Home
I'm looking at a 99 in 375 win and need some help with this. My question is did the rifle model come with a recoil pad? Also this rifle looks good (it's locally on line but have not accurately looked at it yet) owner says he bought it new in 1980 and that there was only 1500 made in 375 win in the rifle configuration, and he's only put about a box through it, and never hunted with it.
So options on value and did it come with a recoil pad.
thanks for any help
Yes it did come with a factory recoil pad and how much is the seller asking? The 99 in 375 Brush Guns seem to be in the same price league as any 358. Guys just want a lot of cash for them.
He want $1,200 but it comes with a 3x9 Redfield and 400 rounds of factory ammo.
20 boxes of ammo isn't something to be sneezed at.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
20 boxes of ammo isn't something to be sneezed at.

ESPECIALLY in Alaska!!!

Buy! Buy! Buy! Only way that it would be better is if its in the org box. GW
I think 1500 guns is on the high side. I think its actual less than a 1000. The 375 99 was such a poor seller at that time that Savage ceased production 2 months before the end of the year, Like Calhoun said, 20 boxes of ammo is nothing to sneeze at considering what it sells around here for if you can find a box.
I have no interest in a 375 win, but I woudn't let this one get away if the rifle is as described. Conservatively, there is $ 600 worth of ammo alone.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790040823
Brushguns routinely go for more than a $1,000. JMO

Lee
Heck 20 boxes of new .375 Win is probably worth $1000+; if it is the old 250 grain, even more, It's a no brainer from my perspective.

We don't know how many were made. We do know it had to be a fairlly low amount. I've heard that 1500 count before, but there is no data to back it up. I once tried to estimate how many may have been made based on asumptions of how many total 99s (all models) were made in 1980 and estimate (guess) on what percent of those were 99-375 Brush guns and came up with a range of 800-1200, but that could be off a lot based on the assumptions.
Thanks, you guys are just confirming what I was thinking. I guess I'll just have to drag myself over and look it over.
I had a 375 Big Bore that I took a moose with along time ago, shortly there after I sold that rifle. It was the first issue not the angle eject model. Been regretting that sale every since.
It should look like this. Recoil pad could be vented or solid .. they used both.

Attached picture 09 99-375 - full right - Paint 800 wide.jpg
It does, but the recoil pad is not a solid pad and it has a white line spacer
I've never seen any with white-line spacers. All I've seen is with black. Here a pic of one with vented pad.

Attached picture D552586 - Right Stock.jpg
if the ammo is vintage factory and not reloads you are looking at the gun for close to nothing. why don't i find deals like that?????
KeithNyst
This one does have a different pad, venting is different besides the white line spacer. The seller claims its the real deal. I guess I don't care that much, because the price is right considering the ammo and a 3x9 scope, I will just change it to a Decelerator anyway.
Deerstalker'
It is simply my turn, your next.
I believe Savage also made 99A's in 375 that year. They did not come with recoil pad. The brush gun had a fat forearm with finger grooves. The 99A had a scnable forearm. With all the ammo it's probably worth the price even if it's an A with a recoil pad but it'll never be collectable.
Originally Posted by KnightHawk
Deerstalker'
It is simply my turn, your next.

Don't say that. I would have to rob a bank to afford it.
Heck of a deal!
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I believe Savage also made 99A's in 375 that year. They did not come with recoil pad. The brush gun had a fat forearm with finger grooves. The 99A had a scnable forearm. With all the ammo it's probably worth the price even if it's an A with a recoil pad but it'll never be collectable.

Ah, you say that now... then next month we'll find an ad saying there was a limited run done with white line spaces. grin

Any 375 will be desirable to many hunters as long as it's not too heavily modified. I've bought several 99's with added white line spaces. It's just been a piece of plastic that comes right off when you remove the buttplate, and presto - back to original. Never understood the white line spacer phenomenon in the 70's, but it was a thing.
This must be a 99A, it does have a Scnable forearm straight stock (just like my 358 - 99), which I prefer anyway. As this guy purchased this rifle new, he may have added the recoil pad and simply does not remember. He is older then me and I've been collecting SS for a few years now and I have CRS.
Pretty certain the 375 came with a recoil pad, though who knows if the original owner ever changed it out.
The Model 99-375 Brushgun came with recoil pad, finger groove forearm with studs; the model 99A in 375 Win did not come with a recoil pad (it had a steel butt plate) and did not have studs. Earler in the thread I posted a pic of my Model 99-375 Brushgun with solid recoil pad, and another pic of one with the vented recoil pad.

Another pic: Model 99A on top, Model 99-375 Brushgun on bottom.

Attached picture Model 99A top, Model 99-375 Brushgun bottom.jpg
I let a perfect 99A 375 go once, boy was that a mistake!
I,ve let 2 of them go thru my hands ! crazy something about those newer tang safety guns,they just dont like hanging out with lever safety models ! grin
Originally Posted by Loggah
I,ve let 2 of them go thru my hands ! crazy something about those newer tang safety guns,they just dont like hanging out with lever safety models ! grin

My guns must not be as snooty as yours, they all seem to get along. They haven't even cleared out the bolt actions yet, but the Remington sure is nervous! grin:
hey, I'm sure my lever safety 99s would be more than happy if a tang safety 99 showed up to the party with a keg or two!
my savages even put up with the odd winchester as long as it wears a lever.
FYI I recently bought 2 boxes of new Winchester 250 gr. 375 cartridges for $60 a box. Very hard to find.
The factory may have put recoil pads on the 99A 375. I only remember seeing two 375, 99A's, the one I own (DOM 1982) and one I saw at the Denver show several years ago. Both had steel buttplates similar to the ones used in the 1940's and '50's.
I went to a small gun show today and saw six boxes of 200-grain Winchester 375 for 60-bucks a pop.
That's a very good deal. Ammo runs, as others have mentioned, around $60 a box.

-Jake
So you guys are telling I should have pulled the trigger on a like new 358 brush gun 10 years ago for $450.
© 24hourcampfire