Home
Posted By: Fireball2 need input on this one - 11/07/18
Looks like a cutdown rifle to me. Basing that on a vague memory of rear sight location and the crescent buttplate. Help.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789825922
Posted By: S99VG Re: need input on this one - 11/07/18
I'm not going to venture a guess other than to say that guns made for folks with deep pockets could have had just about anything done to them at the factory. Its just a matter of how much you were willing to pay. But I will also say that for a high end 99 this one was tastefully executed. To me, most high end 99s are just gaudy or tacky. Big money doesn't necessarily equate good taste.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: need input on this one - 11/07/18
Prolly cut. Front sight looks a little far back from muzzle. Need a letter to really know.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: need input on this one - 11/07/18
Rifle should have been lettered. If it lettered I would think it would have sold.

Rear sight location makes it a rifle or short rifle barrel. So, if a 20" brl was ordered would Savage have used a rifle or carbine barrel? I don't know.

Serial makes it a 1905 not 1908 rifle. In 1905 Savage made a run of front sight as shown that are marked "SAVAGE". They were used on the Model1905 probably used on some specials, also. I don't know if that one is marked.

It is not uncommon for an early short rifle to have a crescent butt. (need letter)

Checkering is early "B" with fancy walnut which would add ~75% to the cost.

A standard/short rifle with a 20" brl...most likely cut down. Since this is an odd ball special order I think it has a much better chance of being factory... NEEDS A LETTER and probably a lot of luck that everything is noted in the log.

Posted By: deerstalker Re: need input on this one - 11/08/18
all i can say is the termination of the wrap around checkering is a first for my old eyes. usually the joining border run is underneath the grip.
i'd take it .
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/08/18
Thank you. That's just what I needed. I don't know enough to come in out of the rain.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/09/18
Originally Posted by Rick99
Rifle should have been lettered. If it lettered I would think it would have sold.

In light of the uncertainty I made a much lower offer that was accepted.
Posted By: ed7189 Re: need input on this one - 11/09/18
Roy, When you get it please post pictures. Thanks
Anything in particular you want to see Gary?
Posted By: S99VG Re: need input on this one - 11/09/18
I'm not a big fan of "fancy" rifles, but I have to say that one is damn nice!
Posted By: deerstalker Re: need input on this one - 11/09/18
Originally Posted by Fireball2

don't know what Gary wants to see, but how about a 22 year old blonde foldout nude holding it? grin

Roy i cant tell from the pictures if the border run on the wrist is the same on left and right. that would make sense. fine weapon.
Originally Posted by deerstalker

don't know what Gary wants to see, but how about a 22 year old blonde foldout nude holding it? grin

People get arrested for less than the thoughts going on in my head right now.
In light of the uncertainty I made a much lower offer that was accepted.

Special order? That thing don't even have a pistol grip. ?? wink

Seriously Dood, that thing flew under radar. Good score.
Go ahead and letter it. But don't get your hopes up that rifle specs are included.***example
It does fit the profile of a special order rifle which it obviously is.
20" is not typical but it would be a special order.
Otherwise, things look right with this rifle. JMO
Did you say serial numbers match??

***example
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/10/18
Rick, I don't know if #'s match. I suspect they do, but I got a good deal on it so went ahead and got it regardless.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: need input on this one - 11/11/18
If you got it for less than the asking price I think you killed a fat hog on that one. Checkering looks factory. If the numbers match that increases the possibility that the factory cut the barrel since it would be a factory custom. It bears a strong resemblance to my 1899H pictured on page 44 of my book.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: need input on this one - 11/12/18
Put your $45 in the mail to Savage, please.

Is the front sight marked SAVAGE on the left side?

What would a set of wood like that cost today?

If the brl has been cut it could be replaced with a correct one and let the standard donner take the lumps on value.

Sounds like you made a smart move.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/12/18
Put your $45 in the mail to Savage, please.

What would a set of wood like that cost today?

