the Lyman or not. But...I wouldn't say never...

Yes, I never said that Lymans weren't used, just that I've never seen one with straight sides used. Here is one that is the shape/profile I've seen, just without the red bead.

Lyman 31
The only difference I see between Keith’s sight and the one in my 1937 catalog is that Keith’s is in color vs. black &white.
Originally Posted by TomA
If you look at the bidders ID, I think some will recognize that he knows Savage sights. Tom

I do, and I also see it's stamped 31MA, so he must need a front sight for a Springfield.

Seller is either a crook or just doesn't know how to look up a sight, with the amount of sights he sells I'm sure he knows what it fits, took me 2 seconds to see it was for a Springfield.
on any of the sale sites i never believe what the seller claims the model to be when it comes to 99's.
a very few know what they are talking about but most are clueless . gives me an excuse to go through the books for hours grin
tell the wife i am doing genealogy!
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Originally Posted by TomA

I do, and I also see it's stamped 31MA, so he must need a front sight for a Springfield.

Seller is either a crook or just doesn't know how to look up a sight, with the amount of sights he sells I'm sure he knows what it fits, took me 2 seconds to see it was for a Springfield.

What is the correct designation for the T sight?
Savage/Stevens Springfield, Joe? No way for a "Springfield" Springfield.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

1951 Lyman catalog states:

31MA height .445 for Lyman ramps for Springfield, also Winchester ramps where .445 high is needed.

They must mean sweat soldered Lyman ramps for 1903 Springfields.

Still not a T designation, I believe the correct sight is a 37HC with a .360 height.
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

1951 Lyman catalog states:

31MA height .445 for Lyman ramps for Springfield, also Winchester ramps where .445 high is needed.

They must mean sweat soldered Lyman ramps for 1903 Springfields.

Still not a T designation, I believe the correct sight is a 37HC with a .360 height.

My notes say a 31JC would be right, but that is according to my measurements of the front sight on my T (I haven't removed it to see what the markings are). So, the difference between the 31 and the 37 model Lyman sights are the size of the bead. A 31 has a 1/16" bead and a 37 has a 3/32" bead. The second letter in the code denotes the sight base width (C=7/16"). The first letter in the code is the sight height (J=.390, H=.360). I measured the front sight on my 99T at 0.390" high, with a 1/16" bead, and 7/16" wide base, fitting the measurements of a 31JC. I wonder if different calibers got different height sights? Mine is a 250.
Don’t know if it translates to Ts, but my experience with Utica EGs is that .250 & 300 have higher front sights than .30-30 & .303.
B2B, you may be correct, I'm going by the Lyman catalog and never noticed the JC could be used on Marlin and Savage ramps.
© 24hourcampfire