Home
Hi, First time newbie. I just purchased a 1925 300 Sav. takedown model 99. It is missing the release button piece or pieces.
I can manually release it but would like to locate the part or parts to bring it back to normal.
Anyone have an idea where I can locate parts for this. Does anyone have a schematic of this mechanism? Thanks
Welcome Riley. I'm sure a few guys have them, but they are pretty hard to come by, so they may not let go of them. Complete forearms show up on ebay so keep an eye open there or gun broker. In the mean time, cross your fingers, maybe some one will let got of a latch or forearm, Joe.
Welcome!

It's quite possible that someone here has the latch you are looking for. Be assured however that they aren't commonly found, and usually command a premium price.

May I suggest that you remove the latch from the wood and take some detailed closeup pics of it if you can? Perhaps all you need is one or two of the four parts* that make up the assembly which would make it easier to get back in business.

* Body, button, latch tumbler thingy (how's that for a technical term), and spring.
On second thought, it sounds like maybe all it needs is the spring if it can be "manually released". Does it lock the fore arm solidly onto the barrel as it is?
If the spring was missing it would not latch at all.

Sounds like the button fell out. Remember they are just peened on the end of the shaft to hold them in place.

My takedown parts drawer is mostly dust...
Hmmm. Not even if pushed forward manually, Mike? Granted, if so it probably wouldn't stay latched.

This is an instance where one needs to push the camera lens down in close and tight to aid we armchair soothsayers!
The spring and the plunger are there, does the latch have a rod attached to it that goes down thru the hole in the plunger?
Are the latch and the rod separate pieces?
Yes. The plunger (a much better technical term than what I used an hour ago!) has a hole into which the latch button fits. When the button is attached to the plunger, the little rod on the button is peened in place, which also serves to keep the button from falling out. Are you saying you're missing the button? The button and the little rod were made in one piece.
Thanks, now I get the picture. I need the button with the rod attached.
good luck ,i have one in the same condition ,, i have seen two repaired with just a round button with a pin , not he serrated slider that is normal.
Nigh impossible to find. I'll look when home this evening, if I have two I'll sell you one, but I'm pretty sure I have but one.

If I were searching I would scout ebay for a while, and if push came to shove I would make one. Not a complicated bit.
I have a rifle with a button that appears to be an old .22 tang safety button.
I am in the middle of a takedown forearm project and I have found that it is best to hold onto the hard to find parts until projects are complete.
well i had a couple ,all but 1 have gone to new homes,

norm
Thanks guys, I'll keep on searching. The PO decided to keep the sling swivels off this old 99. I don't know if I
should repair.replace or try to find ones like this. Does anybody know what these were.-----Thanks

Attached picture P1010329.JPG
Sorry just the one in my stash. It's being saved for a rainy day.
I figured it wasn't destined to be a collecter item so I did a little redneck repair using a piece of old garage door steel
and a old kitchen cupboard hinge. The release latch is just for looks/ (non functional)

Attached picture P1010341.JPG
Attached picture P1010336.JPG
Originally Posted by Riley88
I figured it wasn't destined to be a collecter item so I did a little redneck repair using a piece of old garage door steel
and a old kitchen cupboard hinge. The release latch is just for looks/ (non functional)

looking at your pic i'am thinking a guy could cut a 3/8 bolt in half do a little filing drill a hole for the pin and there you have a fixed unit.

norm

thinking i'll do that for the one i have ,,smilie face

You just gave a few dozen shooter/collectors a skip in their heartbeat!

Mercy.
Excellent idea Norm,
2 hours with a file , hacksaw and a drill !! (and it works).

Attached picture P1010348.JPG
Excellent idea Norm,
2 hours with a file , hacksaw and a drill !! (and it works).

not bad at all .

norm
© 24hourcampfire