If the brl has been cut it could be replaced with a correct one and let the standard donner take the lumps on value.

Sounds like you made a smart move.

I can't believe you suggested a barrel swap! *shaking head*

It wouldn't be original to the gun anymore. it'd be a, gulp, counterfeit! grin Unoriginal parts. The shame of it. Tsk tsk.

Sorry Rick, I couldn't resist. grin The other day I took my lumps for wanting to match the stain color on a 99E 30-30 stock set, and I consider that minor. Now we're swapping barrels. ROR.

With that little fun gaff out of the way, why not make it original again? If I had a 69 Camaro SS that had been painted white, I'd sure make it hugger orange again!

Posted By: Angus1895 Re: need input on this one - 11/12/18
I met a guy in Oregon once.

Had tasty bear jerky, and a lovely wife.

I think he liked to irrigate things.

Told me once............

" I have no use for a .303!"

Nice one! Really nice one right there!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/12/18
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I met a guy in Oregon once.

Had tasty bear jerky, and a lovely wife.

I think he liked to irrigate things.

Told me once............

" I have no use for a .303!"

Nice one! Really nice one right there!

note to self- Remove Angus from Christmas list, find someone else to give this rifle to....

grin

I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge.
Posted By: JohnL Re: need input on this one - 11/13/18
Original or not, that’s just plain beautiful!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/13/18
Originally Posted by JohnL
Original or not, that’s just plain beautiful!

I hope you are right. This will be a fun rifle to learn more about. Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: need input on this one - 11/13/18
303?......

It ain't 4 me?

I am truly butt hurt.
Posted By: Rakkasan Re: need input on this one - 11/13/18

I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge. I will not reload another cartridge.

I could send you a box of .303 Savage. Save you the trouble. Any particular brand?

Doug
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/13/18
Very nice Doug, but no, I won't be shooting it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: need input on this one - 11/13/18
There was a young man in Oregon
Who hunts his bears with a lever gun.
His rifle is old,
Or so I am told,
But works just as well as a young one.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: need input on this one - 11/13/18
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
There was a young man in Oregon
Who hunts his bears with a lever gun.
His rifle is old,
Or so I am told,
But works just as well as a young one.

Bravo! You have my nomination to serve as the Savage Poet Laureate grin
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/14/18

No.
Posted By: ctw Re: need input on this one - 11/14/18
How about a picture of the muzzle.
flat, unblued.
All numbers match. It's literally in the back of the safe. I'll get it out soon for photos.
Originally Posted by Angus1895
303?......

It ain't 4 me?

I am truly butt hurt.

You blew it. You're off my Christmas list and probably berfday too. Actions have consequences. That's what my momma always said.

laugh
Posted By: JeffG Re: need input on this one - 11/14/18
So, Roy, did you but that rifle that started this post? I 'd be interested in getting back on your Christmas card list.
Posted By: RAS Re: need input on this one - 11/14/18
Can you make an offer to the owner with a contingent that if rifle letters correctly, you will take it? If not, he keeps the gun, and maybe a little holding $? That way, you will only be out that hold $, versus a hurt rifle.

I agree that special order guns can be odd. We have all seen stuff like this, that proved legit.

It’s a beautiful rifle. Your decision, but I would have a conversation with owner.
Posted By: RAS Re: need input on this one - 11/14/18
Oops. Belay my last. You bought it.
Originally Posted by JeffG
So, Roy, did you but that rifle that started this post? I 'd be interested in getting back on your Christmas card list.

"Yes" and "Gee, I don't know....." laugh grin
Here's Rick's front sight photo and Chris's muzzle photo and a few others for Gary. Anything the data collectors need to know?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The barrel is 20". Numbers are stamped on buttplate, receiver, and both wood stocks. There is an incomplete "R" stamped on the front of the receiver. There was no note in the buttstock. frown Tang sight marked SA underneath. No mark on front sight, white bead. Rear sight is the factory one for that era, I don't remember the number, you guys know it. Style 2 barrel address.

