Home
I stopped at Ahlmans gun store in Morristown MN, this weekend.http://www.ahlmans.com/ On the back wall is a 99C with a brass plate engraved from savage arms to Larry Ahlman. Next to the gun is a piece of paper that says due to complaints that the model 99 felt "clubbish" savage contacted Larry Ahlman and asked him to redesine the stock for the 99. The result was a thicker cheek piece, High comb and grooved forend that where reliesed in 1976 on the 99C.
Neat story.

I found a 99 with a brass buttplate and lever up here in Canada last year, passed on it cause I didn't think it was factory, know you've got me wondering if I missed something nice.
Sounds like yer talkin about the CD that was introduced in 1975.

What's this piece of paper about? Did it come from Savage or just some local folklore someone writ down?

Good story...
Its a big store and on the back wall there is a glass case with a few guns, and notes about Larry Ahlman and what he has done in the gun world. He was also a custom rifle maker.
So its been 5 years, my cell phone didnt have a camera then.

display case
[Linked Image]

The 99
[Linked Image]

Plate on stock
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Okay, that's cool. Though a schnabel forearm should would have been a lot less "clubby" than his result. grin
Great story but if "clubbish" was the issue Savage was trying to cure, why not use a design of their own. Like say maybe possibly the much loved "F"? I guess you never know what you'll get when marketing and accounting design the project.
I like the 99CD stock and forearm for deliberate shooting, but for handling and pointability when there isn't time to be particularly deliberate, the 99F has got the 99CD beat all the time, every time. Or, at least it seem so to me.

JEff
Ahlman's is still a very interesting outfit. They do some unique work there. (That forend is certainly "unique"!)
© 24hourcampfire