Grade C
[Linked Image]

Grade C
[Linked Image]

Grade D
[Linked Image]

Grade E
[Linked Image]
Beautiful for a factory rifle. The charging buffalo look a little goofy but what do I know?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/02/18
Grade F
[Linked Image]

Grade G
[Linked Image]
Bookmark it, boys. There's grades A to G in order.

HUGE thanks to Fug!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Beautiful for a factory rifle. The charging buffalo look a little goofy but what do I know?

Glare.
Posted By: JeffG Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/02/18
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Bookmark it, boys. There's grades A to G in order.

HUGE thanks to Fug!

Yes, Yes, hear-Hear!!
Posted By: Loggah Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/02/18
Rory,those are nice pictures !!!! You now have an engraved picture collection !! grin How come you only keep showing a partial Excelsior grade?they need attention too.
Just wow. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by Loggah
Rory,those are nice pictures !!!! You now have an engraved picture collection !! grin How come you only keep showing a partial Excelsior grade?they need attention too.

This thread is just for the letter grades of engraving listed in the catalogs, A-G.

I don't know if I have enough pictures to do all the named grades. Fug and I actually didn't spend all that much time talking about his engraved rifles, we were having a blast going through odd guns (never say never really takes hold!), old paperwork and artwork a lot of the time!
Here's an example of a receiver that's matted, which was a catalogued option. Could also get it with various grades of engraving.

I love these matted receivers.. can't imagine how much work it took to do it.

[Linked Image]
This one I need Fug to explain to me.. It looks like B engraving (Leader Grade), but a moose rather than a deer. It's gorgeous, just not a catalogued version that I'm familiar with.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Loggah Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/03/18
The "MOOSE" one is different thats for sure, had to be made specially for someone from Maine!! grin grin
Bookmarked. Beautiful! Thanks!
John
Posted By: RAS Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/03/18
That collection is awesome. I seen one of those highly engraved Savages once, around 2006. A gun had it in a gun sock in Fredericksburg, VA. Not selling. Just had it.

Fugg is a great guy and greatly contributes to this forum. Without his input, like these pictures, the value of this site as a educational tool would diminish.

You get any pics of that T in 22HP? smile
Posted By: ctw Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/04/18
A little off the Maine subject, the moose rifle engraving looks much like the Lion rifle. I think that rifle may live in Kansas? Would like to see more pictures of it as well as what the letter said?
Posted By: Rick99 Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/04/18
We have some cougars (2 and 4 leg) in Kansas but no Lion Rifle, that I know of.
Rick
The rifle I am thinking of sold on gunroker plain wood and I believe it came out of Michigan , In some postings of savage fest pictures I saw the rifle again so it at least was owned by a member here? I thought it was yours.
Posted By: Loggah Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/04/18
Im thinking my brother has one with a lion on the side, Rory do you remember looking at the one with a lion? plain wood and maybe in 22 H.P.
I think thats the one that I forgot, at the second fest! have the Dick send it to me in Michigan where it belongs! grin
Don I would go back and look through posts but pretty sure that was during the photobucket days or at least when photobucket still worked. Not sure what caliber it was
Okay I went back through some of my old posts the rifle was at the 2006 fest , I had made a referance that the fellow that displayed it had a bunch of muskets?
The fest was the one Mrs Loggah did the shirts or artwork on the shirts. So if someone has pictures from that fest maybe a table with muskets?
Posted By: Loggah Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/04/18
Those would be Fugs muskets and rifles.
Originally Posted by ctw
Don I would go back and look through posts but pretty sure that was during the photobucket days or at least when photobucket still worked. Not sure what caliber it was

Photobucket works again my friend.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/09/18
More complete pictures of the gun with the moose engraved on it. Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The receiver engraved scrolling looks like classic Enoch Tue.
The scrolls sort of have a "snail" coil look with variations of details added all while being light/fine engraving.

The wood carving? No experience here other than it is generally understood that a fellow named William King carved some Savage stocks. I have a few newsprint references of William King carving 4 Savage rifles for 1904 St. Louis Fair.
Posted By: JeffG Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/09/18
Holy Smokes (..again)!!! That rifle barely looks like it's been handled over it's 100+ years
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
The scrolls sort of have a "snail" coil look with variations of details added all while being light/fine engraving.

Definitely not a catalogued style, and no other gun has a engraved heart on the bottom that we know of.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is an outstanding example of the highest quality of a well preserved Savage firearms.
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: A few engraved from Maine - 07/09/18

The factory records show this rifle was sold to William King who was the wood carver for Savage Engraved by Enoch Tue

this is the earliest grape leaf I have seen. This is W.I.King's personal gun!!!!
Originally Posted by FUG1899
The factory records show this rifle was sold to William King who was the wood carver for Savage Engraved by Enoch Tue

this is the earliest grape leaf I have seen. This is W.I.King's personal gun!!!!

You gave it away early. grin

Talked to Fug last night for a while, and he sent me a couple more pics. Ledger shows this was sold to King, don't believe it mentions any engraving/checkering/carved stocks. But, I can't see anybody arguing that this isn't Enoch Tue and King's work. I'd love to know the meaning of the heart on the bottom, wonder if he didn't give this to his wife or similar?? Or maybe his wife got Enoch to add it? The rifle is just flat out awesome though. He says it's one of only two Savage rifles he's seen with carved animals on the stock.

But it's not a catalogued style. Reinforces the Never Say Never saying.
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Definitely not a catalogued style, and no other gun has a engraved heart on the bottom that we know of.

Well, this rifle is custom from end to end and top to bottom. Nothing about it is cataloged.
Thanks for the post/pic Calhoun and the infomation/letter Fug.
A fabulous Savage rifle!
© 24hourcampfire