"Savage High Pressure steel"
Model 1899

on left side below rear sight
Posted By: 99guy Re: need input on this one - 11/14/18
Glad to see it got to you without the UPS gorillas breaking into 15 pieces....

(That should get Joe good and riled up) grin

I'm waiting to see the letter.

Beautiful gun regardless of what the letter does or doesn't tell you.
I'm really not too interested in a letter myself, unless you guys really really need it for some reason.
Posted By: S99VG Re: need input on this one - 11/14/18
That's a damn nice 99 you got there Roy. I'm with you, unless a factory letter is going to tell you something meaningful about the rifle's manufacture, history or provenance, then the money is better off spent somewhere else.
Originally Posted by S99VG
That's a damn nice 99 you got there Roy. I'm with you, unless a factory letter is going to tell you something meaningful about the rifle's manufacture, history or provenance, then the money is better off spent somewhere else.

Booze and cheap hookers are a perennial favorite.

For you guys that have gotten letters recently, what would you expect to establish with one on this rifle? I'm asking because I've not lettered anything. It would be cool if it was sent to someone famous, but otherwise are you likely to find out if the 20" barrel is original?
Posted By: ed7189 Re: need input on this one - 11/14/18
oooooooooh that rifle is awhsome! Looks all original. No letter needed. Great condition. You scored a home run Roy.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: need input on this one - 11/14/18
Roy, it's $45 well spent. Take it outa the savings you talked him down to. I sure would!
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Roy, it's $45 well spent. Take it outa the savings you talked him down to. I sure would!

It would help in the future for the widow I guess.
Originally Posted by ed7189
oooooooooh that rifle is awhsome! Looks all original. No letter needed. Great condition. You scored a home run Roy.

It's got some dinks and a small chip by the peep sight. Does anyone hunt with a rifle like this? Wouldn't think it would pencil out.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: need input on this one - 11/14/18
hey Roy, how about sending that poor thing over here so i can freshen up the checkering? grin

Gott Damn thats a nice rifle. have never seen that treatment on the wrist. would love to find out who checkered that Gem.
Posted By: JeffG Re: need input on this one - 11/15/18
Roy, nevermind the Christmas card, just send me your tinkerbell card, You're out of the club!

wink
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/15/18
Originally Posted by JeffG
Roy, nevermind the Christmas card, just send me your tinkerbell card, You're out of the club!

wink

If I convert this one to 22-250 can I get my card back??!!!!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/15/18
Originally Posted by deerstalker
hey Roy, how about sending that poor thing over here so i can freshen up the checkering? grin

Gott Damn thats a nice rifle. have never seen that treatment on the wrist. would love to find out who checkered that Gem.

Thanks Tom. Blind squirrel here....
Posted By: Calhoun Re: need input on this one - 11/15/18
Ledger entries for guns in this range practically always include barrel length & shape. Should also note the checkering, fancy wood - but sometimes that's left out. Also accept date, ship date, name of buyer and address if they had to ship it.
Ouch. That is so pretty it hurts my eyes. Wish I would've seen that one instead of the last Savage "must have". Very nice, I would agree it is prolly original but for the purist in me I too would love to see the letter.
Posted By: Rakkasan Re: need input on this one - 11/15/18
Very nice Doug, but no, I won't be shooting it.

That rifle is too nice to not be hunted! Like being married to Ingrid Bergman and not making love to her...

...in my opinion.
Posted By: JeffG Re: need input on this one - 11/15/18
Originally Posted by Rakkasan

That rifle is too nice to not be hunted! Like being married to Ingrid Bergman and not making love to her...

...in my opinion.

New top 24hr quotable moment!!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: need input on this one - 11/15/18
A period women (1915-1982) for a period rifle.
Posted By: ed7189 Re: need input on this one - 11/15/18
God how old are you guys
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: need input on this one - 11/16/18
Originally Posted by ed7189
God how old are you guys

I had to Google her, and not in a good way.
© 24hourcampfire