Home
The 1895's had a notch for the safety on the lever behind the trigger, and there was a hole in the front of the notch for the safety to slide into. That hole went clear through the finger loop behind the trigger.

How long did that continue on 1899's? Anybody know? I don't remember seeing it on my early 1899's, so either it didn't last long or my memory is worse than I thought. grin

Probably in David's book.. should dig that out.

[Linked Image]
Without leaving my chair to actually look, I'm thinking it went along with the 90K SN updates.
For some reason I was thinking the hole didn't go all the way through. Thanks, Mike.
Yep, 81XXX hole went right through, 95XXX square notch on the side visible.

Had to go look for myself, 2 new safe kisses thanks to you Rory.
Not home but have my laptop with. Zoomed in my 13.5xx 1899B trigger area. Not the best angle pic, but all I have. Same for 1899B 50,xxx Not seeing the hole clear through.

Attached picture 13563 lever closeup 25 percent.png
Attached picture 50.4xx - Left mid 70 percent.jpg
Keith, it’d be on the other side of the lever. Goes from the safety forwards.

Sorry about those safe kisses, Joe. But appreciate finding out I’m not the only one who didn’t know this off the top of their head.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Keith, it’d be on the other side of the lever. Goes from the safety forwards.

I should have said, not seeing a hole clear through, meaning if there is one, it is only partially through on the back side. I edited the wording in my post.
I looked at the 5 I have and the hole goes all the way through.
Yes, it is a 90K change item. The 1899 safety has a bullseye marking while the 1895 has a crosshatch pattern. All the levers till around 90,000 have the hole for the safety.
Thank you! Should do a thread on safety changes through the years. I know we've touched on it a couple of times over the last 15 years, but not sure we did a comprehensive list.

Sorry about those safe kisses, Joe.

Not your fault my safes are so damned jammed that I can't pull a rifle out without hitting two more on the way out.
Originally Posted by mad_dog

Sorry about those safe kisses, Joe.

Not your fault my safes are so damned jammed that I can't pull a rifle out without hitting two more on the way out.

Thanks for that. I thought I was just old and clumsy.
Silcon sleeves.. helps a lot.
© 24hourcampfire