Home
Penned by the man himself... Jan. 1900 article

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Neat find!
Great history lesson...
Neat story but I think it a little embellished ...so,... he walks 18 miles off road through the bush in the middle of the night at a "a rate of speed the would be envied" and then sees a light and finds several people still up... he then heads back the same 18 miles carrying a saddle... I think he forgot to mention it was 'uphill both ways'.
Folks were a lot tougher back then! And survivors.
Town had a comeback, apparently. Still there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Fascinating discriptions of the time, wildlife and Tough people. Thanks
I took a little virtual 'walkabout' on google maps, this it the terrain today, don't know if it was similar in 1882.

This is just outside of town going east -
[Linked Image]

This is a few miles farther east near a forest area -
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Allowed to depart I'll say! Carrying the saddle 18 miles back to camp!
Originally Posted by GeneB
I took a little virtual 'walkabout' on google maps, this it the terrain today, don't know if it was similar in 1882.

There's a state forest just a few miles east of town now, so I'd say it likely had quite a few trees back then as well.
I think if I went looking for a saddle... I would have taken the horse with me and rode back!
An accounting from 18 years earlier.

600 miles at 18 miles per day = 33 days.

They had come around 400 miles when they reached Condamine.

How did they determine how far they had traveled in a day? Estimate based on hours?

I wonder how many acres that ranch covered, how many cattle, how many workers? Long trip for supplies.

Keep digging Rick! Good read.
I'll give him some slack....When I walked 8 miles one day, it seemed like 18....
Might be a good place to have a Savage Fest. We could retrace his 18 mile route. Anybody got a saddle? Trouble is the town isn't empty now.
© 24hourcampfire